Highlighted
PedroAlves
1 Copper

Dell Inspiron 7566 power button not responding

Hello,

I have a Dell Inspiron 7566 and been having problems with the power button. After replacing the display that was faulty I reassembled the laptop. Everything was working well. The day after the laptop wouldn't power on, just no response on pressing the power button. So I opened it again and reseated the power ribbon to the logic board. Before screwing back the palm rest, I tested it and was working. After reassembling it stopped working. So opened it again, and added a bit of electrical tape to keep it in place along the palm rest, as it's a very long ribbon and gets out of place very easily. After reseating the ribbon again and reassembling (I tested several times as reassembled and added screws) It started to work again. But again, the day after, the same problem... No response from the power button.

Could this be a problem with the ribbon that is a bit twisted, the connector on the logic board? Or something else?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Dell Inspiron 7566 power button not responding

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you on this.

This seems to be an issue with the power button board. Try to reseat the ribbon cable & make sure that the cable is not twisted.

When connecting the AC adapter to your computer, does the light on the adapter stay on?

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it?

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
To help us troubleshoot, send us via a private message: Dell PC or Monitor Service Tag number
Out of Warranty Support
Would you like to be a Dell Community Rockstar?

0 Kudos
PedroAlves
1 Copper

Re: Dell Inspiron 7566 power button not responding

Dear Sreejith, 

Today I have reopened the laptop, made sure the ribbon was straight. Where it connects to the logic board it appeared to be loose. So I added a small insert of thin plastic on top of the ribbon inside the connector. Now it appears to be firm in place. I will be testing the computer tonight and see if stays good. Will let you know. 

Thank you

0 Kudos