1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 15R (5537) dual monitor setup or external docking station?

Is it possible to do a dual (MST) monitor set up for the Dell Inspiron 15R (5537)?.

Perhaps there a way to get a docking station for this laptop that may allow it?  It only has one HDMI output, so currently I am tied to the the laptop screen and one external screen.  I would like to close the lid and run two separate screens.

Perhaps this may work?

Dell D1000 - docking station - 452-BBZI

Thanks, Wheeler

0 Kudos
3 Replies
1 Copper

Re: Dell Inspiron 15R (5537) dual monitor setup or external docking station?

-

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

I think, this will work.

0 Kudos
7 Gold

Make sure you don't confuse terminology here.  "MST" refers specifically to a DisplayPort technology and is therefore only available when DisplayPort is being used, which your system does not have.  Not all dual display setups use MST, in fact most don't.  If you only have a single HDMI output, you can only natively drive a single external display from your system's GPU, since a single HDMI outputs cannot be used to support multiple independent external displays.  The only way to get another external display on that system would be to use a dock or adapter that connected via USB and used a DisplayLink chip.  The D1000 is one, but it's also ancient.  The D3100 or D6000 are both newer.  However, DisplayLink has a fair number of some drawbacks compared to using a native GPU output that I've written about here often.  That's especially true if you want intend to play full-screen video or games on the DisplayLink display, which is not advisable.  Additionally, if your Inspiron has a discrete GPU, a Windows limitation prevents discrete GPUs from ever being used for content being displayed on a DisplayLink display.

Then again, if you only want this second external display for productivity purposes, it may well be a good solution for you despite the drawbacks, since after all the only alternatives would be to either get a different system or not have a second external display at all.

0 Kudos