Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

3 Posts

August 3rd, 2019 17:00

Dell G7 bad memory slot

I was gaming this morning when my Dell G7 inspiron laptop black screened of death on me.

I forced it to shut down and tried to boot it up again. and the LEDS flashed 4 white and 2 amber which means Memory Card Failure.

I tried switching up the RAM cards and it still did not work

Then, I tried removing the RAM card one after the other and my laptop booted up again with only the right RAM card installed.

I switched up the RAM card with the other to see if I have a bad card and it booted up fine again. So I guess it's safe to say that the left RAM slot is the problem.

My laptop is still covered by basic warranty as it is still just a year old. but the problem is that I bought this laptop in the US and I'm permanently residing in the Philippines.

Thanks guys! any help would be greatly appreciated!

5.6K Posts

August 5th, 2019 13:00

You'll need to look into transferring warranty to the Philippines (if it is possible to do). .

9.4K Posts

August 7th, 2019 07:00

Hi KristofferLove,

Thanks for posting and for providing your service tag information.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Unfortunately, it appears that  your system only has a basic warranty.  Unless the warranty is upgraded to Premium Support, the computer is sold in the Philippines, and the parts and services are available there, more than likely it can not be transferred.

We can do more troubleshooting, but if the error code is blinking 4 white 2 amber, there may be a motherboard issue.  Have you tried these troubleshooting tips yet?:  How to Troubleshoot and Resolve Memory issues with a Dell Notebook PC

Please post back and let us know how it's going.  Thanks.

August 7th, 2019 07:00

Hi! thanks for the suggestion. I've done it and it says it should take 10-15 days for the transfer to take effect.

August 7th, 2019 19:00

I've tried to run the hardware test using Smart support and it says there's no error in my hardware. But fitting a known good DIMM on the left slot makes my laptop not bootable. It'll boot up again once I remove it.

So if I rule out that my motherboard is the culprit, how can I replace it? And what are the steps to upgrading to premium warranty?

Thanks!

No Events found!