Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2018 14:00

G7 Overheat problems

Hi to everyone, I am here because I have not found any post or information related. I have a Dell G7 with i7-8750H and GTX 1060 Max-Q and I experience several FPS drops while playing games, I decided to install Intel XTU as it shows when the CPU Throttles and keeps a graphic of GPU and CPU temperatures, and I saw that CPU temperatures while playing most of the times are between 75°C and 90°C, but for some periods of time, they keep between 85 and 95, sometimes even reaching 100°C, I have already asked for support, and got my motherboard and my vents replaced, temperatures but I'm still getting overheating issues, yeah, it reaches 98-99°C less times than before, but I don't see the problem solved, which makes me think, are those temperatures normal for this PC? Also, normal ambient temperatures where I live are 25-33°C. Is using the PC for gaming sessions of 1-2 hours safe? This PC is sold as a Gaming Laptop, and I don't feel comfortable playing with those temperatures for 2 hours having in mind that I'm reducing it's life drastically (Unless, again, those temperatures are normal) Things I've already done: - Playing on flat surface - Playing with the laptop lifted a bit. - Playing in a colder ambient Edit: Forgot to mention that I also experience Power Limit Throttling while gaming, i.e: this happens when I'm in a match in Fortnite, but when I go back to the lobby, the power limit throttling stops, but if I enter a new match, it starts again, making the processor go as low as 1.2 GHz. Same question applies, is that normal?

• 

16.7K Posts

November 22nd, 2018 04:00

CesarSP,

You can click the link below to download and install the latest bios version. Also, run the ePSA diagnostics on the system to see if any failures are reported. To run the diagnostics start the computer and Tap the F12 key. Choose ePSA Diagnostics. You can also test the CPU by launching the SupportAssist.

Dell 7588 Bios Download

12 Posts

January 7th, 2019 23:00

F1 G7 temperature 2.jpgF1 G7 temperature.jpgHi, i have just done something to my computer that the temps are keeping at 80c and below while playing. I went to power manager and set minimum power state of the cpu to 0(zero) and maximum to 99. Then i noticed that the Cpu was running really cool. So i went to Intel xtream tunning and set all the settings to defaul including undervolting that was at 150. Still it was running really cool but the 60fps was still available. Then i went back to power manager and set the processor power manager to 100% again. For some reason i've been playing games and editing videos on sony veja and my CPU is not hiting power thermal limit. Oh i have set the turbo boost power max short  to the same 45w as the turbo boost

February 3rd, 2019 17:00

How do you tell what the temp is? i have the same G7 and around the keyboard gets too hot to touch comfortably when playing games like Fortnite.

• 

16.7K Posts

February 4th, 2019 04:00

DellUser02,

Right Click on your desktop

1. Click NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Click Manage 3D Settings on the left menu
  3. Click on the Progam Settings tab
  4. Click Add
  5. Select a program from the list.

If your game is not on this list either do the following:

1. Click Browse
    2. Look for the executable file of your game and double click on it

If you do not know the location and/or name of your game's executable do the following:

1. Right Click on your game's icon
    2. Click Properties
    3. The Target field shows the location and name of the executable

12 Posts

February 25th, 2019 07:00

Install the latest bios. Seems to me that the Bios 1.9 did the trick of keeping the computer cooler and more responsive on my case. I've just installed it and it seems like it's working better. Lets see on the long run.

11 Posts

April 24th, 2019 11:00

Repaste. trust me, the problem is in the bad quality of the thermla paste ths laptop comes with, just tera down the laptop and reapply thermal paste to both the cpu and gpu + you can try undervolting, hope this helped

1 Message

May 31st, 2019 12:00

My laptop(Dell G7 - 1060 Max-Q,8750H,16 GB RAM) has also had the same problem.It heats much more than my friend's laptops having 1050 and 1050Ti's.It also starts to throttle at about 85 Cel. What would you recommend?

1 Message

October 20th, 2019 11:00

I'm a bit late but if someone still has that problem: repasting didn't solve the cpu temp issue for me. Changing the paste to Arctic MX-4 changed about 2-3°C on my Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming (i7 7700HQ, GTX 1060 6G Max-Q), so it still throttled to sometimes as low as 800MHz and caused drops to unplayable frametimes for a few seconds.

I also tried various Dell programs and updates that didn't solve it.

Though I did "solve" the problem by completely disabling Intel turbo boost in the bios. But I'm still angry about it since the cpu is in a whole different performance league without turbo boost, especially in games.

Aside from the time wasted for completely disassembling the laptop to change the thermal paste. And I'm not talking about the single screw and the lid. I'm talking about roughly 50 screws for taking out the motherboard (probably the reason there are hardly any videos showing it)

I experienced all of that at a room temperature of less than 22°C.

And I thought that stuff like that was just an apple thing.

November 2nd, 2019 09:00

Hey,

So Im having overheating issues as well on my 7588 with i7-8750h and 1060 max-q. I disassembled the laptop and repasted and that did help for a few degrees, but what I noticed during testing is more interesting.

Basically if I ran a stress test on the GPU the fans were kicking in and keeping everything cool. When I ran just a CPU stress test the fans would stay silent and within seconds the CPU would be at 100C. Im using HWmonitor to check temps on CPU and GPU, is anyone else having this issue?

1 Message

March 26th, 2020 22:00

Hey @DELL-Jesse L ,

I tried going to Dell Power Manager and changed thermal settings to ULTRA PERFORMANCE?

It basically increases processor and cooling fan speed. It did decrease the temperature of my laptop. I'm just worried about the laptop, is this not considered as overclocking? Won't this damage the laptop in anyway?

Can you give me more insight about ULTRA PERFORMANCE in DELL? What does it do and what is the best setting of the PC?

Hope to hear from you soon.

1 Message

April 7th, 2020 15:00

A year late ... but I do and I do not understand it.

I don't know my way around computers very well but the alienware thermal control shows that the cpu is constantly at about  40-50 and I have only my browser, the alienware command centre and discord open as midnight in England during early Spring with a window open...

I use this laptop mainly for browser related activities, watching movies, working on photoshop, autocad and sketchup (architecture student) with the occasional minecraft game play (I don't even own any other game).

When I play the game the temp shoots to 90 and even to 98 but when I turn it off it goes to its usual 45.

... It is quite scary considering how much this laptop costs whilst knowing that the overheating of CPU can destroy it and with it my work. As a student, I can;t afford to buy laptops like they cost nothing whilst requiring a more advanced performance. 

June 11th, 2020 10:00

I usually play Rainbow Six on my G7 i7 8750H + RTX 2060, the CPU would always reach 100'C and then throttles down the clock speed from 3914 MHz to around 2810MHz, even when I turn on the G-Mode. I tried using ThrottleStop and it help to minimize the throttle to about 3613MHz, but after about 5 minutes the thermal shutdown kicks in. I saw some forums talking about applying liquid metal to the CPU die. I bought a Conductonaut and tried it directly to my laptop (for the first time of my life dissasembling a computer, and replacing themal paste btw). And yes, it's very risky, I nearly burn my laptop because I spilled some of the liquid to the motherboard, and I was also running out of isopropyl alcohol, then hoping for the best. The last result was the CPU reaches about 79-84'C on Rainbow Six, with my fan buffed up of course, but the clock speed always stay at 3914MHz at all time.

Buy a liquid metal, and prepare an isopropyl alcohol for any spills outside the CPU die.

Note : I also apply it to my GPU, but I don't recommend doing this too. It doesn't do much for the GPU. The stock paste can reach around 72'C when gaming (GTA Online), but after applying Conductonaut it reach about 69'C in the same game I tested, but for the CPU intensive games like Call of Duty MW 2019, it got even worse, the stock paste can hold the GPU at 75'C, but with Conductonaut it even reach 80'C and then another thermal shutdown appears, might be caused by the GPU was considered overheating, because it always do if my GPU temp rise above 77'C, matching with my CPU temp. I conclude that case was caused by the heatsink temperature raised by the better heat conducting of the Conductonaut on the CPU die.

June 21st, 2020 17:00

The below is significant for games that are CPU Intensive(not GPU focused): (Paladins, COD, etc.)

Finally, someone got it right. The real issue is here, when "turboboost is on" the performance is satisfactory for a gaming laptop, BUT until the thermal throttling kicks, after that the fps fluctuates like a mountain, I have even seen 20fps. (temp ~ 97 maxfps: 180)

After "the turboboost is off", the games works like on a cheap machine/daily laptop. BUT there is no fps drops. (this time the fps can't even touch my turbo FPS.(maxtemp ~ 95 maxfps: 110)

ANYONE please, if they have found a solution, help us. I have tried everything, from reporting it to DELL to throttling. 

247 Posts

June 21st, 2020 18:00

I think much of this is just thin notebooks not having the proper thermal cooling designs to handle heavy loads coming from the CPU and GPU which produce far more heat these days with 4 or more CPU cores and faster GPU chips. Thin notebooks seemed fine to handle 2 core CPU's and what dedicated GPU's we had a few years ago. But I would say if your really wanting a gaming 3D notebook don't buy something thin with weak cooling systems. You will probably be sorry you did and the added heat can't be good for longevity. Even if it technically meets Intel or AMD thermal requirements.  The other issue is OEM's trying to keep fan noise levels to a minimum and trading off more heat for that noise reduction. I wish we had more choices in how the fan reacts to thermal increases. I would rather have a fan speed increase faster and be noisier than have temperatures increase much higher before cooling ramps up. 

June 21st, 2020 19:00

You have misunderstood my stand. I have a g7 7588 gaming laptop that costs me 1.3 lakh in Indian rupees. Its not thin or cheap. Read the thread topic, it says g7. Read before posting, these unhelpful responses.

Have a good day.

And you can download dell power management where you can change fan speed.

No Events found!