Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SD

9 Posts

October 28th, 2020 04:00

Dell Inspiron 5583 and 5584 System BIOS issue

I got a notification from Dell Updates to update the BIOS as it had important fixes.

The update went fine and was successful.

After restart, the system hangs after 10 minutes.

Any help would be appreciated for the same.

Here is the link to the update that went: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-in/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=ymjtf&oscode=wt64a&productcode=inspiron-15-5584-laptop

Thanks,
Dhruvin

• 

25.1K Posts

October 28th, 2020 05:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 28th, 2020 05:00

shah.dhruvin,

Restart the computer & tap F2 to get into the BIOS screen, set BIOS to defaults, save & exit. Check the BIOS version installed.

Do you have any external device connected to the system like a hard drive, dock or a printer?

If the issue persists open task manager – click on startup tab & check the Last BIOS time on the upper right corner.

October 28th, 2020 06:00

Thank you @DELL-Jesse L for the steps but I am not sure if I am on the right track.

Can you please let me know if this is what you meant in the BIOS screen?
20201028_191212.jpg

Looking forward for your response.

Thanks,
Dhruvin

• 

16.7K Posts

October 28th, 2020 06:00

shah.dhruvin,

Yes, you are on the right track. just choose factory defaults. save the changes and reboot.

October 28th, 2020 07:00

@DELL-Jesse L I followed like you mentioned and did a reboot as well but still my system hangs and freezes.

I will answer the other questions you had asked:

>Do you have any external device connected to the system like a hard drive, dock or a printer?
No, there are no external devices connected.

>If the issue persists open task manager – click on startup tab & check the Last BIOS time on the upper right corner.
Last BIOS time shows 8.4 seconds. Attaching the screenshot for your reference.
20201028_195135.jpg

Thanks,
Dhruvin

• 

16.7K Posts

October 28th, 2020 07:00

shah.dhruvin,

Boot back in the bios and restore the bios defaults save changes and exit.  If the problem persists run the diagnostics by following the information below.

Running the ePSA diagnostics

1.Turn on your computer.

https://dell.to/3ecc8K8 the computer boots press the F12 key as the Dell logo appears.

3.On the boot menu screen, select the Diagnostics option.

https://dell.to/2HHgnRA the arrow at the bottom left corner.
The diagnostics front page is displayed. 

https://dell.to/34BcAOT the arrow in the lower-right corner to go to the page listing.
The items detected are listed. 

https://dell.to/2TyigTi run a diagnostic test on a specific device, press Esc and click Yes to stop the diagnostic test.

https://dell.to/3e4CjCb the device from the left pane and click Run Tests.

8.If there are any issues, error codes are displayed.
Note the error code and validation number and contact Dell. 

• 

16.7K Posts

October 29th, 2020 07:00

shah.dhruvin,

Following up to see if you ran the diagnostics and if it showed any failures? Let us know

3 Apprentice

• 

1.1K Posts

October 29th, 2020 10:00

Hi shah.dhruvin:

Just wanted you to know that I have an Inspiron 15 5584 laptop purchased in August 2019 and began experiencing intermittent system freezes on 09-Oct-2019 (the day after the BIOS was updated from v1.5.2 to v1.7.1). See my 13-June-2020 post in msgmz's thread Inspiron 5559 Touch Pad Problem for further details. I opened a support ticket with DELL-Cares but all their suggestions, including modifications to my BIOS settings, had no effect and I never found a solution for this problem before my one-year support warranty expired. By March 2020 these system freezes were occurring almost daily, and the only common factor I noticed is that I was usually typing on my keyboard or scrolling with my touchpad when my system became unresponsive. Ctrl+Alt+Del had no effect, and I had to perform a hard shutdown by holding down the power button, often resulting in loss of unsaved data. The case of my Inspiron 5584 laptop does not have any external LED indicator lights showing the status of my power, hard drive, or WiFi (a poor design decision on Dell's part, in my opinion) so I had no way of knowing if my SSD was still working when my screen would freeze. I couldn't see any obvious errors logged in the Event Viewer just prior to these freezes - just an Event ID 6008 stating "The previous system shutdown at xx:xx on 20xx-xx-xx was unexpected" as shown below for each hard shutdown I performed by holding down the power button.  I kept my system updated with all updates recommended by Dell SupportAssist, and System File Checker (sfc /scannow) and hardware scans could not detect a problem.

Dell Inspiron 5584 Event Manager Event ID 6008 After Forced Shutdown EDITED 24 Feb 2020.png

The link in your original post suggests the update to BIOS v1.11.1 (Inspiron_5583_5584_1.11.1.exe, released 20-Aug-2020) is the possible cause of your system freezes. My Inspiron 15 5584 became very unstable after installing this BIOS v1.11.1 update in late August 2020 and I had to perform a reset to factory condition on 30-Aug-2020 after my system would not boot up. It would freeze shortly after the Dell logo appeared during the POST test (tapping Function keys like F2, F8 and F12 during bootup had no effect) and it required several hard reboots - and several failed suggestions from Dell phone support - before I finally managed to access the recovery options. After the reset to factory condition on 30-Aug-2020 I used Dell Update to install all recommended updates (including the recommended Intel UHD Graphics 620 v26.20.100.8141 driver and BIOS v1.11.1) and my system is much more stable now, but still have the occasional problem waking my system from Sleep Mode.

I hope you have better luck finding the root cause of your system freezes.
-------------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v1909 build 18363.1082 * Firefox 82.0.2 * Windows Defender v4.18.2009.7 * Malwarebytes Free v4.2.2.95
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U@1.60/1.80 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

October 29th, 2020 22:00

Hi @DELL-Jesse L thanks for the follow up.

There were no error codes reported after I ran the diagnostics and troublsehooting.
I contact Dell Support and they shared a link to downgrade my BIOS to 1.10.0 and it went through successfully.

But still my system freezes any time.

Here are the current apps on my system if that helps:

status.PNG

I also did a Windows reset but that too did not help.

Looking forward to other suggestions.

Thanks,
Dhruvin

• 

25.1K Posts

October 29th, 2020 22:00

Hi,

Could you open Task Manager and send us a picture to see the memory usage and hard drive usage?

• 

25.1K Posts

October 30th, 2020 00:00

You may write back here with the memory usage shown in the Task Manager and the hard drive usage.

October 30th, 2020 00:00

@DELL-Cares not able to attach the images as this editor is currently showing errors. Is there any other way I can attach the images?

• 

25.1K Posts

October 30th, 2020 02:00

Hello, Dhruvin. Due to some technical difficulties, I am unable to view these images. Could you private message us so that we can give you the email address to email the images?

October 30th, 2020 02:00

@DELL-Cares 

Here are the memory and other details from the task manager:

Memory:
memory.PNG

SSD:
SSD.PNG

Disk:
disk1.PNG

Thanks,
Dhruvin

November 1st, 2020 00:00

@lmacri- Thanks for your suggestions but I tried updating everything to the latest updates but that did not work out. I also did a complete Windows reset as well, but still the system some times freezes intermittently.

Please note - it works well in Safe Mode. So I am assuming it might not be related to Hardware

Thanks,
Dhruvin

No Events found!