Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2019 06:00

Dell G7 Windows 10 not recognizing external microphone

When I plug in  a headset with a mic, the microphone does not show up as an option to choose when I look at recording devices in my sounds setting. The Audio comes through on the Headset, but my internal mic is the only option i have to choose from when it comes to a mic. 

December 3rd, 2019 07:00

I have the same problem on my G3 15 3590. I tried all the methods I could find, nothing worked. It seems like a motherboard design flaw.

December 3rd, 2019 07:00

I found a solution: download this app called Realtek Audio Control https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9P2B8MCSVPLN

Open the app, click "Device advanced settings", retask the analog jack as shown in screenshot.

QQ截图20191203075539.png

4 Posts

December 3rd, 2019 08:00

Thanks a lot! i'll try this out when I get home and then update. 

4 Posts

December 4th, 2019 14:00

This didn't work, the app wont download/install.. keep getting an unknown error which is quite common when I look at the reviews. Thank anyway!

December 6th, 2019 00:00

October 19th, 2020 10:00

Did you ever figure out the issue? 

October 19th, 2020 10:00

That above link doesn't work. I am having the same issues. It doesn't detect external jack microphone. I have tried everything.

October 19th, 2020 11:00

Thanks for the topic, found the solution here, I tried to update the driver several times, but it didn't work.

1 Message

December 18th, 2020 09:00

Where did you find a solution. My G7 mic does not work for any apps or programs, but it does show my voice being picked up in the Waves MaxxAudio app, strangely. So not all hope is lost but it still doesn't work with anything else.

3 Posts

March 18th, 2021 08:00

Hey,

I saw you on another thread where the same question was asked. I posted a solution. Maybe you will see my response here though. Check it out by clicking this link. https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Dell-G7-7588-AUX-Mic-in-not-working/m-p/7831841/highlight/true#M112742 .

I have the same laptop as you and I have done A LOT of troubleshooting. I tried installing old drivers and downloading Realtek Audio Console from the Microsoft store. It turns out that app will only download and run properly if you have Universal Audio Drivers or UADs.

I saw Realtek HD Audio Manager to maybe be another way to fix the problem. However, there is no way to download Realtek HD Audio Manager by itself. I believe it comes installed with certain drivers and is hidden initially. I saw someone, who had an ASUS motherboard, pull it up. Here is the link to that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvhlH-luXPQ .

I do not think this will work only because I believe the latest drivers are not High Definition Audio (HDA). I saw under Device Manager (You can search this up in the "Type here to search" bar) that at one point the G7 7588 had "Realtek High Definition Audio" as a driver but after I factory reset my computer (a couple days ago) and installed the latest version of Windows it did not show up there. On the Dell website it says you can download that HD driver but it is from 2 years ago. And yes, they do update that website. I use Dell SupportAssist and Dell Update to get my drivers and I run those occasionally to stay up-to-date.

You can also follow this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy3rH0s3-Ek . He goes to a third-party site to download the specific drivers. I have been on this website before and have done a similar thing. The only problem was it was not consistent and did not yield the results I wanted. I think it is because if you use SupportAssist or Dell Update they will try to give you the latest driver that is meant for your computer. You are using something other than that here. Before doing this it is best to make a restore point and back-up your data just incase anything goes wrong. It shouldn't but again you are going against what Dell is telling you what is best for your machine already.

What I learned from all of this though is that my method seems to be the most legitimate. You do not have to download your own audio drivers from a third-party website. It looks like Dell took things into their own hands and said use Waves MaxxAudioPro instead of Realtek Audio Console or Realtek HD Audio Manager.

Hope that helps, if you have any questions feel free to let me know!

August 19th, 2022 00:00

Thanks, you solved my problem, I'm using the dell g7 7700.

No Events found!