Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

November 27th, 2022 15:00

Dell G15 bios update not working

Dell g15 5515 r5 5600h nvidia 3050, 16 gigs of ram and 512 gigs ssd. Tried to update bios to 1.8.0 with the .exe file, and was met with thisimage.png

now obviously my wallpaper is the greatest one ever. what isn't great is the fact that i don't know what the password is supposed to be here. i tried the bios password btw. any help is much appreciated

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 27th, 2022 18:00

Hi @jwmo welcome to this free user-to-user Alienware laptop discussion forum. 

"insyde" is malware, a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) and it is asking for an insyde account password (not BIOS password). Seems that your system wants Download Malware Removal | Free Antivirus Scan & Virus Protection Tool (malwarebytes.com)

6 Posts

November 27th, 2022 22:00

ah i see that's great

i did download this .exe directly from the dell website though. could you provide the link for the actual bios update file?

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 28th, 2022 04:00

Hi @jwmo 

Support for Dell G15 5515 Ryzen Edition Drivers & Downloads includes System BIOS, Dell G15 5515 System BIOS | Driver Details | Dell US.  

Remember to download BIOS file onto your system, verify BIOS file checksum value and then install the BIOS file. Never try and install BIOS over the internet. Update the BIOS on your Alienware PC - YouTube

The free version of MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility | Raymond's WordPress, or similar is sufficient for file checksum verification. 

6 Posts

November 28th, 2022 17:00

i see, thanks for the reply. However, i checked the checksum and it was the same, but it was still the insyde application, and yes i did download from the dell website. The password prompt also still shows up. Is there anything else you would recommend?

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 28th, 2022 23:00

Hi @jwmo there are reports of insyde malware bricking the PC. 

Please download Revo Uninstaller Free to see if the insyde application is listed and can be removed. 

Double click on the insyde application to remove, then allow Revo to search for leftover data by clicking on Advanced scanning mode, then click on Scan. A new window should appear and list other files to be deleted, there may be an additional window and more files to be deleted. Then Restart (not shut Down) to remove this malware from the operating system. 

Revo Uninstaller Free.jpg

6 Posts

November 29th, 2022 19:00

ha pretty interesting coincidence because i actually have revo uninstaller

insyde is not on the applications list however

i did download from the official dell website and checked the checksum. if memory serves correctly, i'm pretty sure insyde is the utility that i used to update my bios to 1.6.0 some months ago

i'm also relativly sure some companies do use insyde as bios update?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Yoga-Book-Windows/Today-i-Received-an-BIOS-update-from-Insyde-H2OFFT-Flash-Firmware-Tool-Version-6-20/m-p/4622973?page=1

sorry if i sound like i'm being dismissive

any ideas?

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 30th, 2022 06:00

Hi @jwmo evidently Dell does use insyde on some Inspiron G systems. But it should not ask for a password "unless" user has previously setup a password. 

You are correct to be dismissive of my expectations since this is news to me. 

6 Posts

November 30th, 2022 17:00

This is interesting to me too! I have never set a password knowingly through insyde, and I only have my bios password, which as mentioned, i have already tried.

Is there anything you would know of that could help me update my bios? if not, that's ok

6 Posts

December 6th, 2022 22:00

Just checking in if anyone has an idea on how to update my bios?

thanks

No Events found!