CesarSP
1 Copper

Dell G7 Overheat problems

Hi to everyone, I am here because I have not found any post or information related. I have a Dell G7 with i7-8750H and GTX 1060 Max-Q and I experience several FPS drops while playing games, I decided to install Intel XTU as it shows when the CPU Throttles and keeps a graphic of GPU and CPU temperatures, and I saw that CPU temperatures while playing most of the times are between 75°C and 90°C, but for some periods of time, they keep between 85 and 95, sometimes even reaching 100°C, I have already asked for support, and got my motherboard and my vents replaced, temperatures but I'm still getting overheating issues, yeah, it reaches 98-99°C less times than before, but I don't see the problem solved, which makes me think, are those temperatures normal for this PC? Also, normal ambient temperatures where I live are 25-33°C. Is using the PC for gaming sessions of 1-2 hours safe? This PC is sold as a Gaming Laptop, and I don't feel comfortable playing with those temperatures for 2 hours having in mind that I'm reducing it's life drastically (Unless, again, those temperatures are normal) Things I've already done: - Playing on flat surface - Playing with the laptop lifted a bit. - Playing in a colder ambient Edit: Forgot to mention that I also experience Power Limit Throttling while gaming, i.e: this happens when I'm in a match in Fortnite, but when I go back to the lobby, the power limit throttling stops, but if I enter a new match, it starts again, making the processor go as low as 1.2 GHz. Same question applies, is that normal?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Re: Dell G7 Overheat problems

CesarSP,

You can click the link below to download and install the latest bios version. Also, run the ePSA diagnostics on the system to see if any failures are reported. To run the diagnostics start the computer and Tap the F12 key. Choose ePSA Diagnostics. You can also test the CPU by launching the SupportAssist.

Dell 7588 Bios Download

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
Topcms
6 Indium

F1 G7 temperature 2.jpgF1 G7 temperature.jpgHi, i have just done something to my computer that the temps are keeping at 80c and below while playing. I went to power manager and set minimum power state of the cpu to 0(zero) and maximum to 99. Then i noticed that the Cpu was running really cool. So i went to Intel xtream tunning and set all the settings to defaul including undervolting that was at 150. Still it was running really cool but the 60fps was still available. Then i went back to power manager and set the processor power manager to 100% again. For some reason i've been playing games and editing videos on sony veja and my CPU is not hiting power thermal limit. Oh i have set the turbo boost power max short  to the same 45w as the turbo boost

0 Kudos
DellUser02
1 Nickel

How do you tell what the temp is? i have the same G7 and around the keyboard gets too hot to touch comfortably when playing games like Fortnite.
0 Kudos

DellUser02,

Right Click on your desktop

1. Click NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Click Manage 3D Settings on the left menu
  3. Click on the Progam Settings tab
  4. Click Add
  5. Select a program from the list.

If your game is not on this list either do the following:

1. Click Browse
    2. Look for the executable file of your game and double click on it

If you do not know the location and/or name of your game's executable do the following:

1. Right Click on your game's icon
    2. Click Properties
    3. The Target field shows the location and name of the executable

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Where do I find my Dell PC Service Tag or Express service code?
Where do I post SA (SupportAssist) issue/questions?
0 Kudos
Topcms
6 Indium

Install the latest bios. Seems to me that the Bios 1.9 did the trick of keeping the computer cooler and more responsive on my case. I've just installed it and it seems like it's working better. Lets see on the long run.

0 Kudos
AlphaOne321
6 Indium

Repaste. trust me, the problem is in the bad quality of the thermla paste ths laptop comes with, just tera down the laptop and reapply thermal paste to both the cpu and gpu + you can try undervolting, hope this helped
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ridbit10
1 Copper

My laptop(Dell G7 - 1060 Max-Q,8750H,16 GB RAM) has also had the same problem.It heats much more than my friend's laptops having 1050 and 1050Ti's.It also starts to throttle at about 85 Cel. What would you recommend?

0 Kudos