Highlighted
mmeyer61
1 Copper

Dell G3 3779 thinks M.2 drive is drive 1, and won't boot from it.

Jump to solution

About 1-2 weeks ago, I went away for a weekend, and when I came back, my laptop was dead. It would not boot. I could get into BIOS, and noticed the M.2 drive was now drive 1, and the 1TB drive was drive 0. 

I booted from a windows 10 USB install disk, and used command prompt to run diskpart, and it showed the 224G M.2 drive as D, and the 99?G drive as drive C. I tried to change them, but it did not 'hold'. Whenever I rebooted, they were back to being wrong.

Since only the OS and programs are on the M.2, I decided to reinstall windows 10. It said it couldn't do anything with the partition, so I deleted and recreated the partition. Windows would still not install to that partition. 

So, I bought a new 500G M.2 Samsung drive. Windows would not install to that, either. And it still looks like drive 0 in the BIOS.

My BIOS is v 1.10 (which is current).

Anything that will help me get this thing to see the drives the way they should be would be greatly appreciated! I'd really like my laptop back.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Meg Meyer, NJ

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mmeyer61
1 Copper

Re: Dell G3 3779 thinks M.2 drive is drive 1, and won't boot from it.

Jump to solution

In case this helps anyone else, after much back and forth with Dell support, I found a post on the internet that said make sure the BIOS is set to ACHI (not RAID). That fixed it. Wish I had found when I was first searching, it would have saved me a lot of work, and a new hard drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mmeyer61
1 Copper

Re: Dell G3 3779 thinks M.2 drive is drive 1, and won't boot from it.

Jump to solution

In case this helps anyone else, after much back and forth with Dell support, I found a post on the internet that said make sure the BIOS is set to ACHI (not RAID). That fixed it. Wish I had found when I was first searching, it would have saved me a lot of work, and a new hard drive.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos