Highlighted
Geekles
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series won't enter POST after firmware update

I was working on updating a few of the drivers for the Dell Inspiron 15, where after updating the firmware and rebooting the laptop, the laptop needed to be plugged in, in order to update its firmware. I did just that and waited, the screen turned black, however you could tell it was doing something since the fans were operational and the screen would light up for a few seconds and then become darker again. There was no way of knowing though when this update would be complete, therefore I had it do whatever it was doing for a few hours. When it became apparent that it was no longer doing anything anymore I rebooted the laptop. This is where the issue began. The power button would light up and occasionally the light bar in the front of the case (near the trackpad) would light up however the screen never turns on. It never enters BIOS, nothing. It only turns off half a second I press the power button. My guess is that the firmware update was incompatible. I've tried taking out the battery and holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds. I've made sure no external devices were plugged into the computer and that the laptop still had power (tried it with it plugged in as well). I've tried a number of things, and I haven't been able to fix it. I haven't been able to debug the issue with the POST since I read the way the keys light up can help determine what may be wrong, however, nothing like that ever happens, nor does the LED on the side display anything. I'm curious if there's a way to somehow reinstall the previous "safe" firmware version the computer came with with a bootable flash drive.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LSUFAN51
4 Ruthenium

Re: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series won't enter POST after firmware update

where after updating the firmware and rebooting the laptop, the laptop needed to be plugged in, in order to update its firmware

:BigSmile:

It appears firmware is a BIOS update. Do you know exact Dell model number and version of windows ? If no, please enter service tag number onto the link below. Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10

Support | Dell US

If you don't know the service tag number, please follow the steps in link below. 

How to find Dell Service Tag (Official Dell Tech Support)

0 Kudos
LSUFAN51
4 Ruthenium

Re: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series won't enter POST after firmware update

In the meantime, check to see if there's a BIOS recovery tool on system by following the steps in link below. 

BIOS Recovery options on a Dell PC or Tablet | Dell US

0 Kudos