ZipperDude
1 Nickel

Dell Inspiron 3543 Can't Detect Nvidia GeForce 820M

Hi,

I've had a Dell Inspiron 3543 laptop about 2/3 years (it's no longer in warranty) and recently I've noticed when playing games etc. that it wasn't using the dedicated GPU (Nvidia Geforce 820M).

The GPU no longer appears in device manager, even after scanning for hardware changes. I've already tried downloading the latest drivers, which did not work as an error message appeared saying the graphics card could not be detected.

I've also tried a system restore, reinstallation of Windows and BIOS upgrade but nothing I've tried seems to be working.

Has anybody had a similar problem or have any advice for how this issue could be resolved?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: Dell Inspiron 3543 Can't Detect Nvidia GeForce 820M

Are there two entries in the device manager, or just one?

If two, and one shows a missing or faulty driver, it could be a driver issue.

If you see just one entry and are sure your system version had the nVidia option (it was an option on this model - not standard on all of them), chances are overwhelming the nVidia GPU has failed.  The only solution for that is a replacement system board.

ZipperDude
1 Nickel

There's only one entry in device manager, unfortunately I think you're right it seems that it's failed which is frustrating.

jphughan
5 Rhenium

If it’s not detected in Device Manager and you don’t see any other unrecognized devices in there either, then drivers wouldn’t help because it means it’s not even showing up at a hardware level. That unfortunately probably requires hardware replacement. If the GPU in that system is a physically separate card, it could be the card or the motherboard slot, but if the GPU is soldered onto the motherboard itself, which is more common now, you’d need a new motherboard.
ZipperDude
1 Nickel

Yes the GPU is soldered into the motherboard itself, looks like a hardware failure. Thanks for the replies.

0 Kudos
Sam_rn
1 Copper

I have the same problem and my dell is also 3543 with the same graphics card nvidia 820m would like to know if you have a got a solution

Sam_rn
1 Copper

I mean solution other than motherboard replacement.

0 Kudos
Takeshi1409
1 Copper

I have same problems. My dell is using Geforce 820M. I update the driver for this GPU, the lastest version. But it's not working. My laptop can't find the device. Fix it soon.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos