Highlighted
GodKingPisces
1 Copper

Dell G7 15 Experiencing severe gaming performance and possible temp issues

Hi, so I have a Dell G7 15. Purchased last June. It uses the i7-8750H CPU, Nvidia 1060 with Max-Q design GPU, and 8GB of RAM. When I first got it, everything was perfect. I played games on it pretty often with multiple hours per session at 60fps. About 10 months in now and I've noticed games begin to stutter, so I installed some monitoring tools. I found that some time after starting up a game, usually 5-10 minutes in, the GPU would reach a temperature between 76-78 degrees and it would remain there throughout. Also, the GPU would reach a utilization of 100% at which point the game's framerate would significantly reduced to around 15fps, will sometimes jump back up to mid 40's-60's for about two minutes, then back down. When the GPU is at 99% the framerate reduces to 30fps. Doesn't matter what game I play or how low I set the settings, once the temperature reaches 78 degrees I know I'll be experiencing severe framerate drops from there on out. Am I still under warranty to send it back in? Is there anything I can do or others that have this problem? Noticed this same GPU with a similar model laptop was posted in April 2018 with the same issues. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Dell G7 15 Experiencing severe gaming performance and possible temp issues

GodKingPisces,

The system is running within range. Are you running it on battery only or ac adapter? Run the support assist program.

Dell SupportAssist for PCs User’s Guide

For my notes, click my username and send me the pc service tag number via private message as well as your Registered name
Email address
Phone number

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
GodKingPisces
1 Copper

Re: Dell G7 15 Experiencing severe gaming performance and possible temp issues

Thanks, sent

0 Kudos