Highlighted
_shankar
Copper

Dell Inspiron 3542 don't turn on.Battery and AC adapter is OK.what might be the problem .Need Help

I have my Dell Inspiron 3542,its warranty has expired.it do not turn on as well as when I plug AC adapter in charging LED is found to be OFF(it do not blink a bit ). I disconnected AC adapter,removed battery,held the power button pressed for 30 seconds and then inserted battery in place,plug in AC adapter and tried to power it on ..but it failed . I tried this solution for one week every day,but it did not work out.

I checked that my battery and AC adapter is fine using friends laptop ,same model. i do not think that i is motherboards problem..because laptop was working till one night...I shut it down properly ...next day I tried to turn it on it didn't . please help me tell me at least what might be the problem?.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ejn63
Diamond

Re: Dell Inspiron 3542 don't turn on.Battery and AC adapter is OK.what might be the problem .Need He

Unplug the system, remove the battery and hold the power button for 30 sec.  Remove and reinstall the memory module(s).

Try powering up on AC only -- if it will, but won't with the battery  connected, the battery is faulty.

If it won't power up on AC only, it is a bad mainboard.

0 Kudos
Praba
Copper

Re: Dell Inspiron 3542 don't turn on.Battery and AC adapter is OK.what might be the problem .Need He

Is your problem solved. iIalso got the problem around first week of Feb, 2018.

I am also having exact same issue. It was working fine and suddenly not turning on.

I tried all the options like starting with only battery, starting only with power, pressing the power button for 30 seconds. Reseating the RAM.

Please help me if some one fixed the same issue.

Thanks,

Praba

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

If your diagnostic report is accurate, the mainboard is the faulty part.

0 Kudos
Praba
Copper

So will dell replace it after the warranty or they will handle the laptops in warranty?

0 Kudos
ejn63
Diamond

In warranty service is no charge.  If out of warranty, there's a charge for estimate and then repair.  

The board will run $150 or so -- add another $100-150 for labor, so it's not going to be an inexpensive repair (with a system this low-end, it may be better to replace than repair the system).

0 Kudos