Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2022 13:00

Dell Inspiron 5515 BSOD

Dell Insprion 5515.  

Frequent, and I mean today alone: 5 - 7 BSOD errors.  I have wiped and reinstalled Windows 10 Home, upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, then upgraded to Windows 11 Pro, twice.  Updated drivers, ran Windows Update, it's all current.  Ran Dell Support Assist.  It finds no issues with hardware or out-of-date drivers.  Yet, I continue to get BSOD errors. 

Below is the analysis of the crash dumps of the past several BSOD errors.  While this report is only of the several that have occured today, it frequently mentions thermal issues.  I don't know what to do to fix any of this.  My wife has an identical model laptop (they were bought at the same time, same model, same configuration).  She has had *no* BSODs.  I have run the quick scan by Dell Support Assist, and the extended scan.  It finds no issues.  Yet, the BSODs continue.

System Information (local)

Computer name: CARROLL-5515
Windows version: Windows 11, 10.0, version 2009, build: 22000 (x64)
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: Inspiron 5515, Dell Inc., 0KDKG8
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics 8664, level: 23
Processor count: 16 logical processors, active mask: 65535
RAM: 15720.2MB

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Sun 6/5/2022 2:56:09 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-9031-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1(0x7FFE7AFF043C, 0xFF, 0xD4, 0x7FFE7AFF043C)
Bugcheck name: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
Analysis: This is a typical software problem. Most likely this is caused by a bug in a driver.

On Sun 6/5/2022 2:56:09 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP (Kernel memory dump)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1(0x7FFE7AFF043C, 0xFF, 0xD4, 0x7FFE7AFF043C)
Bugcheck name: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
Analysis: This is a typical software problem. Most likely this is caused by a bug in a driver.

On Sun 6/5/2022 10:56:20 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-10078-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0xFC(0xFFFFFBDCC08F6000, 0x8100000234822863, 0xFFFFDD04D8A91E80, 0x2)
Bugcheck name: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
Analysis: This particular bugcheck may be caused by malware or a security product that does not follow programming guidelines. This can also be caused by memory corruption. This is possibly a software problem. There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues

On Sun 6/5/2022 10:53:49 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-9781-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0xA(0x5D6, 0xFF, 0x3E, 0xFFFFF8030C49737A)
Bugcheck name: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.

On Sun 6/5/2022 10:32:37 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-9265-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x50(0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8054D6812F5, 0x2)
Bugcheck name: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced. This can be caused by a faulty driver. Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume. It can also be caused by faulty hardware, (in particular faulty or overheated RAM or video RAM) or an overheated system component.
Analysis: This is likely a software problem which means that it was probably caused by a bug in a driver.
There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues

On Sun 6/5/2022 8:31:48 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-9062-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B(0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF8067D829B0B, 0xFFFFDB00BBFE2900, 0x0)
Bugcheck name: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the suggestions displayed in the bugcheck analysis above.

The analysis process took 0:00:14 (h:mm:ss).

22 Posts

May 31st, 2023 10:00

Well, we have finally resolved the issues we had with our Dell Inspiron 5515 laptops.  My wife's laptop died (naturally, *after* the warranty expired), and I traded mine in on an HP laptop.  Replaced the wife's laptop with an HP.  So far, no issues with either one, and we've been able to run continuously *without* BSODS!  Can you imagine that!?  Bought the wife's laptop from Walmart, and got mine from Costco.  Wife's was a Core i5 with 16GB ram and a 512GB SSD.  Mine is a Core i7 with 16GB ram and a 1TB NVME SSD.  Neither laptop has the finger print sensor we got used to with the Dells, and the power button is in an odd place (6 buttons to the left, from the right edge along the top row of buttons) on the keyboard.  Got a $300 Costco trade-in on my Dell.  Ironically enough, we still owe Dell the balance that was due for the Inspirons we were making  payments on.  Frankly, we're glad to be done with them.

I *could* have wiped my still working (after a fashion, ignoring the frequent BSODs) laptop and given it to someone to use, but I didn't feel right about giving away something I knew was defective.  Dell wouldn't admit it was defective, but we all know *this* model of Inspiron is most assuredly defective.

Frankly, I'm glad we're done with these two headaches.  They've been nothing *but* headaches the entire time we had them.  

The jury is still out on the HP laptops that replaced them, but so far, we've not had any issues that weren't corrected with updated drivers.

• 

25K Posts

June 5th, 2022 14:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution. In the meantime, you may also receive assistance or suggestions from the community members.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

June 5th, 2022 14:00

You have reinstalled Windows numerous times with no effect. You could try running in safe mode for a while to see if the BSOD returns but I would suggest downloading and running Memtest86 available at their site here. If during the test you see any errors, and I mean even 1 error, then that is a memory fail.

isGoodTroubleshooting

22 Posts

June 5th, 2022 16:00

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will give that a shot and see what I can find out.  I *have* run both the quick tests from Dell Support Assist, as well as the extended tests, and they don't report any issues.  If Memtest86 does a more extensive test than those, it will be worth a shot.

22 Posts

June 7th, 2022 18:00

I downloaded and installed MemTest86 as per the directions, booted up the USB, and let it run it's course.  It found no errors at all.  The tests ran for a few hours, and didn't report one error.  If I could find where it saved the test report results, I'd post it here, but it was about 4:30 AM local time when I saw it had finished, and didn't make note of where the results file was saved.

22 Posts

June 12th, 2022 13:00

I have followed all the offered suggestions, (update Windows, update drivers, scan hardware for errors using Dell Support Assist as well as the diagnostic routines in the BIOS, run Memtest86 to scan for memory errors.  No errors reported, drivers up to date, BIOS up to date.  Yet, I still have BSODs.

Here is the latest crash dump report from WhoCrashed:

Welcome to WhoCrashed (HOME EDITION) v 7.01

WhoCrashed is a comprehensible crash dump analyzer. It analyzes the system crashes of your computer or a remote computer on the network.

If your computer has displayed a blue (or black) screen of death or rebooted suddenly then your system may have crashed because of a malfunctioning device driver or because of a hardware failure. WhoCrashed will go to great lengths to help you find the root cause of the problem and a solution if available. It will analyze the crash dump files on your system or a system on the network with the single click of a button. In case the problem is caused by a malfunctioning driver, it will tell you what drivers are likely to be responsible for crashing your computer. In case of a hardware failure, it will tell you the most likely root cause and how to fix the problem.

When the analysis process is complete, WhoCrashed will write a report that offers suggestions on how to proceed in any situation, including internet links which will help you further troubleshoot any detected problems.

WhoCrashed will do great efforts to find out why your system crashed and what can be done to remedy the problem.

To obtain technical support visit www.resplendence.com/support

Click here to check if you have the latest version or if an update is available.

Just click the Analyze button for a comprehensible report ...

Home Edition Notice

This version of WhoCrashed is free for use at home only. If you would like to use this software at work or in a commercial environment you should get the professional edition of WhoCrashed which allows you to perform more thorough and detailed analysis. It also offers a range of additional features such as remote analysis on remote directories and remote computers on the network.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS VERSION OF WHOCRASHED IS NOT LICENSED FOR USE BY PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT ENGINEERS.

Click here for more information on the professional edition.
Click here to buy the the professional edition of WhoCrashed.

System Information (local)

Computer name: CARROLL-5515
Windows version: Windows 11, 10.0, version 2009, build: 22000 (x64)
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: Inspiron 5515, Dell Inc., 0KDKG8
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics 8664, level: 23
Processor count: 16 logical processors, active mask: 65535
RAM: 15720.2MB

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Sat 6/11/2022 12:44:31 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061122-9296-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x101(0xC, 0x0, 0xFFFF8600131C0180, 0x2)
Bugcheck name: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Driver or module in which error occurred: amdppm.sys (amdppm+0x3a22)
File path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\amdppm.sys
Description: Processor Device Driver
Product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company: Microsoft Corporation
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval. This can be caused by non-responding hardware or by a overheated CPU (thermal issue).
Analysis: This is likely caused by a hardware problem, but there is a possibility that this is caused by a misbehaving driver.
This bugcheck indicates that a timeout has occurred. This may be caused by a hardware failure such as a thermal issue or a bug in a driver for a hardware device.
Read this article on thermal issues
A full memory dump will likely provide more useful information on the cause of this particular bugcheck. The crash took place in a Microsoft module. The description of the module may give a hint about a non responding device in the system.

On Sat 6/11/2022 12:44:31 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP (Kernel memory dump)
Bugcheck code: 0x101(0xC, 0x0, 0xFFFF8600131C0180, 0x2)
Bugcheck name: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
Driver or module in which error occurred: amdppm.sys (amdppm+0x3a22)
File path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\amdppm.sys
Description: Processor Device Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval. This can be caused by non-responding hardware or by a overheated CPU (thermal issue).
Analysis: This is likely caused by a hardware problem, but there is a possibility that this is caused by a misbehaving driver.
This bugcheck indicates that a timeout has occurred. This may be caused by a hardware failure such as a thermal issue or a bug in a driver for a hardware device.
Read this article on thermal issues
A full memory dump will likely provide more useful information on the cause of this particular bugcheck. The crash took place in a Microsoft module. The description of the module may give a hint about a non responding device in the system.

On Fri 6/10/2022 12:21:16 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061022-9078-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E(0xFFFFFFFFC000001D, 0xFFFFF80452576E74, 0x1, 0xFFFFF80456550650)
Bugcheck name: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Driver or module in which error occurred: FLTMGR.SYS (FLTMGR+0x6E74)
File path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\FLTMGR.SYS
Description: Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
Analysis: This could be caused by either a software or hardware problem.
Hardware failure is often caused by overheating. Read this article on thermal issues
The crash took place in a file system driver. Since there is no other responsible driver detected, this could be pointing to a malfunctioning drive or corrupted disk. It's suggested that you run CHKDSK to check your drive(s) for errors.

On Fri 6/10/2022 12:17:54 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061022-11281-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0xA(0x288, 0xFF, 0xC4, 0xFFFFF8060FB36FC0)
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.

On Fri 6/10/2022 8:22:15 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061022-9343-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E(0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF804434264B8, 0x1, 0x4)
Bugcheck name: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Driver or module in which error occurred: win32kbase.sys (win32kbase+0x7CB01)
File path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\win32kbase.sys
Description: Base Win32k Kernel Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
Analysis: This could be caused by either a software or hardware problem.
Hardware failure is often caused by overheating. Read this article on thermal issues
Since there is no other responsible driver detected, it is suggested that you look for an updated driver for your graphics hardware. It's also possible that your graphics hardware was non-functional or overheated.

On Fri 6/10/2022 8:19:47 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\061022-8781-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0xA(0x288, 0xFF, 0x24, 0xFFFFF80238536FC0)

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the suggestions displayed in the bugcheck analysis above.

The analysis process took 0:00:11 (h:mm:ss).

I need to get this issue resolved.  I can not depend on this laptop for any serious work, as I can not depend on it to stay running without interrupting me with a BSOD.  The latest was this morning at church as we were setting up to live stream the morning service.  It crashed, and I had to run home (thankfully, only a 3 minute drive from the church) and grab my wife's identical laptop, to do the livestream with.  No issues with that one.  It's not been upgraded to Windows 11 yet, but it's identical in all hardware specifications to my laptop.

22 Posts

June 22nd, 2022 07:00

Well, I am officially done with Dell systems for my personal use.  I've never had issues like I've had with this laptop.  I have wiped and re-installed Windows multiple times, and continue to get BSOD errors.  I tried a totally clean install from a freshly downloaded from Microsoft Windows 11 setup file, and got BSODs.  So, I downloaded a fresh setup file for Windows 10 from Microsoft, and was encouraged, because I got through a whole day without a BSOD.  Nope! It BSOD'd on me this morning.

I have tried all, and I repeat *all* of the recommendations offered here and through private messages from Dell Support, and *continue* to have BSOD errors.  I've uploaded the memory dump files for Tech Support to analyze.  They say it's a software issue.  I ran it in Safe Mode, with no issues.  They say again it's a software issue.  So, as a last resort. I made sure I had the latest Windows 11 installation files downloaded direct from Microsoft's web site.  BSOD.  So, my last resort was to download the latest setup files for Windows 10 and install (again, a clean install on a wiped drive (blew all partitions away on the drive, and installed to a "clean" drive.  Nope!  BSOD again this morning.

I'm done.

22 Posts

June 27th, 2022 08:00

And the fun continues.  Now, my wife's *identical* model laptop has developed the same issues.  Multiple crashes per day.  She hasn't upgraded to Windows 11 yet, and is not running anything other than mainstream software (Microsoft Office 365, LibreOffice, etc.) and yet I saw four crashes yesterday in the span of about 40 minutes.

I don't know what the problem is with this particular model of laptop, but congratulations, Dell, Inc:  You have soured me on purchasing any laptops from you ever again.  And no, I am not satisfied in any way, shape, form, or fashion with the support I have gotten related to this issue.

8 Posts

October 27th, 2022 09:00

Not that it helps but I have the same laptop and the same issues.   I suspect we are not alone.

Multiple BSOD per day and they seem to vary so much it's impossible to pinpoint the issue.   I've tried the built in Dell hardware diagnostics, memtest86, Windows Memory Diagnostics, chkdsk, the windows driver verifier, etc.  Nothing shows up on the hardware side.

I have tried a fresh install of Windows 10 and 11, with and without any Dell software and the issue persists.  I have tried using the Dell recovery tools to do a fresh install.  Still the same issues.  I can't help but think it is a driver issue.  Dell Support have told me it is not covered by the warranty, and I have to pay to get support for that.  This seems unacceptable that a machine cannot even run with a default install of Windows.  

I've been a Dell customer for years, but this has made up my mind about ever buying again or recommending to others.  Dell please fix this. 

22 Posts

October 27th, 2022 11:00

I'm wondering if it's related to the AMD chipset?  I don't really know.  In any event, we bought identical laptops.  16GB of ram, 1TB NVME SSD drives, AMD's Ryzen 5700, I believe it is.  I don't know if the Intel version of this system is having the same issues.  But like yourself, I am soured on Dell hardware now, and that took some doing.  At my recommendation, my employer's dental practice is running exclusively Dell desktops and laptops.  We have a Lenovo file server, but the rest of the office is running on Dell systems.  We have even had a couple of Dell file servers.  That's how deeply we've been in the Dell ecosystem.  Well, not any more!  

8 Posts

October 27th, 2022 12:00

Yes we have the AMD 5700U model with 500GB SSD and 16GB RAM. 

I also wondered about the AMD chipset part so I downloaded from AMD.  There is an Auto Detect tool that I used as I was not sure what to get.  It's been on a Win 10 install for a few days.  I did notice some BSOD crashes early on that I think happened after the update but it has been stable for over a day which is a miracle -- I'm not convinced it is the solution yet. 

At one point with Windows 11 I was getting a BSOD crash and reboot every few minutes.  Now I'm usually getting them 1 or 2 times a day and often after the computer has been left alone for a while and has presumably gone to sleep.  Better but still not great.  

9 Posts

November 1st, 2022 18:00

I have the same issue, and DELL support has been, well non-ideal in that they want to charge me for their work.  I mean all that this thing runs is Windows 11 and the updates DELL software mandates, and somehow those support people keep blaming me.  They are they are the worst.

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 Home
OS Version: 10.0.22621 N/A Build 22621
OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration: Standalone Workstation
OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
Product ID: 00326-10000-00000-AA293
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 5515
System Type: x64-based PC
Processor(s): 1 Processor(s) Installed.
[01]: AMD64 Family 23 Model 104 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1801 Mhz
BIOS Version: Dell Inc. 1.12.0, 8/12/2022

22 Posts

November 1st, 2022 19:00

I am not impressed with Dell Support in this instance, myself.  It can not be simply a driver issue, or a misconfiguration issue, as they continually insisted it was.  The issues perist despite *multiple" wipes and reinstallations of Windows.  I *totally* wiped the SSD on this system, and even installed Windows 10 Home "from scratch", i.e., the Microsoft-supplied installation files.  It didn't matter if I used the installation files from Microsoft or Dell.  I end up with the same issues.  So far, my system is behaving fairly well after the most recent revert to Windows 10 from Windows 11.  My system seemed to be behaving fairly well with Windows 10 Home, so I tried again to do the upgrade to Windows 11.  It went ok, for a while.  Then, three BSODs in a row, in the space of a few minutes.  I reverted to the Windows 10 installation, which the system had kept.  It's behaving so far.  Execept for an issue with the Remote Desktop Client which I use to connect to my office computer, it's behaving for the most part, today at least.

8 Posts

November 1st, 2022 21:00

Seems like we are all in the same boat.  Identical issues like we are seeing cannot be a coincidence.   There is something wrong with the systems we were sold.

My Windows 10 install (with a full disk SSD format and repartition with Micrsoft Windows downloaded OS) has been semi-stable but still suffers from BSOD crashes daily.   The same steps with the Dell OS Recovery tools also had the same issues.   

I am looking for ideas of what to try next.   Maybe someone from Dell can chime in?

Not that it helps solve anything, but the Reliability Monitor provides a not so nice picture of what's been happening on your PC.  Crash after crash...   

bugbbq_1-1667363368376.png

10 Posts

November 8th, 2022 12:00

WARNING--Ridiculously lengthy saga ahead:
I just now found this thread, but have been experiencing the same issue with my Inspiron 5515 with the identical AMD Ryzen specs since August, just a few weeks after the 1-year warranty had expired. At first, the BSOD would appear once every few days, so I began researching the different stop codes. I found one source that said it could be due to MacAfee, which I had just renewed. So I disabled MacAfee and that seemed to help for a while, but then the BSODs showed up again.

I also read that the issue could be connected to Windows 11, which I'd updated to a few months earlier, so I called Microsoft support as a Microsoft 365 subscriber. I ended up working with four different tech reps over the next several weeks, all of whom accessed my laptop remotely. The first two downloaded updated drivers and made other small adjustments, but the issue persisted. The third uninstalled and reinstalled Windows 11 twice to no avail. The fourth rep wiped my machine and then reinstalled Windows 11; still no luck. I spent hours upon hours watching these folks perform these "fixes," then after they signed off, monitoring my laptop to ensure the Windows installation process was completed before the computer crashed again (which happened a few times). The fourth rep finally concluded it had to be a hardware issue. I will say that all four were pleasant and appeared knowledgeable, and I was not charged for their time. But the amount of time I spent on this was crazy.

I then called Dell Support and explained the issue and all that Microsoft had done to help. The Dell rep ran a remote test on the hardware that showed no issues. He suggested it was Windows 11 causing the difficulty, and although I reminded him of all that had already been done with Windows, he insisted on reinstalling Windows 11 YET AGAIN. He signed off while I once again ensured it had installed successfully. And, of course, the BSOD returned. When I reported this, he suggested I ship the computer to Dell for diagnosis and repair.

I wasn't comfortable doing this, so got a recommendation for a reputable local repair shop. Long story longer, the tech there wiped it clean and reinstalled Windows and made other adjustments that had not been addressed, but afterwards found the issue still had not been resolved. He then replaced the hard drive, pointing out the original one was smaller than and inferior to the typical hard drive. Still, the BSOD appeared again, and he concluded it had to be something to do with the motherboard that he would not be able to access. (I apologize if my terminology here is off.) So now I had sunk $250 into unsuccessful repairs. (It may be worth noting that the repair guy told me he sees numerous problems with machines with AMD chipsets and recommended stickling with Intel going forward.)

As all this was transpiring, not only did the BSOD occur more and more frequently, at other times the computer would simply shut down spontaneously without displaying the error page. It was to the point where it was simply unusable.

I then called Dell again and reported all the measures I'd taken thus far to fix a machine that stopped working properly after just over a year. The rep said they needed to see the laptop themselves to do anything further, so I had no recourse but to spend the required $59 for shipment and diagnosis. They came back saying it needed a new fan and new parts for the memory. With labor, the cost would be $110 with a 90-day warranty. I was kicking myself for having spent more than that with the local repair shop, but chalked it up to experience and figured I had to see this through. I paid the additional $110 and five days later (yesterday), the serviced laptop came back to me.  

You guessed it, within minutes of starting it up, the BSOD appeared! Unbelievable. I called Dell today and the tech ran a few tests remotely and updated a few things. And now I wait to see if the BSOD appears again. He said if it does, I may need to go back to using Windows 10. To say I am beyond fed up with this process is a gross understatement. I do NOT understand how they could ship back this laptop without having adequately tested it. I can't believe after all this time and expense I am still being asked to remedy this on my own by doing something like going back to Windows 10. And the thought of having to ship it back to them for further work, which may very well be necessary, makes me physically ill. 

I used Dell machines at work for many years, which is why I chose this brand when I left my job to start my own consultancy last year. I thought I had done enough research on this model to warrant the purchase, but clearly did not make a good choice. I am hoping against hope that Dell offers a fair resolution to this ongoing nightmare. 
No Events found!