Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

15 Posts

March 18th, 2020 17:00

Dell G5 5590 + WD19TB = Error on boot

Hello everybody,

this is Diego, IT engineer. I have recently bought a docking station WD19TB for my Dell G5 5590. It works fine, but on boot I have this error:

"you have attached a power adapter to a port that does not accept power"

The port is, of course, the Thunderbolt port. I know my laptop cannot be powered through the Thunderbolt port, in fact I have attached it to its own power adapter.

Once I get this error I can continue (I have to click on the "Continue" button) and the laptop will restart: this time no error is raised. Otherwise I can run diagnostics: I tried this too but, as expected, nothing is found, indeed the error is pretty clear and has nothing to do with things like SSD or OS (checked during the dignostics).

My question is: how to get the rid off of this error? It is not blocking, but is pretty annoying.

I tried to play with the BIOS settings but the only thing I have found is the setting that allows the boot to continue in case of error: given that this is not a nice setting to set (if there is an error during the boot, I want the system to stop to check what happened), even when set to true the system show me the error and then reboot automatically, this time completing the boot, in practice the settings simulates my click on the "Continue" button.

Is there a way to get completely the rid off of this error? IMHO an update of the BIOS is needed, at least to introduce a proper setting that "hides" this error, so how to request a BIOS update?

Thanks in advice,

best regards

Diego

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 18th, 2020 17:00

@druotolo  I work in IT myself.  Someone else asked about this specific issue a while ago, I believe involving the same combination of a G Series system and a Dell Thunderbolt dock.  When Dell systems have BIOS-level boot warnings, if there's a way to suppress them, there's a message about that on the warning screen itself, e.g. "Press F1 to prevent this warning from appearing in the future."  The warning about an undersized power adapter being connected works like this, for example.  If you're not seeing a message like that and don't see a BIOS option to suppress boot warnings either, then it sounds like the current BIOS release doesn't allow this warning to be suppressed.  I agree that there should be a way to do this for this specific sort of use case.  As for how to submit a feature request like this, Dell Support reps do read topics created here, but I don't know how often they pass requests along internally to the team that would have to be involved in implementing them. Sorry!

15 Posts

March 21st, 2020 11:00

Hello,

thanks for your reply.

In the error message I've got, it is not written to press F1 to disable the error.

Disabling the Adapter warnings form BIOS didn't help, the error message is still there.

Indeed:

- the message is an error, not a warning

- the adapter warning is only shown when an adapter that doesn't provide enough power is attached to the system, here the problem is that the adapter is attached to a port that doesn't support charging.

IMHO it really can be solved only with a BIOS update (if and when Dell will fix this).

Actually I am thinking about returning my docking station.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 21st, 2020 12:00

@druotolo  I agree this will require a BIOS update to be resolved.  As for whether Dell will address this, who knows, but I certainly hope so.  But if you want to use a docking station now without seeing that, you'd need to find a docking station that doesn't supply any power at all.  There are some out there like that -- I think one of StarTech's Thunderbolt 3 dock models offers no power -- but they're relatively uncommon.

15 Posts

March 22nd, 2020 11:00

@jphughan thanks a lot for your reply and suggestion. I will take a look at the dock you mentioned.

I have one more question for you (and for all the community): since I am plugging a thunderbolt cable that provides 130W of power to a thunderbolt port that does not accept power, is it armful? I mean, am I frying the motherboard (or something else)?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 22nd, 2020 11:00

@druotolo  no, you won't harm anything.  The way the USB Power Delivery spec works is that the power source advertises the power levels it can provide, and the device can then request the power level it wants out of those advertised options.  If the device doesn't support drawing power, then it won't choose anything.  A power source can't "force" a device to accept more power than it's designed to handle.

15 Posts

March 22nd, 2020 12:00

Very clear. Thank you @jphughan !

2 Posts

April 24th, 2020 04:00

Hi Diego,

I just got the following response from Dell:

"My apologies we do not have   Thunderbolt docks which support   G5."

Hope this helps, Michael

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 24th, 2020 07:00

@MichFosb  I have the same to this that I already wrote where you posted this elsewhere: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/G5-15-5587-with-D6000-Universal-Dock-GPU-performance/m-p/7547444/highlight/true#M81839

Unfortunately there are many examples of Dell Support giving incomplete or entirely incorrect answers, especially when it comes to technical questions. It would certainly be nice if Dell were the most reliable and comprehensive source of information about its own products, but that often isn’t the case, at least not when talking with the regular Dell Support reps that most people interact with.

January 16th, 2021 01:00

I have also a WD19TB running (or not running) with my G5 5590. In an unspecified amount of time the mouse freezes. Dells reply to that issue: We don‘t support that dock for the g5, the dock is only for Business notebooks...

Btw the dock works just fine with my Lenovo X1. 

why does Dell integrate thunderbolt 3 in such a poor way that they doesn‘t even support their own docks?!

There was a setting in the bios to disable the warning. It was called something like „headless operation mode“

4 Posts

September 5th, 2022 01:00

I have G15 laptop, and the same problem with it. I see, this problem was issued like more then 1 year ago, and still last version of bios, have no function to check that if there are connected both type-c dock and 240w power adapter to laptop, maybe, I repeat, maybe owner know that, his oven (laptop) cannot be charged through type-c power delivery. As this is not critical, and have no influence to functioning of laptop, I have no idea why this message should pop-up every single time i run my laptop...It looks like time when Dell make best gone

1 Message

September 25th, 2022 13:00

I have the same problem when connecting my DELL G5 through USB-C with a LG Display which also is capable of providing power.

I could not find in the options of the display a way to turn off power supply, but even if I did, I do use this display with another device that is powered by the USB-C, so that would not be nice.

It is a shame that this warning cannot be turned off.

4 Posts

September 26th, 2022 04:00

Does anybody know, how to issue bios update, for dell to add this option to bios settings?

No Events found!