Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2020 11:00

Dell Inspiron 5593 keyboard keys intermittently working (SPACE, LEFT, RIGHT)

Anyone has any suggestions for fixing a Dell keyboard with keys intermittently working? My darn laptop is spanking new only 4 months old and it's already showing issues with mostly the space bar and the arrow keys, which I use a lot for editing and some minor gaming. Dell solution is to send them the laptop for repair and wait about a week or more to get it back, obviously removing everything I have on it. Especially now that I am working form home, this is not a good solution for me. I had tried a couple things, but nothing fixes it. Any ideas on what to try?

Now for the rant... I'm pretty sick and tired of Dell already! Used to be a fan of Dell laptops, but as time goes by they're getting worse and worse. Their support is a joke and seems like their product quality is going down the rabbit hole. I had this laptop for only 4 months! 

247 Posts

April 2nd, 2020 03:00

You could try to see if its just a corrupted driver. Go into Device Manager and uninstall the driver for the keyboard and reboot and driver will reinstall and see if that fixes it. Otherwise its most likely a bad keyboard and will need replacing. 

5.6K Posts

April 1st, 2020 11:00

It could be that the keys are either broken or dirty.

If you want to do it yourself, you can try.

Or send it back to Dell since it is under warranty.

April 3rd, 2020 12:00

Thank you for your reply. I tried updating the drive, and had the latest, but have not tried the uninstall/re-install. Will give that a try.

April 3rd, 2020 12:00

Thank you for your reply. I tried cleaning it with one of those air cans, but problem persists. Will try a few other things and if not, will have to end for repair after the pandemic.

April 11th, 2020 08:00

Uninstalling the keyboard driver seem to have fix the issue.

12 Posts

May 20th, 2020 06:00

I uninstalled the keyboard driver it seemed to working for few mins then again same things started what should I do ?

I uninstalled 2-3 times but same thing happened again n again ..

@Anonymous 

Is it a software issue or hardware issue?

• 

16.7K Posts

May 20th, 2020 07:00

Jay1930,

You may want to get a can of Air and clean the keyboard to see if that will resolve the issue. You can also click here for troubleshooting your keyboard/

Have you recently installed any hardware or software into the system?  Click here and update the system bios. Also, start the computer and tap the F12 key. Choose to run the ePSA diags on the system.

12 Posts

May 21st, 2020 06:00

Thanks for replying 

I did all the things mentioned below didn't found any issue in ePSA diags 

After doing all that keyboard started working perfectly for an hr 

But after that again space,n,b, space,2 not responding intermediately..

When I specifically checked in keyboard diags keys where working perfectly 

My support assistant was not loading so had installed it from dell website which failed 2 times nothing else was installed 

@DELL-Jesse L 

2 Posts

May 25th, 2020 21:00

I faced the same issue. 'n', 'b', spacebar, '/' and down arrow key wasn't working. Just uninstall the HID Event Filter Driver. IT FIXES EVERYTHING. DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT. It worked like a charm. I don't know know why have they even given that driver. It's useless. Only causes problems. I had a torrid time these past few days. This driver is almost like a spyware/virus. My keyboard now functions as smooth as ever. 

1 Message

May 27th, 2020 13:00

Thanks it's working, but how did u uninstall it forever? It always reinstall by himself I hope they will fix it in update.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2020 14:00

I am having the exact same issue and I am a writer (so fast typer)! So frustrating on my 6 month old Dell. How do I uninstall that driver? MyDell Support tells me I have the most updated driver but I never know when the space bar, n, b, and arrow keys will stop working! Grrrrrr

1 Message

June 19th, 2020 09:00

I am having the same issue with my keyboard on 'b','n','m','space bar','/', numlock pad '2' and arrow keys!! this is very frustrated on a 8 months old laptop! i have follow the solution to uninstall the keyboard driver but problem still persist!!!! what a bad laptop i having right now!!! Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

June 22nd, 2020 05:00

@Johnnythegeek @DELL-Jesse L @dell     So many users facing same problem with same keys, this is definitely manufacturing defect in Dell Inspiron 5593. Dell should recalled all the products for replacement by themselves, not after we contact them. They themselves are ruining their goodwill. I am having the same issue with my keyboard on LETTER'S 'b','n','alt','space bar','/', numlock pad '2' and arrow (Right, Down & Left) keys!! so Total 9 Keys!!! this is very frustrating on a 6 months old laptop! I followed the solution to uninstall the keyboard driver but problem still persist!!!! It Automatically Installs HID Keyboard Device (4 times) & Standard PS/2 Keyboard. what a bad laptop i am having right now!!! Product purchased from USA, right now I'm in India. Even, i contacted customer service in India, not possible within India as they mentioned, Warranty in USA, so giving back to USA customer service, for free replacement, which is not possible right now as Covid 19 crisis. I expect a humble solution for my problem as i am working from home this is a big issue for me. Please look after my problem and solve it as soon as possible so next in future i won't switch my company when i think to buy a laptop.  ,

1 Message

June 22nd, 2020 13:00

When I uninstall HID Event Filter Driver, my (N, B, space, left, right) keys start working which means that it is a software issue for sure. @DELL-Jesse L please let me know how to fix this software issue permanently?

247 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 12:00

I believe your right, this looks to be a defect of some kind, either a bad batch of keyboards or a lousy design. I have a 5593 and have not experienced any issues as yet but have only owned the notebook a few months. I have read a couple things from users that may indicate that the bottom of notebook may be flexing enough to cause a issue. One person indicated if the notebook was on a flat hard surface everything worked. I myself with my 5593 have noticed a ghost left click registering when I pick up the notebook from the bottom left corner. In any case, there is a pattern of similar issues with the keyboard on this model. 

No Events found!