Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2019 15:00

Dell G5 Startup problem on battery

Hi, not sure where the G5 falls, but figured it may be a gaming laptop issue. 

I purchased the G5 gaming laptop in December and have loved it. I ran it on power most of the time to get the full potencial out of it. I've started school and am taking the laptop around campus to do homework and have noticed some issues when the laptop is on battery.

When I press the power button the power button lights up as well as the keyboard, but the front power indicator fails to light up, then the keys and power button go dark. This happens a few times before finally after 3 or so attempts the power indicator comes on as well and the dell logo appears and we're good to go.

It boots just fine on power. The battery (and the rest of the laptop) is brand new and works fine once it has started up. I wonder if the battery somehow isn't giving the laptop enough power to boot, but am unsure how to fix that. I've updated the bios and windows 10 as well as a few intel updates. I reset the power setting to factory to see if that was the issue. 

Tried unplugging the battery and pressing the power button to release any "flea energy" but that didn't help.

I took a video of the issue, here are some screenshots with captions. Any input is appreciated!

power button and keys light uppower button and keys light upno light on front power indicatorno light on front power indicatorno light on front power indicator close upno light on front power indicator close upafter 4 attempts press power button againafter 4 attempts press power button againfront power indicator lights up immediatlyfront power indicator lights up immediatlyand we boot!and we boot!

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2021 15:00

To anybody wondering, I did eventually find a solution to the original post on this thread... I was lucky to still be in warranty, I ended up sending my laptop to Dell and they had to replace the motherboard. Ever since the replacement my G5 has powered up just fine while on battery and when plugged in. 

I'm not sure if they did any other software adjustments while it was in the shop, but if you're having the same problem I originally described perhaps this will help you too.

1 Message

March 20th, 2019 08:00

The light on the front is actually a battery on charge/low charge indicator. It is white, when power connected the battery is being charged and orange, when the battery charge is low as I experienced so far.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 20th, 2019 09:00

* Click my name and private message me the PC service tag number
* While on, before you disconnect the AC power adapter;
- what is the battery charge %?
- are you fully turning the Inspiron G5 OFF?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 20th, 2019 12:00

i8yfljpg is correct.

Inspiron G5 15-5587 Setup and Specifications PDF page 9 =

4 Posts

April 1st, 2019 07:00

Thanks for the responses, I tried to send a PM and it tells me I've reached the limit of PMs I can send.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2019 11:00

Have you sent 50 private messages to other users? If yes, click the Envelope icon for Private Messages. Click the three vertical dots and delete all in Inbox and Sent. Then try to send me a private message.

4 Posts

April 9th, 2019 07:00

This is my first time trying to send a PM. I checked my sent mail and inbox and neither have anything to delete. Not sure why it won't allow me to send one...

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

April 9th, 2019 08:00

I have sent you a private message requesting for the system details. Let us know if you can access the message & reply to it.

How many times does the battery (on the front blink) Does it blink amber or white?

Does the LED blink with a White color 1 to 9 times, followed by a longer pause before the next cycle starts again with the LED off for 3 seconds?

1 Message

May 26th, 2019 15:00

I have same problem . I`m using g5 5587. This problem start with last bios uptade 1.10.0 . I hope you can find a solution as soon as possible

1 Message

May 29th, 2019 21:00

i have the same problem with my g3579. keyboard lights come alive, harddisk starts moving but it fails to boot and turns off after like 15 second. it tries again in about like 5 seconds without my interruption.

it may be my imagination (i didn't test it thoroughly) but it works fine on mains. this is just on battery. i tried changing boot sequence from windows boot to UEFI something something, didn't help.

only thing about the windows is, it's not activated yet. may it be a way of forcing to activate? :)

thanks in advance for any possible solutions.

14 Posts

June 7th, 2019 11:00

I'm having the same issues with BIOS 1.10.0, it happens occasionally both on power and on battery though.

1 Message

August 30th, 2019 01:00

I’m having the same problem at the moment. Has anyone managed to solve it?

3 Posts

July 14th, 2020 06:00

i got a weird problem regarding the start of my laptop.  after the last upgrade of the bios , the laptops is not starting if is plugged to the power supply, at the beginning i thought it was the power bottom issue,but when i pressed it in windows works. 

now what i have to do is every time when i want to switch on my laptop, i have to unplugged it and when i see the Dell logo i have to plug it again. 

g5 5587

1 Message

December 19th, 2020 22:00

mine flickers like that whats wrong with it it just started today

@SreejithR 

No Events found!