Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

1 Message

January 15th, 2020 12:00

Dell Inspiron 17 7000 2-in-1 WiFi card no longer working

Hello,

I wanted to share my experience so that it may help others. I bought my 7000 laptop 2 months ago and the wireless card stopped working this week. (I would love Dell's feedback regarding this story)

The problem I was having:         

One day I let the laptop sleep for 6 hours and when I turned it back on I received an error that I was not connected to the internet. The wifi icon on the task bar, in the lower right, was covered with a red X. Toggling airplane mode nor using the wifi function key had any effect. When I looked up the wifi card in Device Manager the dialog box said the windows encountered an error and that the device could not be started. Error 10. 

Trying to fix it:

I called Dell support and they guided me through the diagnostic procedures in the boot manager BIOS feature. We ran the test two times and both times it came back that all system features were working correctly. The technician then asked if I could plug in via Ethernet and I explained that this model is WiFi only. At that point, I was told that this is a software problem and that I would need to buy approximately $230 of additional warranty coverage for support to investigate. I kept it cool and told support that I would attempt self-repair. They directed me to Dell's website and this community as an aid. 

The next steps I took were to try various driver installations and updates from Intel, the maker of the WiFi chip. None of this had any effect. I also attempted resetting the WiFi settings and drivers, via the windows utility, this also did nothing. 

Finally, I opened the back of the laptop (as I now understand the limits of assistance should warranty be in dispute) and located the WiFi controller. It is a small card retained by one screw, inserted into a slot and has the standard two antenna wires connected. Re-seating the chip had no effect.

After looking up the part number on eBay, I found that this Intel chip was a hot selling item with more than 12 reviews. I ordered the chip (9560NGW R) for $15. I inserted into my laptop and instantly my WiFi returned.

Afterthought:

I believe that Dell's BIOS diagnostic tool is insufficient to test the WiFi controller, especially when it cannot power up and interact with the motherboard. Perhaps they could refine their diagnostic tool to expect the presence of the chip as opposed to only testing which chips it finds active? Furthermore, had I followed the technician's suggestion, I would have spent almost $230 for additional warranty coverage that I did not need. Only, to later discover it was in fact a hardware issue that Dell should have covered under warranty. In closing, I must say that this experience has turned me off to Dell products. Which is a shame because before this happened I believed that Dell was an industry leader in product quality and support.

1.5K Posts

January 15th, 2020 13:00

I had the same issue, same results from Tech support and rather than send in my notebook, I purchased the same Wi-Fi card that you did and put it in. works for me too and I'm not without my notebook. I also did have LAN as I use a LAN to USB adapter. Personally I'd rather fix things myself if at all possible and you never know who they will send to fix or screwup further your notebook. Mine is a business notebook with business warranty 3 years with next day in house repair. Stil the $15 for the card and 15 minutes to install it was cheap for the price for me.

1 Message

May 28th, 2020 18:00

Wanted to add my experience for others who might come along, and to thank the early posts.

I had a very similar experience.
My WiFi stopped working abruptly.
I attempted to debug it my self.
After I was unsuccessful, I reached out to Dell (I've only had the laptop for a number of months).
They were unable to resolve the issue and indicated it was a software issue and not covered by my warranty.
They suggested I pay for a software support session from Dell to try and resolve.

I purchased an adapter so I could connect to the internet

I attempted multiple driver configurations and resets to no avail.

I then purchased a new wifi card as suggested in these posts, and sure enough as soon as the computer was rebooted with the new wifi card, my issues were resolved.

Final thought I'm very disappointed in Dell and their support..
I have purchased many Dell systems over the years and have recommended them in the past, but a warranty isn't worth much if Dell can't find/resolve an issue that clearly others have encountered as well.

1 Message

July 26th, 2020 19:00

Dealing with the same issue with my Inspiron 7386. WiFi stopped working 2 days ago. Tried different things with the device manager with no success. Reset BIOS worked for about 6 hours and the WiFi stopped working again and still has not worked today. Purchasing a new WiFi card that I hope will take care of it but not hopeful. This is after having the hard drive fail a few months ago and having it repaired by Dell. My last Dell's hard drive also failed around the time that the Inspiron 7386 hard drive was fixed by Dell. So much money down the drain -- this is totally unacceptable. I actually thought sticking with one laptop brand would help for some reason.  Dell -- never again.

September 26th, 2020 17:00

Ditto, no more Dell for me either

September 26th, 2020 17:00

Wireless card failed AC-9560 after 18 months

Errors in not recognizing 65w Dell power charger

When I close the laptop lid and re-open it 5 mins later, mouse pointer goes all over the screen and what looks like exploding rain drops on the screen. Only remedy is to restart it.

Key boards key are now sticking and no food or drink goes near it.

Laptop is only 18 months old. Last time I purchase a Dell

1.5K Posts

September 28th, 2020 08:00

Hmm, check my reply below as to whether replacement works it surely did for me. 

I must be misunderstanding something about your hard drive? mine has no dock for a hard drive and I doubt seriously doubt one would even fit in this model? Mine has 2 M.2 SSD slots well actually 3 if you count the Wi-Fi card slot that is M.2 also. it is really rare that an m.2 SSD fails so you must be just a very unlucky guy?

. It took me 4 different techs telling me that I needed to reset my notebook that I finally just fixed it myself by replacing the card.

This is the one that continues to work for me https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VMSW89T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Message

November 13th, 2020 06:00

So I'm on my second WiFi card and just ordered another card from amazon. Seems that my first card went bad right after one year. Used a WiFi dongle in USB for a two months for the second card to arrive. after installing that, it worked for three months an all of a sudden, the same thing. Can't understand why the keep going bad. I spent more on this laptop than I have done on any computer equipment.  I have also had many Dells. One dell lasted me for 7 years running XP pro. that was back in 2005 when I got it, great computer.

1 Message

March 8th, 2021 05:00

Rebooting bios is just check.  Normal, tech services is always expensive.  Buying another laptop is practical as it updates your system.  Why spend money on old system, more time and further out dated is my real practicality.  Fix for $15 yes.

1 Message

March 29th, 2021 09:00

Wish I had been able to see these posts soon...Oh wait, I had no wifi!!!  My Dell is maybe 3 years old and the other day my husband noticed that the laptop was making noise and then the screen had bubbles screensaver on it, which I never have used.   Tried all of the above to figure out why the wifi wouldn't connect.  Last thing mentioned on Dell support was to download the driver software to a USB from another computer and install.   Unfortunately, I have a cell and my husband has an android tablet.  Neither has a USB port. Wound up a staples purchasing a WSB wifi adapter for $60!   

1.5K Posts

April 3rd, 2021 11:00

Hmm you could replace the actual WiFi card for around $20 or less?

4 Posts

April 21st, 2021 09:00

I started having the same issue after I rebooted my laptop today. This is Sabotage from Dell to try and get money from services. There is no reason my wireless should suddenly stop working after a reboot.

1.5K Posts

April 21st, 2021 13:00

Simple to just change out yourself, if your warranty has run out. They're around $20 on Amazon

Your service manual will show you how.

1 Message

June 20th, 2021 07:00

Same remedy for me, when my wi-fi disappeared.  Ordered a new network card here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G42J6KQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Simply remove backplate, disconnect battery, and replace faulty card with new one...it worked for me!  Hope this works for you as well! 

P.S. As a sensible precaution against static electricity damaging components, I also wore nitrile gloves...just in case!

1 Message

September 16th, 2021 15:00

I had same issue. I skipped support and followed your lead. Everything works after ordering and  installing the new card! Many thanks as this was becoming super frustrating!!

December 12th, 2021 20:00

I have a Dell Inspiron 17 7000 with an Intel Model 9560NGW R WIFI card that is inoperable.  It seems that this is the same problem that your and others have had.  You mentioned that you found a replacement card on EBay.  I have searched and have not been able to locate one. I have found a 9560NGW card on Amazon, but it does not have the same Dell P/N as the one in my unit (OVHXRR REV A00).  Do you have any other recommendations for a place to locate one.

BTW, I had the same runaround as you did with Dell. It would seem that they could just let us order a part, since they know there is a probelm.

No Events found!