Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

6 Posts

June 30th, 2020 07:00

Dell Inspiron 7370 Temperature Shooting Up

Hello. I have been using the Dell Inspiron 7370 for a couple of years now and I have always been experiencing overheating problems. I was able to handle it normally but situations became worse. Just today I was having issues with Microsoft Office so I decided to reinstall it. Just within 5 minutes of downloading, with no other apps opened, the fans started to ramp up until its max and I checked the temperature, which appeared to be at 90 degrees average. I force-closed the download, reconfirmed it in the task manager and shut down the laptop for a little while. After several minutes I turned it on, browsed the web and within 10 minutes the fans ramped up again, and temperatures shot up to 90 degrees once again. I closed all opened software, confirmed it by checking task manager, and left it idled. For 5 minutes straight the temperature maintained at 90 degrees and the fans didn't seem to slow down, although it was confirmed that ALL apps were closed. I shut down, waited another 5 minutes, and the same thing happened again. Did the same thing for a couple of times until I decided to not use it. Can anyone provide me with a solution? On a side note, the TurboBoost is turned off, the bios and everything is up to date, and have tried every solution I see on the internet, such as adjusting the power settings in Control Panel and keeping the vents dust-free. Looking forward to a response. Your reply is highly appreciated.

1.5K Posts

June 30th, 2020 16:00

Clean out your cooling system it's probably full of dust, blocking air circulation 

To get this information you need to log on to  Dell Support, enter your model number, and most importantly Enter your Service Tag Number. 

That will open all the hardware information on your Particular notebook, You should download and read your Service Manual there you will find out how to open your notebook and clean it out.

6 Posts

July 2nd, 2020 07:00

Hello. As I have already stated, I have already followed most procedures that I have found online, which includes cleaning out the dusts from air vents. I have opened up the laptop to have a deeper check for dusts in the fan, but the problem still persisted.

1.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 07:00

Sounds like you'll need to repaste your CPU & GPU  look online YouTube for videos on how this is accomplished. My main advice is to stay away from liquid Metal paste these need expert technicians to apply correctly and can damage your MB if used incorrectly. 

247 Posts

July 2nd, 2020 12:00

Seems like all the newer Intel mobile CPU's core i5 and up are allowed to run hotter and turbo up more than previous versions. I see some really troubling temps myself closing in on 100c according to CoreTemp. Interesting that Intel now considers this OK as long as cooling system and throttling can maintain 100c or less for brief periods. I tried replacing the OEM heat sink compound but honestly there was nothing wrong with it. I did not see any better results by replacing the compound. I personally don't think its good to even have brief times at 100c or near that for any CPU. 

1.5K Posts

July 2nd, 2020 12:00

What paste did you use?

Also, did you ensure that the heat sink is exactly flat against the CPU, many times a slight tweak to even this connection up help a lot? The last pasting I did I used IC diamond. I'm not up on the latest paste I have desktops that I set up in 2013 that are still Idleing in the Low 20c my ambient is on average 25 C these never get over 60C and run in the high 30's with general everyday business use. I know the Liquid Metal paste work really great but are also very difficult to apply correctly and done incorrectly can destroy your Motherboard.

Proper repasting will usually improve even a brand new notebook, the factory uses  paste or pads to make up for incorrect alignment of the heatsink to the CPU

No Events found!