Highlighted
Deathray_II
1 Copper

Dell G5 15 5587 does not boot GRUB or systemd-boot

So I have a Dell G5 15 5587 laptop with an NVMe SSD. I have replaced the original 128 GB NVMe SSD with a 512 GB NVMe SSD. I have installed Windows on it and then shrunk the Windows partitions to about half of each drive (half of SSD and half of HDD) to create place for my Linux install.

So I started by attempting to install Arch Linux on it. All went fine with the install and I installed GRUB without an issue until I had to reboot. When I rebooted it waited a second or so and then went to Windows. I then used the one-time boot menu to force it to go the the UEFI entry that points to the installed GRUB. It then went black for a second and then went to the Dell system check /  recovery environment. So I then attempted to place it on the fallback path for the EFI boot but that did not work.
So I attmpted to install sytemd-boot (using the bootctl command) but here when I attempted to boot it also failed in the same manner that GRUB did.

I then used a USB stick containing Linux Mint (which directly uses the Ubuntu installer) to install a Linux Mint. It all seems to install rather fine without any errors but when I attempt to boot the same behaviour as with the previous two attempts occurs (skipping if not explicitly booting it and system check environment if explicitly booting to it).

So I have disabled secure boot and Legacy ROM boot options and the system boots in UEFI mode.
The weird thing is that the sticks boot fine (the Arch stick uses systemd-boot iirc and the Mint stick uses GRUB) but when attempting to boot from an internal drive it just straight up fails.

tl;dr: system does not boot GRUB or sytemd-boot but does boot fine from USB stick

0 Kudos