Inspiron

Last reply by 06-21-2022 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition Overheating!

I just recently purchased this Dell to do Unreal Engine work, and I noticed that this laptop (although built really solid) overheats like crazy, I'm getting temps of 97C-99C! I even had it shut off on me once probably because it passed the 100C threshold! That's way too hot for a computer and of course because of that, it's throttling back really hard on my work.  Why is this happening? Is this a design flaw with the G15? Is there anything that I can do without voiding the warranty? If there isn't, this thing is going right back to Best Buy ASAP.  I don't want to undervolt or underclock, because that's counterintuitive to my line of work, I can't have my work throttled down since I do real-time work.

I have an older Alienware 18 that doesn't have any overheating issues at all, but it is much larger (and older, circa 2014), and I don't have any overheating issues with that, even though it has two GPUs and a desktop grade CPU in it.  On a bad day it hits 75C.

Replies (5)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Also just FYI: I updated to the latest firmware and software using Dell's Update Management tool and Windows 11 updates.  Would there be anything else I need to update or change?

8 Krypton

You'd be better off with a 17" workstation class system for that workload -- not with a mid-range consumer gaming system.

5 Rhenium

Your Dell computer can overheat because of insufficient air flow due to dust or debris blocking the air vents, exhaust ports, or a clogged fan. An overheating computer can intermittently restart, shutdown, or experience performance issues. Eventually excessive heat can cause damage to the internal components.

It's literally brand new.  There should be no "Dust or debris" 

Do you have any recommendations?

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor