Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 27th, 2020 06:00

Dell Inspiron 15 3542 Early 2014 Recovery

Laptop was ordered with Windows 7. Currently I have Windows 10. I want to get the recovery image for Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10. I want the recovery image not an ISO from Microsoft. I know I can clean install with ISO from Microsoft. I do not want that option I want to use recovery image then upgrade. I have my reasons for this. So please help. I tried the OS recovery tool but get a message No OS images for the Service Tag though images do exists for the product. And I also know Windows 7 is not supported I am gonna upgrade to Windows 10.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

Neither Dell nor Microsoft supply Windows 7 any longer -- so that's not an option. Simply do a clean install of Windows 10 on the system.  Use the Windows 10 media creation tool to build a bootable flash drive.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

June 30th, 2020 14:00

You can shout as loud as you'd like, in as many places as you'd like.  The fact is that Windows 7 went end of life on January 14, 2020.  Microsoft does not distribute it any longer, and neither do any Microsoft licensees such as Dell.

If you did not prepare a set of backup media as you were prompted to when you first received the system, you may be able to find a Dell recovery disc for sale on EBay or similar.  You won't get WIndows 7 from either Dell or Microsoft at this point;  Windows 10 is the only option.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

"Neither Dell nor Microsoft supply Windows 7 any longer -- so that's not an option. Simply do a clean install of Windows 10 on the system.  Use the Windows 10 media creation tool to build a bootable flash drive."

They have to Dell does because it's what I Originally paid for. It plainly saids in the OS tool a message saids images exist. Also I tried for an Optiplex 7040 and a Windows 7 Image does exist. So why not for my model?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

"Neither Dell nor Microsoft supply Windows 7 any longer -- so that's not an option. Simply do a clean install of Windows 10 on the system.  Use the Windows 10 media creation tool to build a bootable flash drive."

I just replied to this post the reply is not showing up. 🤬 Who removed the reply very rude!

I replied and said that Dell has to offer a recovery I paid for the OS. BTW this Laptop is gonna be used offline for software not supported on Windows 10. We will upgrade in the future but for now we need Windows 7 like we paid for.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 27th, 2020 08:00

@DELL-Cares 

You sent a PM asking if I want expert help. I replied yes. You replied back 7 times telling me I would get expert help. 

How long does that take? Why did you reply 7 times? 

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 27th, 2020 08:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @Anonymous 

Automated Dell-Cares and its the weekend wait till Monday.

* Go here = Dell Recovery & Restore (keyincloud)
* Enter the Service Tag number. You should see a 586MB file 

You can also try here.

Best regards and good luck,

U2

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 12:00

Got a reply from @BP-CSTE  

This is concerning my original message. 

Dell Inspiron 15 3542 Early 2014 Recovery
Laptop was ordered with Windows 7. Currently I have Windows 10. I want to get the recovery image for Windows 7 and upgrade to Windows 10. I want the recovery image not an ISO from Microsoft. I know I can clean install with ISO from Microsoft. I do not want that option I want to use recovery image then upgrade. I have my reasons for this. So please help. I tried the OS recovery tool but get a message No OS images for the Service Tag though images do exists for the product. And I also know Windows 7 is not supported I am gonna upgrade to Windows 10.

This is the reply.

Hi,

Microsoft has ended support for Windows 7 on January 14, 2020. Microsoft technical support and automatic updates will end on this date, and platform updates for Microsoft Security Essentials will cease as well.

For more details, you can refer here: https://dell.to/2YMlLsF

Dell recommends that you begin the process of moving to Windows 10 if your computer has been tested by Dell for an upgrade to Windows 10.

-Farooq

Here is my reply back I cannot reply to them it saids fix the highlighted errors. But I see no errors.

I am aware of all that. If you will read my post you will see this will be used offline. And it will update up until January and Windows 7 does still get some updates monthly. I know it gets updates because I have used it. Just no security updates. Now my problem had nothing to do with getting updates or support ending. Now you are the tech expert why did it take a tech expert to tell me what I already know? I paid for the Windows 7 OS and that is what I want to use I am the paying Dell customer. Again my issue had nothing to do with updates or support ending. I need the Windows 7 recovery image and was told a "Tech Expert" could help. Now where is the help? Now here is my original post please read it clearly.

Please @Anonymous  FIX YOUR FORUM.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 13:00

Guess what? On my Windows 7 Desktop I was able to send the reply. I am just saying.  I guess I will use this Windows 7 desktop to reply when they reply back. I don't think I will get what I want though. Noone seems to understand I WANT WINDOWS 7 RECOVERY NOT WINDOWS 10. Do I need to get a megaphone and yell it in some ears?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 16:00

Well maybe I am the one who needs the megaphone shouted in my ear. I did not realize @U2CAMEB4ME  

Posted a link in my original post.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2020 16:00

@U2CAMEB4ME 

Thanks for the reply and I am sorry I did not see where you posted a link to a download. Thanks again so much. In a PM the virtual agent said I needed a tech expert.

Tech expert did not even lknow about what you posted. I sure hope Dell does not pay this "tech expert"  

Also in another post I got very upset and mentioned I needed a megaphone to yell because people did not understand they kelp suggesting Windows 10. Maybe I am the one who needs that megaphone yelling in my ear.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 1st, 2020 04:00

After making the USB with the Direct Key tool as suggested by @U2CAMEB4ME  https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/keyincloud. I found out it was for Windows 10. All it was, was a repair no setup.exe. So what I did was go back to the OS Recovery tool. I just remembered the Laptop I purchased in 2016 that only lasted 6 months. Yes 6 months . Anyway I also ordered that with Windows 7. I used the service tag for that System and I am gonna try to download Windows 7 Image from Dell that way.

I think it is just a plain Windows 7 image updated with USB 3.0 drivers and updates. Thanks for the help everyone I am probably not liked on this forum and people ignore me so oh well. Just when I ask for tea I don't expect someone to suggest coffee. Or I order Coke and someone suggest Pepsi Im gonna stomp my feet and get a megaphone to try to get what I want.

5.6K Posts

July 1st, 2020 08:00

Throwing a tantrum online makes you look very silly.

As far as I know Dell did not offer "recovery" image for Inspirons that could be downloaded. You were expected to create a recovery image yourself when you first received the laptop. That you neglected to do so is not Dell's problem. 

If you insist on installing Windows 7 first, buy a Dell Windows 7 DVD on eBay.

I would also suggest that you learn about Compatibility Mode in Windows 10.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 15:00

@U2CAMEB4ME

That link to the recovery the download was for Windows 10.
It was not a normal Windows 10 image. It was a recovery
Windows RE that gives you repair options.

@nyc10036

I know about ebay and I acually have the Windows 7 DVD. But they are
outdated I thought they was a newer image with updates like until 2015.
As far as me createing the recovery. I did but it never worked and
then my harddrive failed that is when I found out it did not work.
Also I had another Inspiron with Windows 7 2016 model the one that
lasted only 6 months. The recovery partition I got some error message
recovery image was not present. It never worked Dell was aware of
that also. They never really cared. It seems Dell still does not care
they will not help. I will not buy another Dell. I will build my Desktops
and buy HP Laptops from now on. Also compatibility mode does not work.

@BP-CSTE

Please reply to the PM i sent you.

Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 14th, 2020 14:00

To summarize...

Inspiron 15 3542. Purchased on October 17, 2014. Warranty expired on October 18, 2018.

* The old, "Dell Backup and Recovery" software was ended on April 14, 2016. If you did not subscribe to it with that specific
service tag number prior to that date, you cannot get a Windows 7 image/USB key.

That sounds like a scam. I already paid for the software. Why should I pay again?

Yes I know Windows 7 has no support. But that is besides the point. I am trying to reinstall Windows 7 Dell OEM copy so I can get a free upgrade. They say I had to pay for some backup and recovery. I already paid for Windows 7. Why should I pay again?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 14th, 2020 15:00

There is no product key on bottom or under battery.

No Events found!