Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2020 01:00

Dell G5 5587 Separate speakers and headphones use and mic

I have a problem with my Dell G5 15 5587 regarding the audio, The laptop when I first bought it I used to play music through out the integrated speakers while playing video games through the headset, at some point something happened months ago and it lead for me to not be able to do that anymore, it shows Speakers / Headphones as one option that I cant choose between them, I didn't care that much and I continued using my laptop but recently there was a windows update that messed up the whole audio and I had to uninstall and reinstall all the audio drivers, after I did that its the same thing Speakers / Headphones as one option but in addition to that the microphone that's being used is the integrated microphone, while I have been always using the Headset's microphone, tried to download and install multiple versions of the Realtek thing and it still doesn't work.

Any ideas to return everything to its normal?
Thanks in advance.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 11th, 2020 03:00

The Dell Realtek driver and Maxx Audio are the key to proper operation in cases I've seen here and in another computer forum.

Along with the drivers, Speakers (Realtek high def) should be set as "Output" device and Stereo Mix as "Input" device (on systems that have Stereo Mix option).

Depending on how messed up the system is, a factory reinstall may be required.  I don't like to suggest the reinstall but this may be a good candidate.   If you opt for this backup any user data to a separate media as it will be lost on the factory reinstall.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 10th, 2020 08:00

Proper audio operation requires the Dell specific Realtek sound driver and Waves MaxxAudio app.  

That is the first step.

Unless you have something extra (maybe in Waves MaxxAudio?) Windows only allows one device as default playback, not separate as you say you originally had.

Here is the download link.  Download the Realtek audio driver and Waves MaxxAudio app and start with this.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/g-series-15-5587-laptop/drivers

May 10th, 2020 17:00

I've already tried doing that and downloaded the official Realtek driver as well and nothing happened, in fact now the laptop doesn't recognize the headset at all, not the mic neither the headphones

No Events found!