Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 11th, 2019 00:00

G5 15 5590 fan control

I would like to ask why I don't seem to be able to customise the fan curves on my laptop.

When I am gaming I don't mind the noise, HOWEVER when I am browsing the internet I don't want to hear the fan rev up and up and up then suddenly stop! Consequently it is an especially annoying habit of my new laptop.

I have tried with the alienware software pre-installed on my machine to customise my fan curves however it has no impact on the fan.

I can only seem to select slightly different modes in the power manager. For me this control is not enough.

So can anyone let me know whether fan curves are within our remit as a customer of Dell?

• 

25.1K Posts

April 2nd, 2020 18:00

Thank you for contacting us. The fan tables are presets built into the BIOS that you're only be able to notice the difference when you're running on a high processing demanding application. There is no way to change them without adding non-tested third party software, as they are coded to work in a way or sense that they keep your computer safe. As for the Alienware Command Center, it is a scaled down/limited version for the Inspiron G5/G7 lines.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 11th, 2019 09:00

"  I can only seem to select slightly different modes in the power manager. For me this control is not enough ".

---------------------------------

If you haven't done so yet, I'd suggest installing latest Chipset drivers and Dell Power Manager Service from your Dell Product Support page. You could do this by entering service tag number (or use Detect PC) onto link below. After, select the setting (Thermal Manager) that fix your needs in the latest Dell Power Manager Service.  

Support | Dell US 

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

If you already have the latest drivers from Dell.....

Please run Dell ePSA Pre-boot Diagnostic to check the Processor Fan and hardware within the computer. You could do this by following the steps below. 

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping F12 continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. 

In Dell Preboot menu, select Diagnostic. After the quick tests finished, select Processor Fan and then Thorough Test Mode. Report back any error code.

Please click on the link below for additional information.

How to Troubleshoot Fan Issues 

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln113205/how-to-troubleshoot-fan-issues?lang=en

March 5th, 2020 23:00

There is a script that allows you to see all the power settings in advanced power settings and power processor manager in power options when right clicking on the battery icon - and there you can change the maximum power frequency for each power profile you want to use (Balanced, Dell, etc). That way your fans doesn't kill your laptop for doing simple multitasks and gaming.

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 15:00

To whom it may concern,

I really enjoy my G5. It has plenty of oomph but there is one thing which really irks me. 

This is the lack of control I have over the fan curves. I can see that there are modes called; quiet, optimised, cool and ultra performance. Alas they don't really do anything. In optimised the fan starts up and stops abruptly which is really distraction. Quiet does what is says. Cool has minimal effect, when i choose this and the surface temperature is hot the fans don't actually turn up.  

Secondly, the laptop came with Alien command centre installed but there aren't any alien devices in this. It does however allow me to see the current temperatures and seemingly choose some fan curves. But they don't do anything.

So please may you help me?

I look forward to hearing from you soon. 

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 16:00

Hello Mr @DellGamingGtx,

I looked up the thread that you suggested. 

Though it seems to be a linked subject I am after a slightly different solution. I do tend to use my laptop near power supplies so I am not too concerned about battery longevity. I do however mind when the fans kick in suddenly ramp up and then stop every couple of minutes. It is super distracting and will disrupt any meeting that I am in! Thirdly there is the fact that even if the surface temperature of the laptop is hot and it is in 'cool' mode the fans won't kick in. Perhaps the first thing it does is throttle the CPU.

So is there any solution to have the fan curves respond to the temperature in a way in which I can control?

I looked into the Alien command centre tool that is on the laptop and i don't see any change even if I create a profile which has 100% offset.

Thank you for your help!

No Events found!