Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

1 Message

June 4th, 2018 23:00

Dell G7 fan noise.

Hello, I am new here and not the most computer savvy person in the world but I was wondering if anyone has similar experiences with the fan noise on this machine and if it’s normal?

When I game the fan seems to be running really loud.  I know it’s from the gaming so I checked to make sure the machine it’s self is cool it runs about 60 degrees Celsius with a max of about 90 when gaming.

So my question is is it normal for the fan to be this loud when gaming?  Is it a big deal as long as it’s staying cool?  The machine it’s self is new (got it Friday) and I got an update for the bios setting tonight so it should be ok unless there is a fan issue.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 5th, 2018 09:00

Thank you for your message. Sorry to know that you have issues with a new system.

Is the fan noise too loud only when gaming? Is there any noise when you are just browsing?

Please restart the computer & tap F2 to get into BIOS & check the version of BIOS installed & also check if the fan noise issue persists.

Run a hardware diagnostics by following the video on this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB  & check if there is an error.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

1 Message

July 26th, 2018 21:00

1. Just got a new Dell G7 and im also having this problem, it sounds like the fan is hitting something and its only on the left side, when i removed the bottom to add an HDD i touched the fan and it felt like it was touching the sides of it.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 27th, 2018 06:00

I will be glad to look into this for you.

Is the system heating up by any chance?  Please run a hardware diagnostic by following the video on this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB & check if there is an error

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

July 31st, 2018 19:00

I've had the same problem since day 1 on my Dell G7 with a loud fan.  Same as you described with the noise coming from the left side.  I use an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, so how I eliminated the noise completely, was by standing my laptop on edge with the lid closed.  I lean the laptop almost completely vertical so the hinge side is up and base of the laptop is resting against the wall.  In this orientation I have zero fan noise, ever. It goes completely away and never comes back. When I lay the laptop down normally, it quickly starts making the fan noise from the left side.  I am curious if you found a permanent fix, or a band-aid like myself.  Dell wanted me to send the laptop in under warranty, but with all the nightmare stories I've read about their repair service I will not send my laptop in.

1 Message

August 6th, 2018 02:00

I got a Dell G7 with i7 processor. I also have the same problem here since day 1. The fan on the right side (or left side, if you flip it over) sounds like it is hitting something or some parts is lose. I know that the fan would be noisy when it is at full speed but the noise would be smoother? But when the fan is  running at a certain rpm or speed, that's the time I hear the strange noise coming out from the fan. If I lean it a certain degree the noise would vanish and sounds like its running smoothly.

I think this is more of a hardware problem than a software problem. My friend also have a Dell G7 with i5 processor but it has no problems with fan sounding strange.

9 Posts

August 24th, 2018 03:00

Hello,
 I have a new Dell G7 series 15 7588.

But am facing a set of problems with the model,
The problems are

1) Audio is heard only through its in built speaker even though headphones are connected in its jack
2) The In built fan runs at high speed and hot air is blown out through vent even when device is at standby or low usage

So, how can I fix the above problems or let me know where should I be contacting for any other dell services further if needed 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

August 24th, 2018 09:00

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you on this.

Do you get any pop-up message when you connect the headphone?  Do you have Waves MaxxAudio pro installed?  If yes click on the application – Click on the playback tab – Advanced, make sure that the show popup dialog when a device is connected.

What is the BIOS version installed? Please check if the disc usage is high.

Run a hardware diagnostic by following the video on this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB & check if there is an error.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

9 Posts

October 14th, 2018 10:00

Ya, thanks It helped!

1 Message

October 14th, 2018 10:00

Just make sure MaxxAudioPro is enabled at startup (if it isn't, go to taskmgr.exe and go to Startup, and enable it). That fixed it for me, as I had the same exact problem before.

6 Posts

October 25th, 2018 15:00

The fans should go to 100% while gaming. It is necessary to maintain performance and cooling.

9 Posts

October 27th, 2018 06:00

The problem is it runs the high speed when no games are installed in my pc!

1 Message

December 1st, 2018 14:00

folks I had noticed the same thing on my son's g7. the fans were going full blast all the time it seemed. Turns out the cpu clock speed was running at 3.900 GHz. but, the max clock for the chip said 2.200 GHz..so, what gives right? this is an Intel Turbo Boost feature that can run the clock speed higher for extra performance. I went in the BIOS and DISABLED the Intel Turbo Boost, and bam, like magic the G7 fans are nice & quiet now, and if you look at the clock speed in the BIOS after making the change, the Clock speed now shows running at 2.200 GHz (instead of 3.900 GHz). Problem solved here.

14 Posts

December 1st, 2018 21:00

@dell_user909 you could have bought a much cheaper laptop if you limit your processor speed that way. G3 would have been much more appropriate.

11 Posts

October 15th, 2019 20:00

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

October 16th, 2019 12:00

For those people that are still experiencing fan noise, try disabling some of the startup programs in task manager. Limited some of the programs in your startup might help the fans to run slower due to lesser load on processor (CPU). Please expand Limit Startup Programs for additional information in link below.

How to Troubleshoot Fan Issues

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln113205/how-to-troubleshoot-fan-issues?lang=en

Check the information in the link below that might be some help to you as well.

Undesired fan noises on Inspiron/XPS Notebook/Vostro Notebook/Mobile Precision/Latitude systems

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln309579/undesired-fan-noises-on-inspiron-xps-notebook-vostro-notebook-mobile-precision-latitude-systems?lang=en

No Events found!