aec0023
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 13 2-in-1 7368 power button not working

So as of recent I have been having a problem with my power button on my dell inspiron 13 - 7368. Just the other day, the power button stopped working. It will still click (it doesn't seem to be jammed at all), but nothing will happen when I try to press it. I have found a temporary solution, though I do not understand why it works. When I take the cover off the back of my computer, after a few tries usually the power button will work. However this is very inconvenient, so any ideas are welcome.

Some things I have noticed 

>The problem, which started just the other day, seemed to correspond in timing with updating the BIOS (which I did to solve a problem about waking my computer up from sleep). 

>Usually  the little LED indicator below the mouse pad would indicator when the power button is pressed, but it does nothing when trying to press the button.

Things I have done to try to solve the problem

>Opening up the back of the computer (I have close to no experience with the hardware of computers so I was just looking for anything overtly obvious, which I did not find.  Also I did not end up messing with any of the hardware, I just took of the back and pressed the power button a few times like normal, and it worked for some reason.

>Checking diagnostics, found no problems

>Checking for any updates for BIOS or the software, both are up-to-date

0 Kudos
4 Replies
LSUFAN51
4 Ruthenium

Re: Dell Inspiron 13 2-in-1 7368 power button not working

This could be a problem with the circuit of your computer power button or an issue with power option settings. Type Troubleshoot onto [Cortana] search box, select Power and then run it. 

Image: Front view

1. Power and battery-status light/hard-drive activity light

Indicates the battery-charge status or the hard-drive activity.

• NOTE: Press Fn+H to toggle this light between power and battery-status light and hard-drive activity light.

Hard-drive activity light

Turns on when the computer reads from or writes to the hard drive.

Power and battery-status light

Indicates the power and battery-charge status.

Solid white — Power adapter is connected and the battery has more than 5% charge.

Amber — Computer is running on battery and the battery has less than 5% charge.

Off
    • Power adapter is connected and the battery is fully charged.
    • Computer is running on battery and the battery has more than 5% charge.
    • Computer is in sleep state, hibernation, or turned off
0 Kudos
Highlighted
aec0023
1 Copper

I tried troubleshooting the power button, and no problems came up. For the time being it seems to be working some of the time. When I am trying to turn my computer on/wake it up it usually takes about about 5 or 6 times pressing the power button before anything will happen and it rarely works when I am trying to turn off the screen. So for the time being it is manageable, but I still think there is something wrong that I haven't been able to figure out yet.

0 Kudos
L.B.Speller
1 Copper

Did you find a solution/cause? I am suffering the exact same issue

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you with this.

As the previous user mentioned, have you tried removing the back cover & does that make the power button work?

What is the BIOS version installed?

Disconnect the power cord & remove the battery by following the manual here https://dell.to/2PaDanO (Page 20). Press & hold down the power button for 30 seconds to release the static. Connect just the power cord & check if the power button responds.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW   

Dell-SreejithRamesh
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos