Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: Dell G7 - CPU stuck at 0.8 GHz on Battery

Please fix it for the other affected laptops. My xps 13 9360 needs it too!

Highlighted
2 Bronze

We need a fix for this, the laptop is unusable on battery in its current state.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Bump for visibility

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

did you try to edit your battery plan and increase the 'processor power management'?

go to "minimum processor state and change the "on battery" option to 70% for example.

im not sure it will work but you can try it 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Tried already unfortunately 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Any ETA for a fix on this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

That would be nice, an ETA or more info.  I am about to return this laptop the last day of the Return window and look for something else but I got it for $900 which is a pretty good deal for the i5-8300 / 16GB RAM / geforce 1600 combo 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Sorry to say but it has been almost two years, its 2020 and your team has not done much interms of fixing this issue. My almost two thousand dollar computer cant keep up at all with a intel celeron laptop, Its sad. This was a computer that i bought for school as well as personal use and its absolutely useless 90% of the time on battery. It is revolting that a company has singled out so many users of Dell products in the way that you have. We all have bought your product expecting quality. This is also a premium product too, two thousand dollars i spent on this computer, its not a little sum of money. I am aboslutey dissapointed with the actions or the lack there of taken by dell in this issue. 

I hope you understand this frustration. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

This CPU throttling on battery power is appearing in the last 6 months on Dell Latitude E55xx and E74xx business laptops also. Prior to 6 months ago, the issue didn't occur for the few dozen laptop machines here.

The 2.3 Ghz i5 CPU drops to 0.39 Ghz within a second of the dell supplied power cable being disconnected, and switching to run on battery power. 

Same occurs under a new windows 10 install (1803, 1809) or under Ubuntu Linux, latest bios firmmware and dell support updates, and intel power management.

There is only the internal Intel graphics card, so it's not likely to be tied to overheating sensors. 

This needs a fix or workaround or we'll have to drop Dell as a supplier of laptops. We didn't want to buy bad performance desktops with a UPS.

We require the machines to be usable while away from the mains plug..

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Having the same problem... G7, the CPU is always around 800 Megahertz and 1.2 Gigahertz. making it useless when unplugged. Really hoping for a fix quickly, I use engineering software which needs a lot of resources... which is why i bought this laptop, but i find it super annoying having to pull out the giant charging brick every time i need to move an object on a 3D print file.. its either that, or waiting 20 minutes for it to slice... when its done on 10 seconds with the power brick. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I had the very same issue and just recently updated to BIOS version 1.8.0.

It has fixed the problem entirely.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I updated to the 1.8 BIOS, same problem.  On the phone with Dell now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell Support stated that they are still looking for a proper BIOS for the G5 and G7 laptops with this thermal throttling problem even after the 1/22/19 BIOS update version 1.8.0.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

As soon as I uninstalled Dell SupportAssist the problem started again... what the heck?

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same problem with my G5. Whenever I unplug cord it goes to 0.8 Ghz and starts working slowly.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell Support told me they are working on a fix still and it is currently "working as intended" ....... I am going to call every other day and just eventually demand a replacement from a manager.  I would do the same if I were every one of you, this is totally unacceptable that a laptop that costs $1,100 cannot even be used unplugged.  Ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

"Working as intended" but still working on a fix...

I'm getting the same vibe from support. They try to fix it but there's nothing wrong with it. I'm almost as furious as you. Stopped calling since they told me not to call anymore. I'm fine with my xps 13 gradually throttling down when it heats up but this instant 0,89ghz is ridiculous.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

After BIOS 1.6.1 update Task manager no longer shows constant 0.8 GHz after unplugging.

Still my G7 is too slow to do even basic tasks.

@DELL - when we will get a proper fix?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I'm also having this problem. I'm going to try and get into contact with Dell and report back if I get a solution

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I found a tolerable workaround for my xps 13. I tried using DellFanCmd to disable "embedded controller" with ec-disable-alt -command. That's intended for disabling dell fan control (puts fan to 100% and leaves it possible to manually control with speedfan) but it seems to disable something else too on the ec. Now my xps does not throttle to 0,89ghz anymore and runs same frequencies as with ac adapter. I also tried leaving the ec enabled and limiting the turbo frequency to 3.0ghz (30 multiplier instead of 40 with throttlestop) and it never throttles down to 0.89. This still gives almost identical performance at least for longer term tasks since it doesnt immediately start thermal throttling at 3.0ghz. DellFanCmd can be found through here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dellfancmd-%E2%80%93-tool-to-enable-manual-custom-control-of...
Highlighted
2 Bronze

are you saying that setting a 30 turbo multiplier in throttlestop lets you not throttle to <1GHz on battery when making no other changes?

Will look into that EC workaround as well, appreciate the response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yes, if i set max multiplier to 30 or 32 it never goes below 2ghz even. Could work with 34 but haven't tried. I get good performance with 32. On single core loads its not optimal though. I'm not sure if my issue is same as yours but when on battery power i used to go down to 0,89ghz when having full load on all cores. Machine is xps13 with i7 8550u.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Problem is broken center pin on power adapter. I replaced this connector and processor goes to normal state. 

power_adapter_connector.jpg

20190225_124505.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

This is not part of this issue.  This issue doesn't have anything to do with the power adapter since the issue is only when the laptop is running on batteries.  It runs fine when plugged in (no CPU throttling).  Glad you figured out your power supply issue though.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

This power connector post has absolutely nothing to do with what we are dealing with here, brand new laptops out of the box that cannot be used on battery. I would like to request information about returning this defective laptop to Dell.

Highlighted
1 Copper

I am having the same problem.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Getting the same here on a G3 3579.

Struggling to copy-paste text in Visual Studio 2017 while on battery. Playing music/video/games... nope.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I observed something on Linux with my G5, for whoever cares.

Because I am on Linux and Nvidia has awful Linux drivers (I knew this buying the machine), you have to switch your entire system to the dedicated GPU or the entire system to the iGPU. You can't have it be where it only uses the dedicated GPU for games to save power.

Now what I noticed is... when on battery and I have my dedicated GPU active, the CPU isn't as horrendously throttled and actually quite fast. It doesn't seem to reach the full capacity (8750H, it reaches like 2.5 GHz vs 800 MHz when power throttled)

Of course, this also means your battery life tanks.

I get the feeling this is just a really horrendously implemented power "saving" mechanic that's supposed to turn off when the dGPU kicks on.

Anybody tried this with the new 1.9 BIOS update? I couldn't get it to install on my system because ??

I'm also gonna try experimenting with turning the dGPU on but just barely with Vulkan to see if that lifts the CPU throttle but doesn't make the dGPU eat my battery.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hasn't changed in the new 1.9 BIOS update...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My Latitude 5491 with i7-8850H is also experiencing problems with CPU being stuck at 800MHz. But in my case, it seems that the problem is triggered when battery gets fully charged. When my laptop is working on battery, or if the battery is being charged, everything works OK. CPU speed varies between 800 and 4k MHz. But as soon as battery gets full (or maybe a couple minutes after), the CPU gets stuck at 800MHz and there is no way to force it to jump over it. Then, the only thing I can do, is to disconnect from charger AND reboot the system. Of course, disconnecting from charger alone does nothing. It has to be a reboot. Once the system is rebooted, everything goes OK, until I have to charge the battery again. Once the battery is 100% charged the cycle begins again... and then again, and again...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Have you tried clicking on the battery icon when on battery and selecting "best performance"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm using Ubuntu 18.10 and I think there is no such option, or at least, I'm not aware of such.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Sorry, I guess my head is stuck in a windows world. https://askubuntu.com/questions/604720/setting-to-high-performance
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Sorry, I am not a windows user so I thought that the 'best performance' mode is somehow related to the battery. But if you're talking about governors, then yes, this is definitely something I am aware of. I tried it without any luck. Not only I was changing governors but I was also changing scaling drivers. I tried with pstate driver as well as acpi one (with every possible governor for each driver). Nothing helps - once the battery is full, the CPU stucks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My G5 is useless without power cable connected!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hi,

I recently discovered that the dedicated Nvidia GPU is powered on all the time.

I've followed the procedure described at Arch Wiki. Installing bbswitch and putting:

options bbswitch load_state=0 unload_state=1

into /etc/modprobe.d/bbswitch.conf will disable the dedicated GPU (you have to set PMMethod=bbswitch in /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf). Unfortunately, it cannot be enabled without disabling the bbswitch first as power management is somehow broken (source:https://forum.manjaro.org/t/bbswitch-non-functional-on-dell-inspiron-g5/72032 and https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=238389).

This will at least increase battery life a bit and enables a user to actually "use" this notebook on battery.

Hope this helps somebody.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

The below is for: Dell G5 15 5587

This laptop is completely useless when not plugged in, if you are willing to keep it plugged in and treat it as a desktop you will get the performance you want, but then, you should be buying a much more powerful device for the price you paid for this "thing", I really can't call it a laptop since it lacks the portability!

Here are few examples of what to expect when you are not plugged in:

• CPU speed stuck at 0.79 GHZ, occasionally hitting 1+, you won't ever reach the base speed.
  • Mouse pointer stuttering, not to mention the delayed clicks.
  • Click the windows start button? I hope you don't mind to wait a couple of seconds for that to react.
  • Connecting external devices won't be detected (Flash drives, External display through HDMI).
  • Don't expect to watch videos, either from the web or running a video from your hard drive.
  • ALT+TAB takes time. really, it does!
  • Developers, you are in for a stressing ride! For example, bundling a Javascript file using webpack, that takes around 5 seconds when plugged in, takes almost 2 minutes when running on battery. You can imagine the performance you get when compiling, using IntelliSense, deep searching..etc
  • Developers, good news this time. Do you know that chrome dev option (Throttle, low-end device), that you enable to test your app performance on ancient devices ? you don't have to use that anymore, just unplug!

I can go on with this list forever, you get the picture...

DON'T BUY THIS UNLESS YOU WILL KEEP IT PLUGGED IN 100% OF THE TIME!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

This really needs to be remedied. I havealways steered away from laptops. First, because I haven't really needed one. And second, most have issues.

Well this is my first "gaming laptop". Its impressive while plugged in, but is an absolute potato running off the battery. 

Running cinebench, it's almost a 50% performance difference. That's MASSIVE. come on Dell. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

New BIOS 1.6 (June 10)  for my G5 5590 with the 1660ti is still giving me only 1.67ghz clockspeed and I have changed every related setting I could find. I'm not sure if I'm gonna keep this laptop. I wanted to play some casual Rocket Leage but not even in super low settings did it manage to beat my N.Switch

Highlighted
2 Bronze

In case battery extender is enabled. Then do this. Dell Power Manager -> Battery Extender ->Settings-> Reduce CPU Power(uncheck this option). Dell Power Manager -> Thermal Management-> Ultra Performance(select this option). Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have tried the following things:

- disassembled everything to I could unplug the CMOS

- updated bios

- unplugged battery

- unplugged battery and pressed power button 30 seconds

- tred ifferent things in Dell Power Manager

- tried different things in windows power manager

Still stuck at 800 Mhz. That only small progress I have is to run ThrottleStop, but after reboot or sleep/wake its again stuck at 800 Mhz so not a solution. Anyone that has something for me to try please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi ThomasDatacore,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as you expected, however it does sound that the system is performing as designed.

If you still require assistance and the system is under warranty, you may contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service request. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

@dell-robert p 
Hello Robert,
I hope you are joking 🙂 The issue is that our notebooks are not able to work on battery. Please, dont tell me that its designed by Dell. I can't believe it.

Anyway if you have right, Dell should:
1 - Put an official information somewhere on website.
2 - Close global sale of G -series notebooks

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Rafal0099,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

While on battery, what programs are you using?  Are you able to check emails?, look up things on the internet? or use productivity programs like Excel or Word?

If you are gaming, what game are you playing when you encountered this issue?

Please respond privately and include your Service Tag information so I can document your case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

The CPU goes to .8-1GHZ and throttling is indicated by Intel XTU constantly.  I will post my graph here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So you see those red spikes?  That is power Throttling sending the CPU into the dungeon.  Literally when I unplugged the power is when the red spikes went up

2019-08-02 19_47_13-Window.jpg

Highlighted
1 Copper

Same for the G5, cant believe how Dell could make a decision like that and not leave it to the user.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Can't believe there's no solution yet. I'm trying to find a way to fix it for months but I can't find anything. My drivers and bios are all up to date. Dell already knows this issue and yet does not release a solution for it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I found a solution!!!!!! FINALLY after months of searching. Here are the things I did that might have contributed: 

1) I did a "windows reset' which deletes everything on the main drive and reinstalls windows from the "cloud" (Dell servers). 

After I did this I was still throttling so I,

2) Updated the Bios. I downloaded the firmware from Dell's website: The version is 1.11.1 released 14 Aug2019.

Still, no change to the PL1 power throttling at idle and under load the processor would clock down to 0.8Ghz. As soon as I unplug the charger I'd drop to 0.8Ghz as well. 

3) Install the "Dell Power Manager". In DPM under the tab "Thermal Management" You can choose a thermal setting. I did a lot of testing here since it seemed to fix the problem. 

Ultra performance is definitely the best when it comes to performance. It seems like the fans spin faster and the power available to the processor is higher. 

However, I decided to run my system on "Optimized". It gave me relief from me PL1 throttling problem. Now, I am only limited by my thermals. But the manager tries to balance fan speed and power delivery so that the computer idles quietly and has enough power when under load. 

Now under load I never fall below 3GHz plugged in. Battery performance has been much better too. 

PLEASE NOTE: I had this program installed before I did the reset and I was stuck with my throttling problem. In Throttlestop I was seeing a PL1 throttle (even at idle) on the core. Under load, my processor would throttle to 0.8GHz and stay there rendering the computer useless to handle the heavy task.

TLDR: Install Dell Power Management and update your Bios. It is possible you may need to do a "reset" or fresh windows install from Dell. 

I hope this helps 😄

-Jason

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Similar issues here on my Dell G3.

As soon as I unplug, games become instantly unplayable. Plug in and bam, good to go again. Since this was sold and marketed as a gaming LAPTOP, that's unacceptable. If the system can't perform not plugged in, I'd go so far as to say it'd be false advertising / fraud on behalf of Dell to advertise this as a gaming laptop (as opposed to a portable desktop)<Legalistic statement removed>. (It'd be like a company saying that new car you bought can go 120 MPH top speed, then finding out that top speed only works in your driveway and nowhere else.)

I'm in the process of trying to have tech support address the issue currently. Clean Windows installs, clean driver installs. Trying the Dell Power Management app, Windows Power settings, and NVIDIA power settings did squat. On unplug, system goes to a low power state, no matter what I change. 

Either the thing is engineered poorly, or there was some intentional firmware choices made that force CPU throttling / low power state on battery, no matter what the thermals are. 

Very unhappy / feel incredibly deceived.

0 Kudos