Inspiron

Last reply by 12-25-2021 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming NVMe SSD compatibility

Hi,

I have been using Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming laptop since 2017 and would like to expand its storage by adding a NVMe M.2 SSD. I already purchased the SSD as I thought it is M.2 and should be compatible. However, the PC does not recognize the new SSD of 512 GB capacity with the model Samsung 980 - M.2 Internal SSD - NMVE - 500GB.

Do you think the SSD is not compatible or is it defective? <Service Tag removed>. I appreciate your help on this.

Replies (5)
8 Xenon

This is an Inspiron 7567, which will take either SATA or NVMe drives.

Does setup (F2 at powerup) see the drive?

Thanks for the reply, I also remember it was Inspiron 7567. I already made a backup of the old SSD partitions to the 1 TB Toshiba HDD already attached to the laptop and need it attached, may it interfere somehow with the new SSD? I will check after replacing the SSD with the new one and post back here. 

I reinstalled the SSD and confirmed that it is detected by the system as there is an item listed under System Information tab in the M.2 PCIe SSD-0 entry. The issue was caused by the laptop trying to boot from the Windows partition copied to the HDD as an image with Clonezilla and the partition table is different on that HDD. I had a dual-boot system with GRUB as the chain loader.

However, Clonezilla fails to recognize this new NVMe SSD drive and on the web there are entries suggesting to change BIOS setting to make it detectable. Do you have recommendations regarding this?

Use something like Macrium Reflect (free edition) to clone back to the SSD.  Be absolutely sure you remove the drive from which you've cloned before you boot the new drive for the first time.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

In case it helps anyone else coming across this later:

I attached a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe SSD to my Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming Laptop. I had a Manjaro live USB, and wanted to install Manjaro on the new SSD, but it wasn't appearing on the list of attached disks.

It turns out I had to enter setup (press F2 on the Dell boot screen), go to System Configuration > SATA Operation, and make sure "AHCI" was selected, rather than "Disabled" or "RAID On". Apparently the SATA controller can only work with NVMe drives when it is configured for AHCI? Someone else might know better why this is - all I know is, my new NVMe SSD is working now!

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor