Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 23rd, 2021 04:00

Dell G3 3579 is NVME boot possible?

Hallo, please, can somebody help me? 
I bought Kingston KC2500 500GB M.2 NVME and wanted to install OS on it. Specifications of laptop claims, this SSD should work (PCIe 3x4 NVMe, up to 512GB. And it works, everything fine. Until I wanted to install OS on it.
I unpluged mine HDD, set SSD to GPT, deleted all partitions and wanted to install Windows 10 on this NVME... Well, I instaled but, but I can´t boot from it. I tried everything. Several Windows installers (Windows creation tool, downlaod ISO from Dell OS recovery tool,...)... Every BIOS option, for example AHCI/RAID,... Everything... I formated and reinstalled it like 50 times with different options... But nothing. In UEFI mode I can´t add it to boot sequence "boot not found" and in Legacy mode it doesn´t work either. When I try to install Windows via Dell OS recovery tool, it says "we are unable to detect any disks that can be utilized"... When I install Windows from USB stick, and try to "repair" it using Dell OS recovery - it crashes after first 20%... Repairing using windows installer doesn´t work either. I also tried to install Intel RST driver during Windows instalation from Dell Driver section, but when I click at "Load drivers" during Windows installation it doesn´t show anything in f6flpy-x64 folder... Also, in Dell drivers there are som SSD drivers for example for Intel SSDs, but not for mine Kingston one... What should I try next? Can be this laptop even booted from M.2 NVMe SSD? Where can be the problem? Thanks for every solution or idea. I really want to instal mine OS on this SSD and use it. 

6 Posts

November 25th, 2021 02:00

I managed to download IRST driver not from Dell driver section, but from Intel wepages. This one showed and was able to install before OS. But I didn´t solve the problem. Then I agin formted SSD, connected HDD, booted from HDD and was looking for solutions. And: 
I found that SSD is showing in device manager as two units - KingstonKC2500 and Microsoft storage device... Also OpenHardwareMonitor showed this device as two - KingstonKC2500 with temperature readings and Microsoft storage device with capacity... So... I deleted storage pool of this device, removed it... And everything works. Withount any issues... Unstalling OS on SSD, booting from it. Everything. So, if someone has same problem as me "we are unable to detect any disks that can be utilized" in Dell OS recovery and reading this in order to find solutions... Make sure not only you formated this drive and deleted all partitions (which is recommended but probably not requiered), but if you had used this driver in device before - be sure it is not part of Storage Pool. Thats all. So sorry for bothering everybody. And sorry for mine not very good english - I´m not native English speaker. The main thing is - everything now works perfect

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2021 06:00

You have tried many things so hard to see what might be wrong.  When you install an NVMe M.2 drive on a Dell system and boot using UEFI the OS will normally install, even though it may not be able to reboot into that install.

If the drive is installed correctly, it should show in the Bios.  If you can use the Bios drivers to get Windows to install, it may not be able to boot back into Windows due to the SATA controller setting in RAID mode.  So, are you able to see the drive at all during this process?

The F6 floppy controller can be downloaded so your comment that you cannot see them means you are doing that incorrectly.

Installing Windows works best with a clean drive.  Windows will not install if it cannot create the partitions it needs.  Hopefully, you are doing this without any prior drive being installed since that confuses the installer.

The service manual shows how to install an M.2 drive and it appears to have a heat sink if it was ordered with that configuration.

And, I cannot confirm the drive actually works but it looks like it should.  Since the system can use the Intel Optane memory, make sure any setting related to that are set for a storage drive and not memory, if there are any such settings.

6 Posts

November 23rd, 2021 08:00

Yes, before most of the installations I did cleaned the SSD, formated and cancel partitions. I also tried withount, but it did´t seem to make difference, Windows installer did formating in these tries. Also I am instaling withount any other drive in computer exept USB stick I´m installing from. I coul´d find the headsink, which sould be used whit that M.2 drive, HM4TX, I phoned to local authorised Dell dealership if they could order it, but men there told me that it is completly ok to not use that coller/braket... The M.2 drive is hold by its mounting screw enought. 

6 Posts

November 23rd, 2021 08:00

I tried with SATA controller in AHCI mode, but no difference. About F6 controller, I downloaded it, and copied driver files into USB stick... There is no problem with installing it in working Windows, but I have problem with installing it in empty computer during Windows instalation, before choosing drive on which should be Windows installed there is option "Load drivers" and this driver on USB stick should show there, acording to all tutorials and articles on internet. But it doesn´t... Now I tried to make system image backup file from my old HDD and use Windows installer to put this image on this new SSD, but when the process should start there was a error 0x80042414 - Windows did not find any disk which it can use for recreating valumes present in backup... But this same Windows installer has no problem to install Windows on it, format partitions or delete them... It is behaving very strangely... I can see this SSD, I can work with it, even install Windows on it, but I can´t use any repair tools with it or boot from it. I really don´t know what to do next. 

No Events found!