Inspiron

Last reply by 07-29-2022 Solved
Start a Discussion

Dell Inspiron 5593 keyboard keys intermittently working (SPACE, LEFT, RIGHT)

Anyone has any suggestions for fixing a Dell keyboard with keys intermittently working? My darn laptop is spanking new only 4 months old and it's already showing issues with mostly the space bar and the arrow keys, which I use a lot for editing and some minor gaming. Dell solution is to send them the laptop for repair and wait about a week or more to get it back, obviously removing everything I have on it. Especially now that I am working form home, this is not a good solution for me. I had tried a couple things, but nothing fixes it. Any ideas on what to try?

Now for the rant... I'm pretty sick and tired of Dell already! Used to be a fan of Dell laptops, but as time goes by they're getting worse and worse. Their support is a joke and seems like their product quality is going down the rabbit hole. I had this laptop for only 4 months! 

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
3 Argentum

You could try to see if its just a corrupted driver. Go into Device Manager and uninstall the driver for the keyboard and reboot and driver will reinstall and see if that fixes it. Otherwise its most likely a bad keyboard and will need replacing. 

View solution in original post

Replies (96)
6 Indium

It could be that the keys are either broken or dirty.

If you want to do it yourself, you can try.

Or send it back to Dell since it is under warranty.

3 Argentum

You could try to see if its just a corrupted driver. Go into Device Manager and uninstall the driver for the keyboard and reboot and driver will reinstall and see if that fixes it. Otherwise its most likely a bad keyboard and will need replacing. 

Thank you for your reply. I tried cleaning it with one of those air cans, but problem persists. Will try a few other things and if not, will have to end for repair after the pandemic.

Thank you for your reply. I tried updating the drive, and had the latest, but have not tried the uninstall/re-install. Will give that a try.

Uninstalling the keyboard driver seem to have fix the issue.

I uninstalled the keyboard driver it seemed to working for few mins then again same things started what should I do ?

I uninstalled 2-3 times but same thing happened again n again ..

@Anonymous 

Is it a software issue or hardware issue?

Jay1930,

You may want to get a can of Air and clean the keyboard to see if that will resolve the issue. You can also click here for troubleshooting your keyboard/

Have you recently installed any hardware or software into the system?  Click here and update the system bios. Also, start the computer and tap the F12 key. Choose to run the ePSA diags on the system.

Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

Thanks for replying 

I did all the things mentioned below didn't found any issue in ePSA diags 

After doing all that keyboard started working perfectly for an hr 

But after that again space,n,b, space,2 not responding intermediately..

When I specifically checked in keyboard diags keys where working perfectly 

My support assistant was not loading so had installed it from dell website which failed 2 times nothing else was installed 

@DELL-Jesse L 

I faced the same issue. 'n', 'b', spacebar, '/' and down arrow key wasn't working. Just uninstall the HID Event Filter Driver. IT FIXES EVERYTHING. DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT. It worked like a charm. I don't know know why have they even given that driver. It's useless. Only causes problems. I had a torrid time these past few days. This driver is almost like a spyware/virus. My keyboard now functions as smooth as ever. 

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor