Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 27th, 2019 05:00

Dell G3 fan shaking the computer

I've had my Dell G3 for around 8 months now and recently the fans have been making a loud low-pitch grinding noise and shakes the chassis of the laptop especially where the hard drive is. I still am covered under warranty but I want to try to solve it myself before sending it off because I need this laptop for a school.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

September 27th, 2019 15:00

If you got the M.2 drive from Dell than no. Technically they might want the original drive in the system but I have read more than 1 post from users that were in a similar situation and tech support did not say anything about a user installed drive. A moderator may jump in and set the record straight if I am mistaken. The following though offers more information.

Also notice this sentence from Dell's warranty terms and conditions.

"Dell owns all parts removed from repaired products. "

So if they were to remove the M.2 drive, they now own it per their conditions. Might not be a bad idea to pull the M.2 drive and reinstall the original especially if there is data you do not want to lose.

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Can-I-remove-my-hard-drive-before-sending-laptop-in-for-repairs/td-p/5683663

https://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/policy_warranties_popup?c=us&l=en&cs=19

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

September 27th, 2019 05:00

Could you please post the exact model of G3 that you have? Are you sure it is the fan and not the hard drive that is vibrating? Now if it is the fan and vibrates that bad it could be a bearing or broken blade in the fan and it is running off balance. The only way to know would be to open the system up and have a look at the fan itself. You can run a diagnostic as well to see if the fan causes an error in testing. Restart the system and at the Dell splash screen start tapping F12. Run full diagnostics. However even though you need the system it sounds like a problem that the Dell tech support should deal with inasmuch as the system is under warranty.

6 Posts

September 27th, 2019 09:00

Thanks for the quick response. l have a G3 3579 and what will exactly Break my warranty? If I open it up? Replace items? I want to make sure.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

September 27th, 2019 11:00

Opening up the system does not void the warranty. That is why the user's manual describes in detail how to remove or replace components. Now if you replace the fan yourself and it is a part that you purchase from Dell, the part should be under warranty but I do not work for Dell so I would contact Dell service and parts to confirm that information. However if you damage anything, or incorrectly install a part while you open the system or replace the part, then the repairs would not be under warranty to fix the damage. I know you hate to be without the system but personally I would rather Dell have a tech do the repairs. That way the work and the parts are under warranty. Take it to the extreme and let's suppose the noise is caused by a bad motherboard running the fan speed up too far, do you really want to give a MB replacement a shot?

More about warranties is below.

https://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/policy_warranties_popup?c=us&l=en&cs=19

6 Posts

September 27th, 2019 12:00

So I opened it up and saw that it was a malfunctioning fan, so far I am ready to contact Dell to get this delivered and sorted out but my remaining question is that I placed a supported m.2 nvme drive on this machine. Should I remove it before sending it to Dell?

No Events found!