Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

July 12th, 2018 16:00

Dell G7 - CPU stuck at 0.8 GHz on Battery

Hello there!

Ever since I got my Dell G7, I've been having a blast with it when plugged into an outlet. But as soon as I disconnect the charging cable and attempt to do anything on battery, the laptop becomes completely unusable. Of course, I didn't expect the battery to be able to power the GTX 1060 inside, and I'm not planning to play demanding games while on battery. My problem lies in the fact that the laptop is completely unusable! My girlfriend's Intel i3-4000M runs faster than my i7-8750H because unlike hers, as soon as I go on battery, my CPU speed is limited to 800 MHz, according to Task Manager. Opening a web browser may be possible with 5 minutes of patience, but watching videos or doing anything more complex than reading a word document is pretty much impossible. As I've said, the machine is 100% unusable while in this vegetative mode.

I've tried switching things around the BIOS, I tried creating alternative power plans, and setting the minimum CPU power usage to 50%, 75% and even 100% in the existing "Dell" and "Balanced" power plans as well, but to no avail. I'm out of options, as there seems to be no real answer online.

Is this something that can be worked around? I thought that going on battery would mean playing on the integrated Intel Graphics 630 instead of the GTX 1060, not that it would make my computer slower than a 5-year-old budget laptop.

Thank you in advance for the help.
A worrying costumer

26 Posts

December 19th, 2018 21:00

could you use a program like intel xtu/throttlestop to see the power usage on battery? I imagine still limited to 15 watts.

10 Posts

December 19th, 2018 23:00

Its still limited to 15W, just not throttling down to .8 ghz anymore, mostly stays around 2 ghz or so.

10 Posts

December 20th, 2018 09:00

Nevermind, it was throttling less because of the undervolting. The problem still persists.

December 21st, 2018 08:00

Any ETA on the fixes? Still couldn't figure it out what to do to solve this

January 2nd, 2019 22:00

I have a Dell G3 3579 with intel i7 8750H and the same problem is occurring to me. Whenever I unplug the power plug, it instantly limits the cpu power to 15W. Very annoying problem, I hope it to be fixed soon.

January 7th, 2019 14:00

I only have a few days in my return window and I'm packing this thing up tonight in anticipation of no resultion here.  This is NOT a laptop it's a portable desktop that always needs to be plugged in.  What a joke.  Without resultion you can bet your bank I'll be spending my free time making sure nobody else in the gaming community makes the mistake we did here.

1 Message

January 19th, 2019 04:00

This CPU throttling on battery power is appearing in the last 6 months on Dell Latitude E55xx and E74xx business laptops also. Prior to 6 months ago, the issue didn't occur for the few dozen laptop machines here.

The 2.3 Ghz i5 CPU drops to 0.39 Ghz within a second of the dell supplied power cable being disconnected, and switching to run on battery power. 

Same occurs under a new windows 10 install (1803, 1809) or under Ubuntu Linux, latest bios firmmware and dell support updates, and intel power management.

There is only the internal Intel graphics card, so it's not likely to be tied to overheating sensors. 

This needs a fix or workaround or we'll have to drop Dell as a supplier of laptops. We didn't want to buy bad performance desktops with a UPS.

We require the machines to be usable while away from the mains plug..

January 27th, 2019 21:00

After running support assist earlier, it really seems a lot better. 

Thanks dell engineers!

January 30th, 2019 11:00

Hi Buddy!

May I ask you to tell a lil bit more about applied solution?

Thanks a lot.

January 30th, 2019 22:00

Having the same problem... G7, the CPU is always around 800 Megahertz and 1.2 Gigahertz. making it useless when unplugged. Really hoping for a fix quickly, I use engineering software which needs a lot of resources... which is why i bought this laptop, but i find it super annoying having to pull out the giant charging brick every time i need to move an object on a 3D print file.. its either that, or waiting 20 minutes for it to slice... when its done on 10 seconds with the power brick. 

3 Posts

February 1st, 2019 05:00

I had the very same issue and just recently updated to BIOS version 1.8.0.

It has fixed the problem entirely.

February 1st, 2019 14:00

I updated to the 1.8 BIOS, same problem.  On the phone with Dell now.

February 1st, 2019 14:00

Dell Support stated that they are still looking for a proper BIOS for the G5 and G7 laptops with this thermal throttling problem even after the 1/22/19 BIOS update version 1.8.0.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2019 17:00

As soon as I uninstalled Dell SupportAssist the problem started again... what the heck?

1 Message

February 2nd, 2019 13:00

Same problem with my G5. Whenever I unplug cord it goes to 0.8 Ghz and starts working slowly.
No Events found!