Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

72 Posts

June 7th, 2019 05:00

Dell Inspiron 1545 - Replacing RAM module

I want to upgrade my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop from 3GB to 4GB RAM. However, I've looked at the RAM modules inside the laptop and it seems it doesn't state on the module what size each RAM module is. My question is, how do I know which RAM module to replace?

It says on each module 'DIMM 1' and 'DIMM 2'. Is that just refering to the slot each module is in and not to the actual size of the module?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

June 7th, 2019 06:00

The size of the module is the total memory divided by 2.  The usual practice of replacing memory is to replace both sticks at the same time for compatibility.  Replacing just one, unless possibly you have the exact model number may cause problems.

I do not know what the max memory for the system is, so be careful if you decide to purchase more.  If you use your service tag, and don't expose it here, you should tell you what the original configuration was.

72 Posts

June 7th, 2019 07:00

@U2CAMEB4ME wrote:

Welcome to the Dell Community @steveu9 

If you remove the memory they may have a label on the underside???

Memory should be installed as matching pairs to utilize "Dual Channel" memory.

For the memory to be matching pairs is that the part of the spec that says '6400'.

The 2GB module that I bought is DDR2-6400 but I don't know what spec the other module inside the laptop is.

Should I buy another 2GB module so I replace both modules or will it be compatible with the other 2GB module?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 7th, 2019 07:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @steveu9 

If you remove the memory they may have a label on the underside???

Memory should be installed as matching pairs to utilize "Dual Channel" memory.

Your Setup Guide says max memory is 8GB???

Inspiron 1545 Setup Guide:

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 7th, 2019 08:00

@steveu9 

Yes 6400S is part of it.

This is what I consider "Matching Pairs".

Matchingpair.PNG

That's why it is so much easier to purchase them as pairs instead of one at a time.

Regards,

U2

72 Posts

@U2CAMEB4ME

In your post, it isn't showing the image.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

@steveu9 

The photos need to be approved before anyone can see them.

Regards,

U2

72 Posts

June 7th, 2019 10:00

@U2CAMEB4ME 

For the memory to be considered as matching pairs, do the modules have to be the same brand as each other or is it just the spec that has to be the same?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 7th, 2019 10:00

@steveu9 

They can be different brands just the same speed.

Regards,

U2

72 Posts

June 7th, 2019 11:00

@U2CAMEB4ME 

I went onto the BIOS settings. It shows the memory speed is 800Mhz.

The module that I bought is PC2-800 Does that indicate that it should be compatible with the other 2GB RAM module so I wouldn't need to replace both sticks?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 7th, 2019 11:00

@steveu9 

That's what you want to see.

You should be good to go.

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 11th, 2019 04:00

@steveu9 

Yes first boot after upgrading memory will be slow.

It will test the new memory and give you the message "Memory has changed"

Regards,

U2

72 Posts

June 11th, 2019 04:00

@U2CAMEB4ME 

After installing more RAM, is it normal for the computer to go very slow at boot up?

I upgraded the RAM to 4GB. The laptop went very slow on the Dell splash screen at boot up then after a few minutes showed a message that the memory has changed.

I thought the memory hadn't been installed correctly because the RAM module seems to stick out slightly on one side of the RAM slot. But the BIOS is showing 4GB.

No Events found!