Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2018 03:00

Dell Inspiron 7537 - Hard Drive Upgrade HELP

Hi guys

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 7537.

Actually my hard drive storage capacity is 500GB.

I would like to upgrade it to 2TB.

I'd like to buy a brand new 2TB internal hard drive online. 

Grateful if you can drop me the specs I need ( size, 2.5'' etc..SATA and all those details) to look for to make sure IT'S FULLY COMPATIBLE  with my Dell Inspiron 7537.

Awaiting your reply before I order.

Thanks

Yannick​​

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

March 4th, 2018 03:00

I would not buy a hard drive on EBay - buy from a vendor that's authorized to sell drives from the manufacturer.  If you do buy on EBay, realize that if the drive were to fail, you'd be paying for a replacement.

The only real reason for replacing a drive in this case is the age of the existing drive - but if you keep image backups (on an external hard drive), even if age catches up to the drive and it fails, you're covered.  

So - an external backup drive -- particularly if you don't now have one -- is the way to go.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 3rd, 2018 07:00

Please post the specific model of hard drive you have, which you should be able to see in Device Manager.  SATA drives are pretty straightforward, but there are a few different thicknesses, and some systems have slimmer bays than others.  A 15" Inspiron as you have probably supports up to the standard 9.5mm thickness, but may as well check first by finding out the thickness of your current drive.

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

March 3rd, 2018 09:00

Any standard 2.5" SATA notebook drive that's 9.5 mm or slimmer (most are now 7 mm) will work.  

If you install a 7 mm drive in the system, you may need to add a spacer so the drive makes physical contact with the mainboard:

https://www.amazon.com/EDGE-7mm-9-5mm-Spacer-Adapter/dp/B014LQM6I2

@ejn63 wrote:

Any standard 2.5" SATA notebook drive that's 9.5 mm or slimmer (most are now 7 mm) will work.  

If you install a 7 mm drive in the system, you may need to add a spacer so the drive makes physical contact with the mainboard:

https://www.amazon.com/EDGE-7mm-9-5mm-Spacer-Adapter/dp/B014LQM6I2

How about this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-SPINPOINT-M9T-2TB-2000GB-ST2000LM003-SATA3-2-5-HARD-DRIVE/142103004160?epid=175758044&hash=item2115ffc400:g:ycUAAOSwal5YCI1G

(P:s my laptop is a Dell Inspiron 7537 15.6 inches.)

@avtella wrote:
You can order just about any 2.5” Drive for this model, I personally would recommend HGST (Hitachi) as they usually have lower failure rates or even Toshiba.

@avtella wrote:
You can order just about any 2.5” Drive for this model, I personally would recommend HGST (Hitachi) as they usually have lower failure rates or even Toshiba.

So basically, ANY 2.5'' drive will fit my Dell 7537, you CONFIRM?

So SATA, 2.5''...Any other details I need to be aware of please before I order? I might go for Ebay or Amazon as they ship to my location.

66 Posts

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

March 3rd, 2018 10:00

The drive will work with your system - that said, watch out on EBay purchases.  Make sure the drive carries a manufacture's warranty - the price is suspiciously low and if it's an OEM drive (meant for system manufacturers such as Dell, etc.). it may come with no warranty.*

*Make that definite - the feedback listed makes it clear this is not a new drive - and it's OEM, meaning no warranty.

March 3rd, 2018 21:00

@ejn63 wrote:

The drive will work with your system - that said, watch out on EBay purchases.  Make sure the drive carries a manufacture's warranty - the price is suspiciously low and if it's an OEM drive (meant for system manufacturers such as Dell, etc.). it may come with no warranty.*

*Make that definite - the feedback listed makes it clear this is not a new drive - and it's OEM, meaning no warranty.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate!

So what is your best advice to me? Do I need to have a Manufacturer's warranty from the Ebay Seller for the Drive?

What would be your best tip by the way - Actually I have a 500GB internal drive which has 200GB left and some say it's best to have an internal upgrade and others say simply go for an external drive like 2TB. Your views?

No Events found!