I purchased an Inspiron 7000 15" 2 in 1 (7586) in August of this year for my freshman year of college. I have loved to computer and other than having to update the BIOS driver for the fingerprint scanner when I first got it I've had no issues. Before I left for school it connected to the internet with no problems on both my home WiFi and my phones hot-spot.
So the problem is-
When in my dorm room I can not connect to any of the available networks that the school provides, (There are 4 available) however when I'm in my classes I seem to not have a problem. All of my roommates have Dell laptops, which are Inspiron 3000's and they have no issue connecting. I have been on the phone with Dell for two nights in a row attempting to fix this with updating drivers but no long term fix has been available. Sometimes it will connect but then lose the connection later. Dell finally determined that it is not a hardware issue but a software issue, and since I did not purchase the warranty when I bought the computer, they would like to charge me $160 at the minimum to buy the warranty so they can update the software. To be honest I think this kinda sounds like some **bleep** to me, but I can be skeptical. If this is the only option I guess I will have to do it. Thought I would ask here first.
Have you tried using the Network Connection setup to choose the school network you want to use? Open Settings, Network and Internet to correct the settings, connect to the right network or run the Troubleshooter. You should be able to get the correct settings yourself.
Hey, how you doing? I had the same problem and I think I have something you can try because it worked for me.
Go to Settings/Network & Internet / Wif-Fi and click on "Change adapter options".
Once you're there, use the right-click button on your Wi-fi Adapter and go to "Properties".
Then, click on "Configure" and go to the tab called "Advanced".
Here's the thing that could vary, but I will say what I did:
You will see on your left a field called "Property" and on your right "Value".
I changed the followings:
I clicked on "802.11a/g wireless mode" and changed its value from "802.11a/g" to "802.11a/b/n"
Then, I clicked on the property called "802.11n wireless mode" and changed its value from "802.11n" to "802.11ac" .
And that's it, now I have full speed.
I hope it works for you too!