anno2070
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 14 7437 replace HDD with SSD won't show up in BIOS

Hi everyone,

Recently, I've just bought a Samsung 850 EVO 250GB (2.5 inches) and replaced my laptop's HDD with it. The new SSD won't show up in BIOS. What I tried:

- Update BIOS to the newest firmware (A12).

- Plug the SSD to another laptop (and it worked perfectly).

- Check the connection between my SSD and my laptop. I'm sure that they are connected perfectly.

- Reset BIOS.

- Enable/Disable Intel SpeedStep/Intel Rapid...,... any Intel technology in BIOS.

My SSD came with the latest firmware. Please help.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Dell Inspiron 14 7437 replace HDD with SSD won't show up in BIOS

Unless your system has a setting to completely disable the SATA port that the SSD is using, there are no other settings in the BIOS that would prevent the SSD from appearing at a BIOS level, so you may want to stop messing around with other settings.  Just to confirm, where specifically in the BIOS are you looking for your hard drive?  You should be looking at the System Information section of the BIOS that shows all of the hardware in the system.  If you're checking the boot device list, your hard drive won't appear there until it has a bootable OS on it that has been registered with the system's UEFI firmware, which Windows Setup and some cloning applications will handle for you -- so check the System Information section.  If you don't see it there, have you tried reinstalling the original hard drive to make sure it's still detected in order to confirm that the system's SATA connector wasn't damaged during the initial swap or something?  If the original HDD is being detected and the SSD still isn't, then try updating the firmware for the 850 Evo itself using some other PC.

0 Kudos
anno2070
1 Copper

Thank you for your reply. I can confirm that my SSD has the latest firmware. When I replace the SSD with the old HDD, the HDD worked without issues so my laptop's SATA connector is normal. My SSD was not showing in Windows Setup progress and even when I installed Windows on the second disk (my laptop has 2 internal disks). I used diskpart command to check and my SSD was not recognized.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Is the system set up for Intel Rapid Storage, or RAID? 

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

@anno2070wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I can confirm that my SSD has the latest firmware. When I replace the SSD with the old HDD, the HDD worked without issues so my laptop's SATA connector is normal. My SSD was not showing in Windows Setup progress and even when I installed Windows on the second disk (my laptop has 2 internal disks). I used diskpart command to check and my SSD was not recognized.

In your original post you said your new SSD wasn't showing up in the BIOS.  Now you're saying it won't show up in Windows Setup and diskpart, and you didn't answer my question about where specifically in the BIOS you were looking.  Stick to the BIOS, because if you can't get it to show up there, then it definitely will not show up in Windows Setup or diskpart.  And please check the System Information area of the BIOS as I suggested, and reply whether the SSD is listed there.

0 Kudos
anno2070
1 Copper

Here is my BIOS information. "Fixed HDD" is "None" instead of my SSD's name.

IMG_20180314_120722 (1).jpg

And here is my boot order. "Second Hard Drive" should be my SSD's name.

IMG_20180314_120704 (2).jpg

0 Kudos