Skulblake
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 CPU Swap

Hello there !

I'm currently rocking 6 year old Dell Inspiron 15r 5520, and after upgrading pretty much everything I could in it (RAM, SSD...etc), I still get bottlenecked by my CPU (i3-2370M).

After scouting the web for information on how to swap the CPU for a better one, I found out that the 15r 5520 is one of the last models that hasn't its CPU soldered to its motherboard.

So the search for a better CPU began, and I came across this link  which indicates a pseudo-list of compatible CPUs.

But the i7-3632QM seemed like the better option for my use case, but I can't really tell if my motherboard is compatible with this CPU.

Here are the specs of my current machine :

• Model : Inspiron 15R 5520
  • CPU : i3-2370M @2.4Ghz (Sandy Bridge)
  • CPU Socket : rPGA 988B
  • CPU TDP : 35W
  • Intergrated Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 3000
  • Motherboard Chipset : HM77 Revision 04
  • Motherboard Model : 04G65K (U3E1) (Version A02)

On Intel's website, I was able to gather the following information about the I7-3632QM :

• CPU : i7-3632QM @2.2Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
  • CPU Socket : FCPGA988
  • TDP : 35W
  • Integrated Graphics : Intel HD Graphics 4000

I found out here that my motherboard has a G2 socket, and FCPGA988 is just another name for the rPGA 988B socket (correct me if i'm wrong).

So, in theory, swapping my I3-2370M for an I7-3632QM should be possible, and should work.

Can you guys back me up, so I don't throw my money down the drain for an impossible upgrade ?

Thanks !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ejn63
7 Gold

Re: Dell Inspiron 15R 5520 CPU Swap

The 3612QM did ship in this model, so the 3632QM should work - no one can guarantee it, but it's likely.

0 Kudos
Melle6167
2 Bronze

would i have any problems upgrading my cpu to a intel core i7-3820QM ?
0 Kudos
DanMax
2 Bronze

I understand that this is an older comment that I am replying to but I have 3 Dell Inspiron 5520 laptops, plus 1 extra motherboard. I went to cpu-world.com and started by listing my cpu/processor, an Intel i5-3210m. In the compatibility list, Intel i7-3820qm is on the list, actually there's a few i7 processor's on the compatibility list. While I was doing that search, I had this laptop I'm on scanned at Crucial.com/system scan and I just learned that this motherboard which is a Dell Inspiron 5520 can accept 16gb of memory. This was one reason I had purchased 2 newer laptops, so I could increase the total amount of memory. With that said, I'm going to install these 2-8gb PC3L-1333. I mean with these newer laptops with processor's that are soldered into the motherboard, it makes these older Dell's that much more attractive. Especially to those of us who run more than 1 laptop/PC's if you will. This is a real game changer if they'll be able to run on 16gb....

Now with me online here now, I'll go ahead and go to crucial & scan my other Inspiron 5520. If it shows that it'll hold 16gb memory, you here will be the first to know it. Okay, at first it didn't accept the 16gb but I shut down, installed the 8gb then went to Dell .com, installed the latest BIOS version & after I installed the updated BIOS, it is reading 16gb memory. So, rest assured if you have a Dell Inspiron 15r-5520, you can upgrade your memory from 8gb to 16gb. I have the same i5-3210m processor that came stock with the laptop so there it is....

16gb of DDR3L-1333 Memory, installed on 03/30/2020.... Take care..

0 Kudos
r4rocking
1 Copper

Any idea where you can buy the new processors?

My 5520 is about 8 years old and still running stock and I'm wanna try to upgrade some of the components to make it run longer, but I cant seem to find a CPU anywhere locally. If anybody can post a link to buy the CPU, that will be super helpful. I've spent many hours browsing the net and apart from China(aliexpress) I don't find any valid sellers for the CPU..

I'm currently, running on core i5 3210M.

0 Kudos
ejn63
7 Gold

These haven't been made in upwards of a decade -- try EBay or one of the notebook parts suppliers (parts-people.com, impactcomputers.com, etc.).  You won't find one new - they'll all be used by now.

0 Kudos