Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

7 Posts

June 20th, 2022 08:00

Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition Overheating!

I just recently purchased this Dell to do Unreal Engine work, and I noticed that this laptop (although built really solid) overheats like crazy, I'm getting temps of 97C-99C! I even had it shut off on me once probably because it passed the 100C threshold! That's way too hot for a computer and of course because of that, it's throttling back really hard on my work.  Why is this happening? Is this a design flaw with the G15? Is there anything that I can do without voiding the warranty? If there isn't, this thing is going right back to Best Buy ASAP.  I don't want to undervolt or underclock, because that's counterintuitive to my line of work, I can't have my work throttled down since I do real-time work.

I have an older Alienware 18 that doesn't have any overheating issues at all, but it is much larger (and older, circa 2014), and I don't have any overheating issues with that, even though it has two GPUs and a desktop grade CPU in it.  On a bad day it hits 75C.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

June 20th, 2022 09:00

You'd be better off with a 17" workstation class system for that workload -- not with a mid-range consumer gaming system.

7 Posts

June 20th, 2022 09:00

Also just FYI: I updated to the latest firmware and software using Dell's Update Management tool and Windows 11 updates.  Would there be anything else I need to update or change?

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

June 20th, 2022 23:00

Your Dell computer can overheat because of insufficient air flow due to dust or debris blocking the air vents, exhaust ports, or a clogged fan. An overheating computer can intermittently restart, shutdown, or experience performance issues. Eventually excessive heat can cause damage to the internal components.

7 Posts

June 21st, 2022 06:00

Do you have any recommendations?

7 Posts

June 21st, 2022 06:00

It's literally brand new.  There should be no "Dust or debris" 

No Events found!