Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

3 Posts

July 12th, 2018 16:00

Dell G7 - CPU stuck at 0.8 GHz on Battery

Hello there!

Ever since I got my Dell G7, I've been having a blast with it when plugged into an outlet. But as soon as I disconnect the charging cable and attempt to do anything on battery, the laptop becomes completely unusable. Of course, I didn't expect the battery to be able to power the GTX 1060 inside, and I'm not planning to play demanding games while on battery. My problem lies in the fact that the laptop is completely unusable! My girlfriend's Intel i3-4000M runs faster than my i7-8750H because unlike hers, as soon as I go on battery, my CPU speed is limited to 800 MHz, according to Task Manager. Opening a web browser may be possible with 5 minutes of patience, but watching videos or doing anything more complex than reading a word document is pretty much impossible. As I've said, the machine is 100% unusable while in this vegetative mode.

I've tried switching things around the BIOS, I tried creating alternative power plans, and setting the minimum CPU power usage to 50%, 75% and even 100% in the existing "Dell" and "Balanced" power plans as well, but to no avail. I'm out of options, as there seems to be no real answer online.

Is this something that can be worked around? I thought that going on battery would mean playing on the integrated Intel Graphics 630 instead of the GTX 1060, not that it would make my computer slower than a 5-year-old budget laptop.

Thank you in advance for the help.
A worrying costumer

22 Posts

March 29th, 2019 04:00

Have you tried clicking on the battery icon when on battery and selecting "best performance"?

4 Posts

March 29th, 2019 04:00

I'm using Ubuntu 18.10 and I think there is no such option, or at least, I'm not aware of such.

22 Posts

March 29th, 2019 13:00

Sorry, I guess my head is stuck in a windows world. https://askubuntu.com/questions/604720/setting-to-high-performance

4 Posts

March 29th, 2019 14:00

Sorry, I am not a windows user so I thought that the 'best performance' mode is somehow related to the battery. But if you're talking about governors, then yes, this is definitely something I am aware of. I tried it without any luck. Not only I was changing governors but I was also changing scaling drivers. I tried with pstate driver as well as acpi one (with every possible governor for each driver). Nothing helps - once the battery is full, the CPU stucks.

12 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 00:00

My G5 is useless without power cable connected!

1 Message

April 23rd, 2019 02:00

Hi,

I recently discovered that the dedicated Nvidia GPU is powered on all the time.

I've followed the procedure described at Arch Wiki. Installing bbswitch and putting:

options bbswitch load_state=0 unload_state=1

into /etc/modprobe.d/bbswitch.conf will disable the dedicated GPU (you have to set PMMethod=bbswitch in /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf). Unfortunately, it cannot be enabled without disabling the bbswitch first as power management is somehow broken (source:https://forum.manjaro.org/t/bbswitch-non-functional-on-dell-inspiron-g5/72032 and https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=238389).

This will at least increase battery life a bit and enables a user to actually "use" this notebook on battery.

Hope this helps somebody.

4 Posts

May 8th, 2019 07:00

I also had same problem. But after latest update to BIOS i am getting slightly higher clock speed upto 1.67 GHz.

1 Message

May 14th, 2019 22:00

Hey folks,

After abandoning my first G7 due to this same throttling issue a few months ago, I decided to try it again since this is one sexy looking laptop. After initial setup, I was discouraged to see the same throttling again. 

All I did was uninstall Dell Power Manager and it went away. Try doing this and see what happens. 

12 Posts

May 15th, 2019 00:00

Noo.. It cant be that easy.
I do not have this application installed.
As you can read in this topic, this problem appears also on Linux OS

4 Posts

May 15th, 2019 00:00

As for my problems under linux: it seems they vanished with the latest bios upgrade (1.7.4). At least I haven't had any problems since then.

12 Posts

May 15th, 2019 01:00

So its looks like for 'G' series bios version is different. Latest version for my G5 is 1.10.0

June 2nd, 2019 14:00

Same issue here. CPU stuck on 1.67ghz while on battery. Soon as I plug in; it goes up to 2.59ghz. 

I have Intel TurboBoost off, SpeedStep & SpeedShift; C-States off. 

Dell G5 i7 9750H 1660ti 

June 12th, 2019 13:00

The below is for: Dell G5 15 5587

This laptop is completely useless when not plugged in, if you are willing to keep it plugged in and treat it as a desktop you will get the performance you want, but then, you should be buying a much more powerful device for the price you paid for this "thing", I really can't call it a laptop since it lacks the portability!

Here are few examples of what to expect when you are not plugged in:

• CPU speed stuck at 0.79 GHZ, occasionally hitting 1+, you won't ever reach the base speed.
  • Mouse pointer stuttering, not to mention the delayed clicks.
  • Click the windows start button? I hope you don't mind to wait a couple of seconds for that to react.
  • Connecting external devices won't be detected (Flash drives, External display through HDMI).
  • Don't expect to watch videos, either from the web or running a video from your hard drive.
  • ALT+TAB takes time. really, it does!
  • Developers, you are in for a stressing ride! For example, bundling a Javascript file using webpack, that takes around 5 seconds when plugged in, takes almost 2 minutes when running on battery. You can imagine the performance you get when compiling, using IntelliSense, deep searching..etc
  • Developers, good news this time. Do you know that chrome dev option (Throttle, low-end device), that you enable to test your app performance on ancient devices ? you don't have to use that anymore, just unplug!

I can go on with this list forever, you get the picture...

DON'T BUY THIS UNLESS YOU WILL KEEP IT PLUGGED IN 100% OF THE TIME!

5 Posts

June 12th, 2019 14:00

This really needs to be remedied. I havealways steered away from laptops. First, because I haven't really needed one. And second, most have issues.

Well this is my first "gaming laptop". Its impressive while plugged in, but is an absolute potato running off the battery. 

Running cinebench, it's almost a 50% performance difference. That's MASSIVE. come on Dell. 

2 Posts

June 12th, 2019 17:00

New BIOS 1.6 (June 10)  for my G5 5590 with the 1660ti is still giving me only 1.67ghz clockspeed and I have changed every related setting I could find. I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep this laptop. I wanted to play some casual Rocket Leage but not even in super low settings did it manage to beat my N.Switch

No Events found!