SS_123
1 Copper

Dell G5 5587 slow performance on battery

My dell G5 is almost not usable on battery. Not able to play movies, songs over Bluetooth speakers, etc properly. I have already selected "High Performance" settings on battery in Power Plan but still, CPU gets slow to 798Hz from 3989Hz. Please help me out of this. I have also tried to change the processor power management in advance power settings on the battery to 100% percent but still, CPU is running very slow, sometimes reaches to 2GHz but most of the time it stays on 798Hz.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Re: Dell G5 5587 slow performance on battery

ss_123,

Click the link here for troubleshooting and resolving slow performance. Also, click here to update your system bios to the latest version if you have not done so. You may also try uninstalling smartbyte from the computer as well.

0 Kudos
SS_123
1 Copper

These are the random solution dell people give whoever raises slow CPU problem. I have seen other threads also regarding this in Reddit and Dell Community. No concrete solution to this problem. Slowing down the CPU during on battery should be as per user preference not by the laptop manufacturer. Consult with your engineers regarding this issue and come up with a fix. Other threads regarding this. https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-G7-CPU-stuck-at-0-8-GHz-on-Battery/td-p/6111521 https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/9bmyem/slow_cpu_on_battery/
0 Kudos

SS_123,

I will contact the engineer for information about slow performance.

0 Kudos
KarlosAlbertos
1 Copper

We are still waiting for a fix from Dell ...

0 Kudos
AdrianG001
2 Iron

In GeForce Experience go to the Settings menu then choose Games from the left side.

There should be an option called Battery Boost that allows you to set your maximum framerate.  Have you tried turning this off or upping the max framerate?

Regards,

Adrian

0 Kudos
juscheng
1 Copper

hey! i finally figured it out!!! After a year or two of being very frustrated and needing to carry my power adapter everywhere. 

Go into your BIOS settings and turn off intel speed shift and intel speed step!!!