Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2022 02:00

Dell Inspiron 3593 SSD Upgrade

Inspiron 3593

Inspiron 3593

Hello there, Actually I need your help in buying the right and compatible SSD for my Dell laptop (Inspiron 3593) it doesn't have optical drive so I'm purchasing a M.2 SSD so can you please help me with that?

Like which one should I buy M.2 NVMe or M.2 PCIe...

That's only where I'm confused because it shows PCIe/SATA support in bios and that's why I'm confused because is PCIe support means only PCIe SSD or is it also for NVMe SSD?

The point is...I want to know that does my laptop supports M.2 NVMe SSD according to bios also?

And I also attached some photographs so that you can see what I mean to ask you.

You can see in the Bios photo, it has "AHCI" option and a "Raid on" option...but above that there also an option of M.2 PCIe/SATA ssd option...and all of that makes me more confused that which SSD is compatible for my laptop NVMe or PCIe

I would really appreciate your help and will be thankful to you.

IMG20220907231416.jpg

IMG20220907231144.jpg

IMG20220909010139.jpg

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 25th, 2022 03:00

For all intents and purposes, PCIe and NVMe are interchangeable.  The system will have shipped with IRST (RAID) ON, but that still allows for both an NVMe and a SATA SSD operating separately.  The only caveat:  if you install both an NVMe (PCIe) and SATA drives, the NVMe must be the boot drive - meaning you will either need to clone the existing drive to the new one or reinstall Windows.  In either case, remove the SATA drive before starting the install or immediately before booting the cloned drive the first time.  Once complete, you can then reinstall the SATA drive and use it for storage.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

September 26th, 2022 03:00

At least read the replies before asking the exact same question again.

NVMe and PCIe are the same thing where drives are concerned.

This system will not support an M.2 SATA SSD.

Whether you run a drive in AHCI mode or in IRST mode is up to you and independent of the hardware.  Yes, you can boot from an NVMe drive (in fact, if you have both NVMe and 2.5" SATA in the system, the NVMe drive must be the boot device.

The only type of drive that won't run at full speed is PCIe 4 -- the system has a PCIe 3 interface.

September 26th, 2022 01:00

Literally, Thank you so much for the guidance it is very helpful I really appreciate it but I still have my doubt...My point is that right now there are three types of M.2 SSDs available on consumer level in India...

1. M.2 SATA which works on AHCI protocol.

2. M.2 PCIe which is more faster and a enhanced version but still works on AHCI protocol.

3. M.2 NVMe which is right the best SSD available as price to value and for speed also but this SSD works on PCIe protocol.

Now I'm confused because of protocol support it only shows AHCI in bios not PCIe that's where I've to consider that what if I purchase 3rd no. SSD which is NVMe SSD but my laptop supports NVMe or not and if it will support NVMe SSD then will the SSD work on full its potential.

Brother, Let me just ask you point to point...

I mean I know there is port for NVMe SSD in my laptop but all I'm asking is will it also supports NVMe SSD from bios?

Will my laptop support NVMe SSD and if it supports will it work on its full potential and with a really good speed?

I'm asking about the 3rd SSD which is NVMe works on PCIe protocol from the above list I mentioned.

Thank you so much, I'll be hoping that you will resolve my query for sure

Last but not least, Please suggest me some SSDs according to the answer also.

September 26th, 2022 23:00

Man, only I know how many times I did read the solution you gave me but I couldn't understood your answer because of my lack of knowledge in this...and isn't it obvious why I needed help

I only got that part of your answer where you mentioned that I must have to make the NVMe drive bootable either by cloning or by reinstalling (disconnect harddisk when installing)

Anyway, I got my answer... And literally Thank you so much for that I really really appreciate your help.

• just few last things I wanted to ask, After the installation should I enable AHCI or leave it on Raid On?
  • And just for confirmation, here you mentioned PCIe 4 and PCIe 3...are these referenced as generation?
    • And please suggest me a SSD up to 500gb which this laptop supports... should I go for crucial p5 plus or crucial p3 plus or WD or any other SSD please suggest me one

Again, Thank you so much

45 Posts

October 19th, 2022 22:00

@Piyush Latta wrote:

Man, only I know how many times I did read the solution you gave me but I couldn't understood your answer because of my lack of knowledge in this...and isn't it obvious why I needed help

I only got that part of your answer where you mentioned that I must have to make the NVMe drive bootable either by cloning or by reinstalling (disconnect harddisk when installing)

Anyway, I got my answer... And literally Thank you so much for that I really really appreciate your help.

• just few last things I wanted to ask, After the installation should I enable AHCI or leave it on Raid On?
  • And just for confirmation, here you mentioned PCIe 4 and PCIe 3...are these referenced as generation?
    • And please suggest me a SSD up to 500gb which this laptop supports... should I go for crucial p5 plus or crucial p3 plus or WD or any other SSD please suggest me one

Again, Thank you so much

Since you are having a bit trouble understanding the terms let me simplify ..

"M.2" is just a different shape

m.2 sata is similar to 2.5 inch sata ssd in terms of "speed"

m.2 nvme is PCIE ...

so get m.2 NVME drives not m.2 sata drives for your laptop

45 Posts

October 19th, 2022 22:00

Since you are having a bit trouble understanding the terms let me simplify ..

"M.2" is just a different shape

m.2 sata is similar to 2.5 inch sata ssd in terms of "speed"

m.2 nvme is PCIE ...

so get m.2 NVME drives not m.2 sata drives for your laptop

No Events found!