Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 22nd, 2019 21:00

Dell G7 7790 BIOS Update 1.5.1 Broke My Machine

Updated my G7 laptop today to bios 1.5.1 and now many games when I play the GPU randomly spikes and stays spiked at 100% usage and my fps drops down to like 5fps or less for like a minute, then suddenly goes back to normal for a few minutes.  I didn't install any other updates than that and I also did a system restore just in case to yesterday when things were perfect and didn't fix it so I think it's gotta be the BIOS update.  I also did a clean install of the GeForce drivers and didn't make a difference.  Bad thing is there's no reverting back to the old one, even the auto recovery doesn't work.  What do I do!?  I just got this and now it's pretty much unusable to play games!

*edit - I ended up getting Dell to refund me and bought something else.  Even after the 1.6.0 BIOS came out it didn't fix it, it made it lesser of an issue in that the fps dropped to like 20fps instead of 5, but it still was an issue in any game I played.  

73 Posts

June 7th, 2019 14:00

@Fernando B9 wrote:

Got my call back, same thing. They will release a new BIOS.

However, they told me that it would be released on June 8th, so tomorrow. I will post as soon as I test it.

Oh I'll definitely be checking for updates probably every hour starting tonight and will install it immediately.  Hope he wasn't just blowing smoke.

73 Posts

June 8th, 2019 10:00

@Teetertotter wrote:

The latest BIOS driver via, "Dell Support," shows for your G7 7790 is 1.3.1

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/g-series-17-7790-laptop/drivers

and scroll down.   If using "Support Assist," may I suggest removing it or don't rely on it.  Also, updating your BIOS from original, you do at your own risk.  Loooong story short.   

Right, because they removed 1.5.1 from the site.  It was up there for a couple weeks before they pulled it.  No way to downgrade it, and I am an old timer computer user/building/troubleshooter and I've updated a load of BIOSes over the years and never actually ran into a bad one until now, guess just by luck.  Supposedly a new 1.6.0 BIOS is coming possibly today so I'm getting hopeful.

73 Posts

@Teetertotter wrote:

According to DELLS SUPPORT website, here is the latest BIOS update...1.3.1

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/g-series-17-7790-laptop/drivers

Update from the original motherboard BIOS, you do at a RISK  Long story short.

Right, because they removed 1.5.1 from the site.  It was up there for a couple weeks before they pulled it.  No way to downgrade it, and I am an old timer computer user/building/troubleshooter and I've updated a load of BIOSes over the years and never actually ran into a bad one until now, guess just by luck.  Supposedly a new 1.6.0 BIOS is coming possibly today so I'm getting hopeful.

293 Posts

I see,  DELL TECH made another error.   It also appears they did for BIOS 1.1.9, which shows it  for 5570 and 5770, but may have released it to other models as well.  

293 Posts

The latest BIOS driver via, "Dell Support," shows for your G7 7790 is 1.3.1

and scroll down.   If using "Support Assist," may I suggest removing it or don't rely on it.  Also, updating your BIOS from original, you do at your own risk.  Loooong story short.   

5 Posts

June 9th, 2019 09:00

New bios did not come out? Version 1.3.1 is still hanging on the official website, and the search for updates in the Dell update also doesn’t find anything.

73 Posts

June 9th, 2019 14:00

@Marat_G wrote:

New bios did not come out? Version 1.3.1 is still hanging on the official website, and the search for updates in the Dell update also doesn’t find anything.

Nope and I didn't really figure it would be.  Hopefully it will be this week sometime at the latest.

5 Posts

June 10th, 2019 00:00

Write who will check it, and then I'm at work. Just in case it has already downloaded

4 Posts

June 10th, 2019 00:00

New Bios is out at  least on German Support side!!

73 Posts

June 10th, 2019 06:00

@ernmik wrote:

New Bios is out at  least on German Support side!!

Out on US side too, installed it but had to come to work so won't be able to test until after 5PM CST :(

June 10th, 2019 06:00

I tested through a quick match this morning and didn't have any issues.

I will test more tonight when I arrive.

73 Posts

June 10th, 2019 17:00

Not gonna say it's fixed yet as there was a time or two where somehow it didn't happen for an hour or 2 in a game, though usually it happened within a few minutes but I played an hour of MK11 and about 20 min of Rage 2 and so far so good!  

73 Posts

June 11th, 2019 17:00

It's actually not fixed.  Did more testing tonight and Steep dropped to 5fps for a few secs, then played Overwatch and it started doing it too.  I'm sending this back to Dell on Monday refund or not and buying something else.

June 11th, 2019 19:00

Anyone else still having issues? I'm doing some more tests...

12 Posts

June 11th, 2019 20:00

I will have te laptop back this week since they are going to rrplace the motherboard. Lets see with what version of Bios comes if it have 1.3.1 i will leave it there a never update it. But if not I will update it with the new bios and make some tests.

No Events found!