GoatMouthB
1 Copper

Dell Inspirion Out of Memory

This is the computer I just purchased: DELL I3185-A760GRY 

Inspiron 11.6" A6, 4GB, 32GB, Windows 10 2-in-1 Laptop I3185-A760GRY

The ONLY thing I have ever downloaded on this is Google Chrome. I have no pictures, files, or games installed. However, every time I try to install an app or a file, or if Windows is trying to download an update, I get a warning that says I don't have sufficient memory to do so and it advises me to free up some memory. I've gone in and deleted everything I can, which, really, is nothing since it is brand new and I've never downloaded anything on it. It's absolutely worthless. How do I fix this mess? 

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

Re: Dell Inspirion Out of Memory

Click on File Explorer in the task bar. Then click on This PC. How much free space does it show on the C drive? This is usually a message when the hard drive is running out of space. Hard to believe if you have not installed or downloaded anything of consequence. With a very small hard drive, you really have to keep close tabs on free hard drive space. Also run task manager and see if any program is using a large amount of RAM.

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
GoatMouthB
1 Copper

It says my C drive has 2.08 GB free of 27.3 GB. Again, I went through and looked at files (still empty). I deleted temporary files/ content. Task manager shows nothing running. I went into install programs...everything there came from the computer (from Dell or Microsoft except for Chrome and ONLY Chrome is on there). I emptied my trash can. If this is all this computer can do, it's worthless as my iphone can do more. Is there a greater issue with my computer, or is it just what I'm working with for this system? Are there things I can delete from Microsoft/ Dell that would significantly make this device more usable?

0 Kudos
JOcean
4 Ruthenium

For what it was designed for (web surfing, word processing, light duty apps, social media) it works.  But you can uninstall almost everything that is Dell. Go to the following sites for help with what programs to uninstall..I would bet that you can safely uninstall at least 4-5 GB of unneeded programs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/410dbc/what_dell_bloatware_is_okay_to_uninstall/

Better yet a list to follow..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/6m97j5/removing_dell_bloatware/

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS B450-F Gaming with Ryzen 5 2600X
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
Mary G
5 Iridium

Have you downloaded the manual for info about your tablet/laptop? The 32 GB drive is just for your operating system, not to download anything. You cannot download anything just use it to connect to the Internet.

Right click on the Start Button and open Disk Management to see a visual of all the drives on the device. You would have had to pay extra for a full sized hard drive but you can add an external hard drive for your files.

If you have just the 32 gb emmc drive, you should add an external hard drive, Use the tablet for connecting to the Internet. Use it as a secondary device along with your full sized computer.

Manual--

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-11-3185-2-in-1-laptop/ma...

This is from the specs--

Storage This laptop is shipped with one of the following storage options. Table 13. Storage specifications Storage type Interface type Capacity One 2.5-inch hard drive SATA 6 Gbps Up to 500 GB (5400 rpm) One 2.5-inch hard drive– Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) SATA 6 Gbps Up to 1 TB (5400 rpm) One embedded multimedia card (eMMC) eMMC Up to 128 GB

0 Kudos
nyc10036
3 Cadmium

@Mary G wrote:

Have you downloaded the manual for info about your tablet/laptop? The 32 GB drive is just for your operating system, not to download anything. You cannot download anything just use it to connect to the Internet.

Right click on the Start Button and open Disk Management to see a visual of all the drives on the device. You would have had to pay extra for a full sized hard drive but you can add an external hard drive for your files.

If you have just the 32 gb emmc drive, you should add an external hard drive, Use the tablet for connecting to the Internet. Use it as a secondary device along with your full sized computer.

Manual--

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-11-3185-2-in-1-laptop/ma...

This is from the specs--

Storage This laptop is shipped with one of the following storage options. Table 13. Storage specifications Storage type Interface type Capacity One 2.5-inch hard drive SATA 6 Gbps Up to 500 GB (5400 rpm) One 2.5-inch hard drive– Shingled Magnetic Recording (SMR) SATA 6 Gbps Up to 1 TB (5400 rpm) One embedded multimedia card (eMMC) eMMC Up to 128 GB

That is misleading.

The OP 's laptop has most likely a 32 GB eMMC hard drive and also a microSD card slot that can take up to 128 GB card.

GoatMouthB, 

You need to back up any of your personal files to the microSD card or a USB flash drive.

Then do a clean install of Windows 10 v1803.  This procedure requires use of Microsoft's Media Creation Tool. 

There are lots of Youtube videos that can show you how to do this.

I have had to do this myself, as I also own a Lenovo Ideapad 120S with the 32 GB eMMC hard drive. 

Good luck.

0 Kudos