Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 1st, 2020 11:00

Dell Inspiron 5593 keyboard keys intermittently working (SPACE, LEFT, RIGHT)

Anyone has any suggestions for fixing a Dell keyboard with keys intermittently working? My darn laptop is spanking new only 4 months old and it's already showing issues with mostly the space bar and the arrow keys, which I use a lot for editing and some minor gaming. Dell solution is to send them the laptop for repair and wait about a week or more to get it back, obviously removing everything I have on it. Especially now that I am working form home, this is not a good solution for me. I had tried a couple things, but nothing fixes it. Any ideas on what to try?

Now for the rant... I'm pretty sick and tired of Dell already! Used to be a fan of Dell laptops, but as time goes by they're getting worse and worse. Their support is a joke and seems like their product quality is going down the rabbit hole. I had this laptop for only 4 months! 

June 23rd, 2020 22:00

@DELL-Jesse L Thank you so much for our pending query reply. As your preferences DELL system need to US back for free replacement Keyboard. I'm frequent flyer to US but in this current scenario of Covid - 19, can't travel to US and vice-versa. This is impossible to travel as Indian Government restrictions without any reason and If you are not citizen of US except Health Emergency with Doctor Certificate. You might be aware of this situation. So in this case, my brother will follow up you as he is original owner of the DELL system, where system deliver. you or authority of customer care give them Part of Inspiron 5593 Keyboard as free replacement. We will manage part to deliver in India after situation open up as system in India.

Against follow up reply, below, Subject: Re: You’ve received a private message from Dell Community Forum
Date: 06-22-2020 09:39 AM

Jay Mehta,

You would need to have the system back in the US in order for the keyboard to be replaced.  Since this is where the warranty is located.

Dell-Jesse L

July 4th, 2020 11:00

I have the same issue and I tried virtually all software options I could found on the net. Drivers, registry buffer sizes, removing unnecessary windows part, upgrading/downgrading BIOS.

I thought initially that it is a software issue because keys are working well, but not all the time. I thought so until I got Ubuntu flash stick and saw n b space etc not working there. So now I think this is a hardware issue.

Maybe Dell should consider if not a recall company, but at least doing something, like accepting problem exists and issuing guidelines describing the situation and showing us the fastest way possible to fix the issue. Like saying that serial numbers from A to B had a hardware issue which causes keys not working etc and requires replacement action or smth.

Reading forums for solutions and try and fail approach is OK for no-name copycat products named DEELL. I hope we are not there yet with our brand new laptops.

It looks like this forum part is a great place for feedback from the manufacturer.

July 4th, 2020 13:00

Update to my post above. I bought (for peanuts, fortunately) from China a replacement keyboard. Just to be sure that it is a hardware issue.

When you uncover your laptop, you see that keyboard inside a laptop is attached with molten plastic to the body. So you can't just unscrew and replace. You have to disassemble the whole thing, take your soldering iron, and probably your kid's toy as a source of plastic. Are screws so expensive that Dell decided to solder keyboards to the body? It's a replacement part for coffee maniacs like me.

The good news that clarifies the situation is that when I connect a new keyboard, my lovely n b space etc keys work! When I connect back they don't work again. Unfortunately, particularly this replacement keyboard had another set of keys broken. Can't blame Dell for this of course, but maybe it is because this keyboard is flexible as a sheet of paper? Cost-saving is something that must have a limit.

I'm completely disappointed with Dell quality and engineering approach for this product.

12 Posts

July 18th, 2020 04:00

I had written before that it started working after a driver update but after a few days of that again the keyboard started giving problems on uneven surfaces 

I uninstalled drivers n all but still it doesn't work 

Plss dell fix it I'm a engineering student need my laptop every day and few keys not working is really frustrating

@Anonymous 

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 06:00

Hi All

I have recently purchased Dell Inspiron Laptop, Its been over 04 days i started facing the similar issue, "SPACE BAR, B, N, **bleep** ARROWS, NUMPAD-2 CTRL" It works intermittently, Has anyone any resolution  

• 

16.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 06:00

Guri0106,

Have you watched the video sent to you by the previous technician?

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 07:00

Yes i did check that video, It is  related to KEYBOARD removal & i believe it not required Please note i have done everything possible which is my hand. 

Please understand my problem, in last 4 day, few of my account has been blocked i entered incorrect password, LOL- B, N & 2 are not  working

• 

16.7K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 08:00

Guri0106,

Was there any liquid spilled on the keyboard? Do you have an external keyboard you can attach to the system? Run the ePSA diags on the keyboard

1. Turn on your computer.
  2. As the computer boots, press the F12 key as the Dell logo appears.
  3. On the boot menu screen, select the Diagnostics option.
  4. Click the arrow at the bottom left corner.
    Diagnostics front page is displayed.
  5. Click the arrow in the lower-right corner to go to the page listing.
    The items detected are listed.
  6. To run a diagnostic test on a specific device, press Esc and click Yes to stop the diagnostic test.
  7. Select the device from the left pane and click Run Tests.
  8. If there are any issues, error codes are displayed.
    Note the error code and validation number and contact Dell.

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 08:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E3whNYXrck&linkId=94607767 

This was the video & it is related to Desktop.

6 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 09:00

Thank You for the Steps & i take really good care of my belongings, Nothing has spilled  over  my laptop, Let me wait till tom evening, i am going to call DELL customer service, lets see what they have to offer, otherwise i use given diagnostic.

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2020 10:00

I have the same issue. I reinstalled factory default windows version and it worked at first but then the problem reappeared. I uninstall the event filter device driver every time I boot up the laptop. I think this is very frustrating and @Anonymous should provide a solution because it seems this is a manufacturing defect. A replacement or free in home repair service should be provided. I cannot afford to send my device for repair and wait for 2 weeks.

2 Posts

Hi,

How long have you been using the new keyboard? Because the issue might return if its a manufacturing defect no?

12 Posts

I had the same issue I contacted dell for replacement of keyboard n they did it now it works perfectly U can ask dell for onsite repair of ur device

12 Posts

Just a few days

1 Message

August 21st, 2020 04:00

I have the same problem. the laptop is barely 6 months old and hardly had any keyboards use (i use mostly different one). dell technicians in my country do not accept the core of the problem and keep replacing keyboards. due to the covid-19 I can't fix the problem nor putting the laptop down at a lab for a month. but the warranty clocks ticking... I'm a student and I use it a lot. Dell please reach out to Us. look at how many people facing the same exact problem and acknowledge the bad batch or design. @Anonymous

No Events found!