ABkr
1 Copper

Dell G5 5587 High Spec - Thermal / Power Throttling ?

Hey everyone,

Just bought a new Dell G5 5587, with the below specs:

• Intel i7 8750H
  • 16GB Ram
  • Nvidia GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 512gb SSD + 1TB HDD
  • 4K (UHD) Screen

I am actually overall happy with it and I must say the build quality is a lot more decent than I expected after watching tons of Youtube videos before deciding on the G5.

Now we get to the part I'm not so happy about... I am not getting consistent results in games, and well... this is advertised as a "Gaming" laptop. Sometimes games run fine on high settings, sometimes I can't even get them to run decent on low settings. To add a bit of context, I'm running all games at 1080p(4K gaming on a Max-Q 1060 is not really achievable with decent settings). Now I'm still running it on the BIOS it came with, 1.3.0.0, but I have updated Windows 10 with all the newest patches as well as all of my drivers.

After reading up on the topic online, it seems like the problem might be the 1060 + 8750H combination, as they generate a lot more heat than the G5 can disperse... Which from the start sounds like they shouldn't have put something that won't give consistent performance in there.

I've found numerous solutions, from using thermal paste to repaste the CPU, to thermal pads, cooling stands, undervolting, etc. but it doesn't seem normal to have to do this to a few days old laptop...

If anyone has any advice, I'm looking forward to finding a fix...

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChrisSlowness
1 Nickel

Re: Dell G5 5587 High Spec - Thermal / Power Throttling ?

On battery my g5 same specs but an i5 power throttles 100% of the time when on Battery, is this the case with yours?  I have not really gotten any throttling when plugged in.

It is a known issue that the engineers are working on with no ETA Smiley Sad

Caula
2 Iron

Mine is unplayable when on battery, even The Binding of Isaac runs at 30fps and it's unacceptable. I see tons of power throttling that totally don't relate to heat or consumption and I can't understand why (even while charging). Fans start at 70° with Bios 1.6.1 which is wrong on so many sides and Dell doesn't seem to help with this issue. They won't unlock fan control and they're just happy letting us crisp our "gaming" laptops. Everyone is resorting to undervolting only because we can't even choose which fan response profile we want to use
mariosk
1 Copper

Hi there,

I have the same issue on my new G5 5587. It is definitely power throttling when it is on battery and not plugged in. When it is on power everything is working fine. No matter what settings I tweak, I am unable to change that. I am not talking while gaming only. Even whilst doing nothing and the temperatures are around 50 degrees immediately when I unplug the power the power limit throttling is enabled and the max core frequency drops more than 70% that ruins even my windows experience....(just by pressing on the windows home button I can see some jittering). Here are some pictures that were taken from Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to prove what I am saying. 

While plugged in :

on_power.PNGplugged in..currently doing nothing power intensiveon_battery.PNGon battery..also doing nothing power intensive

This is unacceptable for a newly bought gaming laptop as I can't even browse the internet on battery....

Highlighted
Starvald
1 Nickel

I have i5 instead of the i7 Try removing dell apps. I have removed mine (kept Power Manager) and haven’t had issues while browising with battery - but I just did a quick test. I also have power limit throttling but only had it under stress tests and not under gaming. Regarding the 30FPS on battery it could be a Nvidia setting. I saw something about battery boost on GeForce Experience. Mine had it set to 30FPS but I didn’t experience with it so I am not entirely sure what it is.
0 Kudos