Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

2 Posts

June 11th, 2020 02:00

Dell Inspiron 5579 power adapter issues

Hi all

i wonder if anyone would be able to help me?  I bought my daughter a Dell Inspiron 5579 2 in 1 laptop 18 months ago.  Just before the warranty ended, the power adapter seemed to fail and so rather than a contact Dell I simply replaced the charger with a compatible one.

That charger lasted about 1 month and then failed.  As the warranty had ended for the laptop I had to replace the adapter again.  In the last 6 months I have now had to replace the adapter 4 times.  The last adapter was a genuine Dell adapter which actually lasted 2 months.

When the first adapter went, there was an error message on the screen about not recognising the wattage - Alert! The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.

As new chargers work for a limited time, what could be the issue?  I’m hoping it’s not the motherboard as that is very expensive to replace, not to mention difficult to get hold of.

Any advice would be really appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

5.6K Posts

June 11th, 2020 08:00

Try replacing DC power jack.

June 11th, 2020 11:00

Ok thanks - is that likely to blow the adapters though?  It’s a cheap fix and so will give it a go though.

No Events found!