Highlighted
Ruslan R
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 17r 5737 - AMD GPU died?

I've been using my Dell Inspiron 17r 5737 w/ dedicated AMD HD7870M graphics card & integrated Intel graphics since 2014.

Today something interesting happened: the laptop stopped booting the OS (Win 7 x64). The BIOS successfully passes POST, starts booting the OS, then the screen turns bright-black and laptop reboots itself without any error messages or BSOD.  The GPU cooler starts working at 100% for a few seconds right before the reboot and when the screen turns bright-black.

The consequential OS boot offers a system restore or a normal boot, which simply leads to reboot loop.

The laptop loads perfectly in safe mode. I used this to uninstall the AMD drivers via Display Driver Uninstaller tool, and tried the normal boot - it worked.

Re-installing AMD drivers led to the same boot loop problem.

Does this mean that the dedicated AMD HD7870M GPU is dead, and I can only use the integrated Intel GPU now?

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Dell Inspiron 17r 5737 - AMD GPU died?

Hi Ruslan R,

Thanks for posting. Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

If your Dell PC does not power on or boot into the operating system, it is recommended that you perform a hard reset first. Performing a hard reset usually fixes many problems and also drains any residual power that maybe causing the problem.  I would also suggest you run a systems diagnostics to detect any hardware issues.  Please run the Dell SupportAssist program, make a note of any error messages encountered and post back.

Here is information from the Dell knowledge base you may find helpful:

Dell PC does not turn on or boot into Windows

Fix Windows Boot Issues

If you need additional assistance, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information and your computer's service tag number. Thanks.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
TheRuslan
1 Copper

Robert, thank you for the advice.

Hard reset did not help, as the laptop kept going into a reboot loop. 

After uninstalling both Intel and AMD drivers completely using Display Driver Uninstaller and re-installing them, system seems to be working.

It looks like the GPU is just slowly deteriorating, as I've had black screen crashes after trying to play some lightweight games with not very demanding graphics, like Hearthstone.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Since Dell has not tested this system with that game, it would not be supported.

If you're not having difficulties with everyday use like internet, email, etc. then the system is functioning as designed.

Dell-Robert P
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, please send us the Dell service tag number via a private message
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos