Highlighted
2 Bronze

Dell Inspiron 15 7579 2-in-1 hinge problem and warranty denied

Jump to solution

I bought my Dell Inspiron 15 7579 2-in-1 back in 2016 and used it for the last 3 years without much issue. I even took a Next Business Day on-site premium support warranty extension.

Today, I noticed that there is a small gap between the display panel and the back case. When I contacted dell support via twitter and after sending lots of pictures from different angles, they informed that the gap is not covered under the warranty as it caused due to wear and tear. There is no physical damage anywhere on the laptop and I have been handling this device with care. 

While doing a quick search on this forum for Inspiron 15 7579, I could find many users with the exact same issue of hinge/display panel separation. Yet, dell chooses to ignore this as "wear and tear" by the user.. I was advised to contact out of warranty support, but I know they will be charging a hefty amount to replace the display of a 3-year laptop. 

IMG_20190817_123015.jpg

I wonder how many laptops display gets separated due to wear and tear as this has not happened for 3 laptops I have used in past. This particular model is very fragile with ultra-slim design and 340-degree rotation which is not there many mid-range laptops especially on a heavy 15.6" form factor.  Even though this was marked as a 2-in-1 tablet/laptop hybrid, no one can use it as a tablet due to the huge size and super heavy. The 2-in1 form factor just made this laptop more fragile. 

I now regret buying this laptop as well spending a huge amount on that no good premium support warranty. Never going to buy a Dell product again. 

Exact same issues reported:

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Hinge-issue-with-my-Dell-Inspiron-15-7579/t...

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Inspiron-15-7000-7579-Hinge-Issue/td-p/5141...

https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Inspiron-15-7559-hinge-fix/td-p/5183000

Labels (3)
21 Replies
Highlighted
1 Copper

this is not a solution.  Dell is fraudulently claiming that this is "accidental damage" rather than poor design.  Let's face it, how could we all have "accidentally damaged" our laptops in the exact same way.  This should be a class action suit.  I'm researching class action lawyers in Texas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Had this exact same problem and am so disappointed that Dell doesn't stand behind their products.  Yes, our laptop is 4 years old and out of warranty, but with a fundamental design flaw in this laptop, I'd expect more than a "send us your machine for $40 shipping and we'll tell you how much it will cost to repair after it gets here" response.  This machine cost $800 and doesn't even last 4 years?  Every time I open and close it, the screen just about snaps off.  We'll check into some of the cheaper repair options posted here, but this is so disappointing.  This one is our last Dell for sure!  Anyone else even considering Dell products, I'd encourage you to shop elsewhere!

DellFlaw1.JPGDellFlaw2.JPG

0 Kudos