Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 5th, 2022 13:00

Dell Inspiron 5515 BSOD

Dell Insprion 5515.  

Frequent, and I mean today alone: 5 - 7 BSOD errors.  I have wiped and reinstalled Windows 10 Home, upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, then upgraded to Windows 11 Pro, twice.  Updated drivers, ran Windows Update, it's all current.  Ran Dell Support Assist.  It finds no issues with hardware or out-of-date drivers.  Yet, I continue to get BSOD errors. 

Below is the analysis of the crash dumps of the past several BSOD errors.  While this report is only of the several that have occured today, it frequently mentions thermal issues.  I don't know what to do to fix any of this.  My wife has an identical model laptop (they were bought at the same time, same model, same configuration).  She has had *no* BSODs.  I have run the quick scan by Dell Support Assist, and the extended scan.  It finds no issues.  Yet, the BSODs continue.

System Information (local)

Computer name: CARROLL-5515
Windows version: Windows 11, 10.0, version 2009, build: 22000 (x64)
Windows dir: C:\WINDOWS
Hardware: Inspiron 5515, Dell Inc., 0KDKG8
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 7 5700U with Radeon Graphics 8664, level: 23
Processor count: 16 logical processors, active mask: 65535
RAM: 15720.2MB

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\WINDOWS
C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

On Sun 6/5/2022 2:56:09 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-9031-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1(0x7FFE7AFF043C, 0xFF, 0xD4, 0x7FFE7AFF043C)
Bugcheck name: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
Analysis: This is a typical software problem. Most likely this is caused by a bug in a driver.

On Sun 6/5/2022 2:56:09 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP (Kernel memory dump)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1(0x7FFE7AFF043C, 0xFF, 0xD4, 0x7FFE7AFF043C)
Bugcheck name: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
Analysis: This is a typical software problem. Most likely this is caused by a bug in a driver.

On Sun 6/5/2022 10:56:20 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-10078-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0xFC(0xFFFFFBDCC08F6000, 0x8100000234822863, 0xFFFFDD04D8A91E80, 0x2)
Bugcheck name: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
Analysis: This particular bugcheck may be caused by malware or a security product that does not follow programming guidelines. This can also be caused by memory corruption. This is possibly a software problem. There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues

On Sun 6/5/2022 10:53:49 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-9781-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0xA(0x5D6, 0xFF, 0x3E, 0xFFFFF8030C49737A)
Bugcheck name: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.

On Sun 6/5/2022 10:32:37 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-9265-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x50(0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8054D6812F5, 0x2)
Bugcheck name: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced. This can be caused by a faulty driver. Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume. It can also be caused by faulty hardware, (in particular faulty or overheated RAM or video RAM) or an overheated system component.
Analysis: This is likely a software problem which means that it was probably caused by a bug in a driver.
There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues

On Sun 6/5/2022 8:31:48 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\060522-9062-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B(0xC000001D, 0xFFFFF8067D829B0B, 0xFFFFDB00BBFE2900, 0x0)
Bugcheck name: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. No offending third party drivers have been found. Consider using WhoCrashed Professional which offers more detailed analysis using symbol resolution. Also configuring your system to produce a full memory dump may help you.

Read the suggestions displayed in the bugcheck analysis above.

The analysis process took 0:00:14 (h:mm:ss).

8 Posts

November 8th, 2022 13:00

Feel your pain pax601.  Will be surprised if Win10 is your solution but interested to hear updates.  It has not been for me.

FYI: I noticed that just today Dell posted a new BIOS update for our systems -- always hopeful that an update with low level hardware instructions might be the solution we need... I am installing.

10 Posts

November 8th, 2022 14:00

Yes, the tech today installed that BIOS update during our call. Seems too good to be true that this might do the trick, but it would be such a relief it it is. Just want to end this nightmare. Please let us know if it works for you and I’ll do the same. Thanks!

10 Posts

November 25th, 2022 17:00

Meant to provide an update. The BIOS update from Nov. 8 did not solve the issue. The Dell rep went back to concluding it was a Windows 11 problem and could offer no more assistance. I asked to speak to a manager, and the next day one one called and I related all the steps taken and troubleshooting done with both Microsoft and Dell over a period of weeks, culminating in Dell's sending back a supposedly repaired machine that still had the same issue. I was told Dell would refund the money spent for the new parts as promised, but I had to argue strenuously in order to be refunded the cost of shipment and diagnosis.

I then asked if Dell could offer a discount on a new laptop, since they had sold me one that worked only a few weeks past the one-year warranty. The rep said that could not be arranged and had no other offer to extend. I told him I found it unacceptable that a huge company that ran discounts on their products every day could not offer any sort of discount to a loyal customer who had spent hundreds of dollars and untold hours and hours of time following every one of their recommendations to repair what clearly was an issue with the product they sold me. At one point I was told that there had been no widespread issues with this model, and that there will always be a few machines that fail, but Dell can't predict or prevent that. In other words, I was just unlucky and this was not their problem to solve.

I am extremely disappointed with the terrible customer service and response. The Microsoft reps I worked with remotely during this process were FAR more helpful and empathetic, and didn't charge anything for the hours of support. Two of the four Dell reps I dealt with were terribly condescending and dismissive, and the other two were robotic in their discourse. Although I have given up on any sort of discount or other assistance, I will be contacting others in Dell management to voice my concerns. Many large corporations have systems in place to maintain good customer relations, so size is no excuse if Dell wants to maintain their reputation among prominent tech players.

Bugbbq and others on this string, have you been able to resolve the issue?

And, yes, I've had to purchase another computer, and after much research settled on a Lenovo. Will never trust Dell again.

8 Posts

November 26th, 2022 09:00

Thanks for the update.  For me, the BIOS update did not resolve anything for our computer.  Still crashes regularly.  I have just upgraded to Windows 11 again to see how things are.  Not expecting anything great but I'll keep trying and update any discoveries.

9 Posts

November 28th, 2022 15:00

This is definitely a Dell inspiron 5515 issue.  i have the same model.  i’ve spent so much time trying to get this thing working.  i’m just done.

same problems bsod multiple times a day.  useless Dell support even when under warranty, they were just trying to charge me money.  they eventually replaced some parts, and it works a little better, like down to a bsod once or twice a day now.  They blame it on software I installed, but all I have installed is obviously windows updates and Dell supplied drivers and it can’t stay stable.  

Because of such poor phone support, their insistence it is somehow my fault, and it can only be solved if i give them more money.  I have told all of my clients to remove all Dell models from their fleets.  HP and Apple just got my personal business of new machines for family as well.  Dell is the worst.  the worst.  Won’t ever buy from them again, nor will i buy an AMD machine ever again.

22 Posts

November 28th, 2022 17:00

And that has pretty much been my experience.  They insist it must be software issues, despite the fact that I have qiped and reinstalled Windows *multiple* times over the course of this long, sad saga, to no avail.  No matter which way I take to wipe and re-install, whether it's from the factory reset, or to totally wipe the SSD and re-install Windows from a downloaded setup file straight from Microsoft, the BSODS continue.  They have abated *somewhat* with my system, but my wife's system continues to BSOD multiple times per day.

Based on the lack of response from any Dell Tech support folks that allegedly monitor this forum, I'm guessing they've written off this thread.

22 Posts

November 28th, 2022 17:00

It's not simply a Windows 11 issue.  My wife's machine is still on Windows 10 Pro, and it's BSOD'ing like mine did.  I've updated all the drivers on mine, and still have to update my wife's to the latest drivers.  But, I'm not holding out hope. 

The issues with mine did seem to increase with the upgrade to Windows 11, so I rolled mine back the last time to Windows 10.  The BSODS seem to have slowed down some, but they've not totally stopped.  

Like many on this forum, I've been using Dell systems, particularly at the office, for years.  I don't have the issues with the older refurb Dell laptops and desktops we have at the office, that we're having with this particular model of Dell laptop.  Like many others, I'm done with Dell.

8 Posts

November 28th, 2022 19:00

I think I can share the same observations.  Windows 10 was more stable -- but still had regular BSOD crashes.  Now on Win 11 (it was the upgrade route, not a complete wipe), it's crashing multiple times a day -- sometimes just right after logging in.  Like others, I have done full HD format and reinstall with nothing else installed and it is still unstable.   Since I've been writing this message on a working computer, the Inspiron 5515 has crashed 3 times just because I looked at it wrong.

November 29th, 2022 09:00

crashes since I purchased.pngDaily failures.png

Yeah, this has crashed since it was purchased in october, you can see from the weekly and you can also see it crashes multiple times daily,  mine loses the bluetooth adapter all the time

10 Posts

December 1st, 2022 11:00

Thanks for the update; sorry to hear the issue continues with both your and your wife's machines. I've given up trying to fix mine, but am holding onto it on the off chance that Dell steps up and comes up with some sort of solution for us. I know, fat chance, but sure would be nice to be able to use this thing as more than a hugely expensive paperweight--and painful reminder of all the untold frustration and wasted hours it cost.

10 Posts

December 1st, 2022 12:00

Thanks for chiming in with your shared experience. At least your machine is still under warranty; hopefully you can get a replacement that actually works as it should!

10 Posts

December 1st, 2022 12:00

So frustrating. I've experienced ZERO BSOD crashes on all previous computers I've had, Dell or otherwise; this is simply unacceptable, especially for a newer machine. I'm not going to bother rolling back to WIN 10 if it's not a complete fix. On to setting up my new Lenova. Thanks for sharing your experience.

8 Posts

December 2nd, 2022 05:00

Try going to the Microsoft community and asking about the issue there. I have seen there if you give them the Minidump file then they will read it, and tell you what the Minidump file says is causing the BSOD. Also try opening an Administrative Command Prompt and try running the following Commands one by one

• sfc /scannow
  • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
  • Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
  • Dism /online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth 

Also for using Dism to repair a Windows 10 Image refer to: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/repair-a-windows-image?view=windows-10 For Windows 11 refer to https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/repair-a-windows-image?view=windows-11 
I highly suggest asking the Microsoft Community about this issue as well. Maybe the Microsoft Community can help you solve your issue. We will never know if they can help you solve your issue if you don't try it.

22 Posts

December 19th, 2022 07:00

And yet another crash running Ubuntu Linux.  You can't tell me it's a "configuration issue", or a "corrupted driver issue", when the crashes continue in Ubuntu Linux, nearly as frequently as they have been under Windows.

22 Posts

December 19th, 2022 07:00

Well, here's an update that in my mind, lends credence to the notion most of us here have that it's a hardware issue, and *not*, as Dell Tech Support would have us believe, a software issue, or corrupted drivers, etc.  I just installed Ubuntu Linux on this laptop, and it just crashed on me.  Of course, I didn't get any BSOD, because Ubuntu doesn't have BSODs, but it definitely crashed.  Yes, I'm dual-booting Windows 10 and Ububuntu Linux on this laptop.  But, when it's running on the Linux side, there's no software from Microsoft or Dell involved.

And for the record, while the instances of BSODs on my laptop (while in Windows 10 Home) have *somewhat* subsided, they still occur.  My wife's laptop, however, is BSOD'ing on her several times per day.  Now, she understands the temptation I've had for several months now of drop-kicking these laptops across the room.  That, however, would be a *bad* idea, as these laptops aren't paid for yet. 

So, Dell has lost a long-time customer both for my work, as well as personal use.

No Events found!