Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 25th, 2018 12:00

Dell G5 5587 keyboard backlight

New Dell G5 5587 Windows 10

I want my keyboard backlight to stop timing out. No option in Windows Mobility Setting to adjust light. Attempted to install DFEP. Was unable to install, required Framewrok 4.0. Installed that, informed newer version already installed. 

How do I adjust the backlight for on/off, no timeout?

July 27th, 2018 10:00

hey buddy i was in the same situation as you, to make it worse after i installed that **bleep** dell feature enchancement thing my keyboard wouldnt lightup unless i was actively touching the mouse pad. any ways im pretty sure i got the solution for you, howver im on the dell G5 15, should be the same solution.

1. restart computer

2. when the dell logo appears press either f12 or the delete key, might depend on your model. this is to open the boot menu

3. select BIOS setup

4. go to the system configuration tab, inside here should be the backlight settings for AC and battery. you can pick the settings you want!!

i hope that works for you and anyone else stumbling upon this thread :D
(also uninstall that feature enhancement **bleep**, it has annoying popups when you toggle the brightness)

9.4K Posts

June 26th, 2018 04:00

Hi garod79,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

According to the manual, F10 toggles the keyboard backlight on and off.

snip1.PNG

6 Posts

June 26th, 2018 15:00

Thanks for the reply Robert. F10 certainly does turn the backlight on. It also adjust 2 levels of brightness. The problem I have is that the light does not stay on. It times out after about a minute. It lights up again when you touch the mouse pad or a key. 

This is a problem as in low light I can't see the keys.

I want the light to stay on.

I read quite a few people have had this issue, however, the solutions (Windows mobility service, Dell DFEP) mentioned have not addressed my issue.

9.4K Posts

June 29th, 2018 04:00

Have you tried:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

How to Turn Off or On and Troubleshoot the Backlit Keyboard on Your Dell Notebook Computer

If you need further assistance, please contact me privately.  Please include your personal information along with your computer's service tag number.  Thanks.

June 29th, 2018 12:00

@garod79 wrote:

Thanks for the reply Robert. F10 certainly does turn the backlight on. It also adjust 2 levels of brightness. The problem I have is that the light does not stay on. It times out after about a minute. It lights up again when you touch the mouse pad or a key. 

This is a problem as in low light I can't see the keys.

I want the light to stay on.

I read quite a few people have had this issue, however, the solutions (Windows mobility service, Dell DFEP) mentioned have not addressed my issue.

Getting away from the canned responses, I do not believe there is any way to force the backlight to stay on when the laptop is using battery power.   On my 7577 I have to either press a key or touch the touchpad to turn the backlight on after it has timed out.

When connected to AC, the backlight stays on continuously.  I too would love it if the backlight didn't time out on battery since the LEDs will have little to no effect on battery life. 

Dell really needs a firmware feedback mechanism so customers can let them know when they are making poor decisions and locking down features that the end user should have control over.

1 Message

July 7th, 2018 14:00

i have a question i just buy this laptop g5587 could you please how can put red light on keyboard ?because my laptop have only white light keyboard
 thanks 

6 Posts

July 7th, 2018 15:00

I installed the DFEP 2.2 as recommended and matter has gotten worse. I was given the option of setting the time out time to 5 minutes, which I selected. Now, the backlight only works when I'm actively touching a key or the mouse pad. I can not reverse this. Who do I return the laptop too as it is unusable? Service tag .

78 Posts

July 12th, 2018 14:00

You can set the permanent key backlight in the bios.

47 Posts

July 18th, 2018 13:00

Same issue with new G5... keyboard light timeout and i want it on All the Time when plugged in... or time out when I tell it... just like the display.

seems a natural feature to consider...

47 Posts

July 20th, 2018 19:00

Dell support was on call with me 2 hours and no fix. They installed something that would allow you to choose up to 5 mins timeout but then it reset itself to 1 minute.  They escalated then never called me back in 2 hour window the next day.  Then they failed to call me back again n the next 1 hour slow the next day.

They only called after i emailed and said they closed the case now since I go on vacation but to reopen when I am back

This is a new G5... i am tempted to return it... horrible service.  

How could they NOT know how to fix this?

6 Posts

July 25th, 2018 06:00

That's great Sebastian, can you tell me how?

July 27th, 2018 15:00

Does that include never on?

47 Posts

July 30th, 2018 05:00

Just got a bios update from Dell on my new G5...... and get a "battery" error on startup and keyboard backlight not fixed.

I can find the Control panel and when I select 5 minutes it resets to 1 minute but then does NOT light up at all. I have to restart. And it still times out after 10 seconds!

6 Posts

July 31st, 2018 07:00

Perfect fix, thanks a million.

47 Posts

August 1st, 2018 07:00

Got the call back. Hitting F2  key when re-starting (shut down completely) exposes a menu where you can find the keyboard feature and set the timeout which I did to 15 minutes (while on AC).

It worked.

The Control panel keyboard menu doesn't work - they say that is the Windows menu and to ignore it.

No Events found!